Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 PM
PatatasFritas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon law

All,

Looking for advice.

My '16 Z06 blew it's A8 transmission over a month ago while cruising on the highway. Was towed to dealer. They have been working on it since under warranty but have yet to fix it for a variety of reasons including delay in diagnosis, parts availability etc. In my state, Lemon law states that a vehicle that cannot be fixed within 30 days can be deemed a lemon. I am beyond that.

I plan on contacting an attorney to figure out what to do next given that I am making payments on this car and have no end in sight. I've contacted GM customer service with minimal assistance. I am obviously very disappointed here, and I think I am going to proceed with trying to get the full amount of the car back.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

What state?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM
NaplesTopLess
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 350Z that had a reoccurring problem that cause the car to be in the shop numerous times with Nissan not having any idea what was causing the problem. The last time the car was at the dealer for the same problem the car was coming up to the FL 30-day limit for the Lemmon Law and I told Nissan that if the car wasn’t fixed by the following Monday (the 30th day of total out of service for the same problem) I was going to invoke the Lemmon Law. Nissan acknowledge the Lemmon Law. However, on the Thursday before the 30th day, Nissan found the same problem with car in CA and overnighted a replacement flywheel which did in fact fixed the problem.
The point is that Nissan was going to replace or buy back the car on Monday per the Lemmon Law. I didn’t have to get an Attorney, just let Nissan know that the Lemmon Law time limit was met. I would contact both the Dealer and GM and let them know that you want to “Lemmon Law” your car and see what they will do. Check you State’s Lemmon Law notices and start the process.
PS: Not only did Nissan finally fix the car, they also gave me a cash settlement for my troubles.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM
USMMA96
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

I have lemon lawyed 2 cars for the 30 day out of service (1 was a GM product) did not need an attorney for either one, use the BBB Autoline (instructions should be with the lemon law pamphlet dealer gave you) and it should be quick and easy.

Every state is a little different but in general this will work, once I gave BBB my documentation, GM agreed to buy back and had check a few weeks later.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 PM
K1600GT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by USMMA96
I have lemon lawyed 2 cars for the 30 day out of service (1 was a GM product) did not need an attorney for either one, use the BBB Autoline (instructions should be with the lemon law pamphlet dealer gave you) and it should be quick and easy.

Every state is a little different but in general this will work, once I gave BBB my documentation, GM agreed to buy back and had check a few weeks later.
I lemoned my 2016 Z06 through the Iowa BBB but it took nine months because they kept trying to fix it (4 attempts). Parts were on back order and I didn't let it sit at dealer. You have a cut and dry case. Don't waste money on attorney just yet, go through BBB.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
PatatasFritas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K1600GT
I lemoned my 2016 Z06 through the Iowa BBB but it took nine months because they kept trying to fix it (4 attempts). Parts were on back order and I didn't let it sit at dealer. You have a cut and dry case. Don't waste money on attorney just yet, go through BBB.
Thank you so much for the input.

My thought was in PA, there is no cost for the attorney once it is all resolved, the company has to incur the cost, which one might argue is still a waste.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Bucco Bar
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

I had an experience here in PA with my 2015 model. I ended getting the exact same car in the 2016 model year. My avatar shows my 2015.
Norm
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatatasFritas
Thank you so much for the input.

My thought was in PA, there is no cost for the attorney once it is all resolved, the company has to incur the cost, which one might argue is still a waste.
I am in NJ, just used David Gorberg in Ardmore, Pa. 1-800-my-lemon, they got me a cash settlement for my M7
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I'm in Florida and my A8 died with 100 miles on the clock. Needless to say, I was pissed. Servicing dealer was nice, but parts were on back order. I actually called Mary Barra's office and they are setup for "executive" escalation. I got the phone number with some tricky googling.

A different set of people got involved as a result. I had the normal customer service folks involved too, and actually at the time they were really patrolling these forums and seemed more responsive back then (May 2015). Bottom line is that got me a $1500 "certificate" that I used for "accessories" for my trouble. But at the time, I was so upset, I just wanted my $ back. Now I am very happy with the car - no more issues (so far).

They found a brand new tranny somewhere outside their normal parts chain. Wherever they got it from there was a shipping snafu. They clearly authorized it to be air freighted but who ever shipped it made a mistake and shipped it by truck instead. So it took forever to get to the servicing dealer. Bottom line was that the dealer completed the replacement on the final day before I qualified for the 30 day lemon law.

There are attorney's around here that will help you with the process. But many here have done it themselves and other used an attorney. I guess it varies by state and most importantly the experience and quality of the attorney.

A few folks here actually worked with the dealer and got them to get GM swap them into a different new car.

Lots of possibilities. You got to fight the beast. Good luck - not fun...

Lot of threads on here about A8 issues. People chime in asking if they should buy a manual or an A8. Guess what I suggest? Some GM fan boys on here just poo-poo all the A8 problems. Funny, I never heard this many issues with the A6! Guess some folks have a different version of reliability!

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-21-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Lot of threads on here about A8 issues. People chime in asking if they should buy a manual or an A8. Guess what I suggest? Some GM fan boys on here just poo-poo all the A8 problems. Funny, I never heard this many issues with the A6! Guess some folks have a different version of reliability!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I lemon lawed my 2016 stingray and GM bought my car back, full amount plus tax and tag minus 320.00 for usage. Look in the warrenty booklet and go to the BBB web site and fill out info asked for and BBB will contact you and GM. GM will then contact you and go through the process. If you meet the BBB lemon law criteria the settlement will be pretty quick. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by PatatasFritas
All,

Looking for advice.

My '16 Z06 blew it's A8 transmission over a month ago while cruising on the highway. Was towed to dealer. They have been working on it since under warranty but have yet to fix it for a variety of reasons including delay in diagnosis, parts availability etc. In my state, Lemon law states that a vehicle that cannot be fixed within 30 days can be deemed a lemon. I am beyond that.

I plan on contacting an attorney to figure out what to do next given that I am making payments on this car and have no end in sight. I've contacted GM customer service with minimal assistance. I am obviously very disappointed here, and I think I am going to proceed with trying to get the full amount of the car back.

Has anyone experienced this?
Yes, it is easy just call the BBB so you could start the process, it is no cost .

Get notified of new replies

To Lemon law

Quick Reply: Lemon law