C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine coolant temp reading zero?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:25 PM
maneuen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine coolant temp reading zero?

while driving this morning, I noticed that the car "never warmed up" via the tach. I checked the digital temp and it was normal, however the engine analog gauge was at zero. When I stopped and turned the car off, the fan's continued to run all full blast. The engine itself was cool / normal, thus I believe the digital temp was correct. The ambient temp at the time was 65, so again the car wasn't actually hot (so I assume the fan's are default safety measure the car has)

I assume somehow related (?), but the rev match feature also would not engage?

I was headed to a meeting so I couldn't detour to the dealership. After the meeting upon startup, the same thing is happening except now the digital temp is also zero. since the engine was previously running cool, I made the trip home (dealer was closed by this point). On the way home both gauges stayed at zero but now the check engine light came on.

For background the car is '16 z51 with D1 procharger, headers, and meth. (and the supporting stuff, 160 degree thermostat, z06 injectors and high pressure fuel pump)

I did some searching, at it appears either the coolant sensor is at fault or the 160 degree thermostat......but I'm open to other thoughts? / wondering if anyone had anything similar (and is the rev match related?), what ended up being the solution

I'll make the trip to the dealer on monday.

Last edited by maneuen; 03-04-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

It sounds like your coolant temp sensor is faulty, or disconnected. I think it is located on the front of the engine, near the throttle body, easy to change.

Last edited by ersatz928; 03-04-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 PM
jcrooker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Yikes, with all that stuff on there, good luck at the dealer.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If you thermostat sticks open OR the car doesn't warm up quickly enough (some have reported issues with 160 degree stats under low load operation) then the ECM senses a problem with the coolant temperature sensor and goes into a fail safe mode turning on the fan and disabling the temperature gauge.

The dealer is going to warranty block your car with all of your modifications and you are probably far better off having an aftermarket shop check/replace your thermostat if it is at fault since the dealer won't install a new 160 degree thermostat in any case. I believe after the fault is found and fixed you will have to erase the current DTCs to get the gauge to work/keep the fan from staying on because the controller will assume there is still a fault.

Last edited by NSC5; 03-04-2017 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
robertf97 (05-16-2018)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:11 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrooker
Really - that is exactly what I was thinking too.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, I'm thinking this story will not end well.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM
maneuen
Cruising

Good advise to avoid the dealer..... I should have said "shop" as I don't want to open that can of worms with the dealership over what seems to be a bad thermostat or a bad sensor.

Anyone happen to have a pic of exactly where coolant temp sensor is? on the older cars I know it was just above the header on the cylinder head.

Last edited by maneuen; 03-04-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM
NakedDave
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 148 Posts

what did it end up being maneuen?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

The coolant sensor and thermo are inexpensive so I don't think the OP is in bad shape.

EDIT: just noticed this is an old thread.

Last edited by Maxpowers; 05-16-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM
RCB1234
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is probably the gasket to the thermostat. I had that happen when I replaced mine to a 160. When I opened it up the gasket had torn and was partly gone. Replaced and the issue went away.
robertf97 (05-16-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:44 PM
merican1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ersatz928
It sounds like your coolant temp sensor is faulty, or disconnected. I think it is located on the front of the engine, near the throttle body, easy to change.

I had the same problem and I'm still having the same problem. I have a similar setup I have an East Coast supercharger, headers, meth injection, nitrous, all that. And my temperature gauge is at zero and the motor is cool and the fan stays on. I have a 180 thermostat in it. I changed the temperature sensor and it seem to kind of work but never really recorded the temperatures it normally runs. Then today it didn't work at all it was back to zero.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
merican1
Heel & Toe

Dealers are pussies. Lol.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 PM
merican1
Heel & Toe

Since i have already changed the sensor and still have the problem, the common denominator is that we have all changed our thermostat for cooler ones. Hmmm.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by merican1
Since i have already changed the sensor and still have the problem, the common denominator is that we have all changed our thermostat for cooler ones. Hmmm.
These threads come up every year as it starts to cool down. I assume the OP has tuned the car to accommodate the mods. Have your tuner turn off the coolant undertemp code. Done.
Detroit_Made (11-15-2022)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:26 PM
merican1
Heel & Toe

