Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling fuse 42 vs. buying 'Mild to Wild' box

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

It is DIY, but I think it was originally the same size as M2W.

The box is 1/2 in. longer than the circuit board inside. I just shortened the box. The width fits fine.
The following users liked this post:
2maxxie2 (02-12-2021)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Here's the same installation shot as in post #9 above after 5 labor-intensive minutes w/ a black Krylon paint pen. Didn't change anything w/ regard to the routing of the wires.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but I can control this via the head unit under settings....And put the exhaust under four different settings. Why would I need this?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Yes, you can change the NPP setting in the center screen, settings menu, but no matter what setting you choose, the valves will still close in various situations. Some people don't like that so they pull the fuse that controls the NPP system, which keeps them open all the time.

This device provides a way of "pulling the fuse" electronically, with the press of a button, or "putting the fuse back in" with another button press if you want return to the OEM settings.

Do you need it? Only you can decide that. If you haven't noticed that the valves still close even in the Track setting, or if that's of no concern to you, you don't need it.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-04-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by ea327
OK, I have to ask. Why not just put a simple toggle switch under the dash in series with the fuse? That's what I plan to do.
Exactly what I did for my C6 NPP. It was just easier since the fuse box was under the carpet in front of the passenger footwell. Even had a How To PDF.

Just looked at that PDF and Theta's C7 current draw data. Made a diagram similar to what I had for my C6 along with some pics from the PDF. Two #18 size wires should be find since he measured 4 amps operating and estimated 10 amp inrush. But could use #16 that would handle 20 amps for that short length.

I put the switch in the the cut off bottom of an old stainless coffee mug and attached in the cup holder with Velcro. Made access easy with your right hand. Fished the wires through a small hole made in the front side of the cup holder with a stiff piece of wire from under the dash. There is a good video by Curb Alert showing how to route wires inside the cabin from the engine compartment. All wires would be hidden from the corner of the engine compartment as they go inside the car under the dash.

If you install take some pics. Thanks

An advantage of a simple switch is you can see if it's on or off and it's an instant change. Car starts however you have the switch position. For a quiet start, just keep the fuse connected as I also did in my C6 on the highway to stop objectionable drone.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-04-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Exactly what I did for my C6 NPP. It was just easier since the fuse box was under the carpet in front of the passenger footwell. Even had a How To PDF.

Just looked at that PDF and Theta's C7 current draw data. Made a diagram similar to what I had for my C6 along with some pics from the PDF. Two #18 size wires should be find since he measured 4 amps operating and estimated 10 amp inrush. But could use #16 that would handle 20 amps for that short length.

I put the switch in the the cut off bottom of an old stainless coffee mug and attached in the cup holder with Velcro. Made access easy with your right hand. Fished the wires through a small hole made in the front side of the cup holder with a stiff piece of wire from under the dash. There is a good video by Curb Alert showing how to route wires inside the cabin from the engine compartment. All wires would be hidden from the corner of the engine compartment as they go inside the car under the dash.

If you install take some pics. Thanks

An advantage of a simple switch is you can see if it's on or off and it's an instant change. Car starts however you have the switch position. For a quiet start, just keep the fuse connected as I also did in my C6 on the highway to stop objectionable drone.
Thanks, Jerry. That's just what I had in mind. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by ea327
Thanks, Jerry. That's just what I had in mind. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks,
There are three clips taken from the Curb Alert Video. It shows the right side trim that just pulls out or off with your hands and allows completely hiding the wires from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. Could also do the same on the left side if desired.

Clips from Curb Alert install video show how to pull aside or remove trim to hide wires..

Quick Reply: Pulling fuse 42 vs. buying 'Mild to Wild' box