Default Merican1

Originally Posted by maneuen
while driving this morning, I noticed that the car "never warmed up" via the tach. I checked the digital temp and it was normal, however the engine analog gauge was at zero. When I stopped and turned the car off, the fan's continued to run all full blast. The engine itself was cool / normal, thus I believe the digital temp was correct. The ambient temp at the time was 65, so again the car wasn't actually hot (so I assume the fan's are default safety measure the car has)

I assume somehow related (?), but the rev match feature also would not engage?

I was headed to a meeting so I couldn't detour to the dealership. After the meeting upon startup, the same thing is happening except now the digital temp is also zero. since the engine was previously running cool, I made the trip home (dealer was closed by this point). On the way home both gauges stayed at zero but now the check engine light came on.

For background the car is '16 z51 with D1 procharger, headers, and meth. (and the supporting stuff, 160 degree thermostat, z06 injectors and high pressure fuel pump)

I did some searching, at it appears either the coolant sensor is at fault or the 160 degree thermostat......but I'm open to other thoughts? / wondering if anyone had anything similar (and is the rev match related?), what ended up being the solution

I'll make the trip to the dealer on monday.
did you find the problem... I have a similar setup on mine supercharged, meth, headers... I'm experiencing the same thing with the coolant temperature the fan running all the time and rev match not working. I have already changed the sensor????
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM
merican1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
These threads come up every year as it starts to cool down. I assume the OP has tuned the car to accommodate the mods. Have your tuner turn off the coolant undertemp code. Done.
Thanx, I'll give it a go.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04 AM
chris6.2c7
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NSC5
If you thermostat sticks open OR the car doesn't warm up quickly enough (some have reported issues with 160 degree stats under low load operation) then the ECM senses a problem with the coolant temperature sensor and goes into a fail safe mode turning on the fan and disabling the temperature gauge.

The dealer is going to warranty block your car with all of your modifications and you are probably far better off having an aftermarket shop check/replace your thermostat if it is at fault since the dealer won't install a new 160 degree thermostat in any case. I believe after the fault is found and fixed you will have to erase the current DTCs to get the gauge to work/keep the fan from staying on because the controller will assume there is still a fault.

if the car hasn’t thrown any code all it does is kick the fans into high and the temp analog doesn’t read would I just have to swap the temp sensor and thermostat ? I’m reading people saying I have to clear pcm or ecm whatever it is but there’s no codes to clear ?
Old 12-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6.2c7
if the car hasn’t thrown any code all it does is kick the fans into high and the temp analog doesn’t read would I just have to swap the temp sensor and thermostat ? I’m reading people saying I have to clear pcm or ecm whatever it is but there’s no codes to clear ?
Why open a 5-year-old thread to ask your question? Does the digital temperature gauge (seen in IP when using the Touring display read a temperature? Open a new thread and thoroughly/legibly describe your problem and what you are seeing on the instrument panel. Is the engine overheating? Is the fan running continuously? Has there been a loss of coolant?

To get you started DTCs P0117, P0118 and P0119 will cause the cooling fan to operate at high speed, disable the coolant temperature gauge (read zero) and disable the AC compressor. Is your AC compressor switching on?

P0117 sets when the engine coolant temp sensor is warmer than 300 degrees for more than 5 seconds. P0118 sets when the engine coolant temp sensor is cooler than -38 degrees for more than 5 seconds. P0119 sets when the engine coolant temp sensor is intermittent or abruptly changes for more than 3 seconds. Notice I didn't say the coolant is at any of those temperatures only that the sensor is reading those temperatures.

So far you haven't gone far enough to know whether you need to replace the thermostat or the sensor although the sensor is looking suspicious. At this point, even your IAT sensor could be involved as the system also compares coolant temp at start up to IAT at start up.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Engine coolant temp reading zero?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine coolant temp reading zero?