Sponsored by:

Question about the A8 paddles while in Drive mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Drenkel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the A8 paddles while in Drive mode

Question... when in Drive mode, and you use the paddle shifters to downshift... say to pass someone on the highway. Will the auto take back over if you get close to red line? I'm worried about stomping on it, only to have it pegging out.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I thought about that before. Even being a long time dedicated stick shifter, I mostly just let the computer shift. Damnned if it isnt faster and better at it than I am. With 8 gears, it is difficult to keep up.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

If you're in drive and use the paddles to downshift it will stay in a temperay manual setting for about 10 seconds before returning to the normal driving behavior. So if you paddle down while in drive and accelerate to the red line rpm you will need to upshift with the paddles or you'll bounce off the rev limiter.
If you want to down shift with that paddles but don't want to upshift with them or wait the 10 seconds for the car to return to the normal driving behavior I'd suggest putting the cars console shifter into M (manual) then throwing it back into drive to return normal driving characteristics right away. That will have it upshifting on its own again.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 04-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,177 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Drenkel
Question... when in Drive mode, and you use the paddle shifters to downshift... say to pass someone on the highway. Will the auto take back over if you get close to red line? I'm worried about stomping on it, only to have it pegging out.
Yes.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Yes.
No...
Only after about 10 seconds of non aggressive driving. If he paddle down shifts and goes FULL throttle the car will NOT upshift on its own and he will bounce off the rev limiter.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 04-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
If you're in drive and use the paddles to downshift it will stay in a temperay manual setting for about 10 seconds before returning to the normal driving behavior. So if you paddle down while in drive and accelerate to the red line rpm you will need to upshift with the paddles or you'll bounce off the rev limiter.
If you want to down shift with that paddles but don't want to upshift with them or wait the 10 seconds for the car to return to the normal driving behavior I'd suggest putting the cars console shifter into M (manual) then throwing it back into drive to return normal driving characteristics right away. That will have it upshifting on its own again.
You can also hold the upshift paddle in and it will default back to full auto without having to bother the shift lever.
The following 2 users liked this post by speed4tu:
Flame Red (04-07-2017), JonMN (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 02:56 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Drenkel

Actually, passing is one of the areas where it's really fun to just let the A8 take over in Drive. On my previous cars, flooring it to pass did not elicit quite the same response. Bit of a rush if you are not used to having this much HP. (At least it was for me).

But normally I am in M mode. I like controlling which gear I am in. If I know I am coming to a stop, I do let the car downshift itself.

By the way, if you do want to pass in M mode, holding the downshift lever drops you as many gears as possible without exceeding the rev limiter.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Drenkel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 04-07-2017, 03:20 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

If you pull either paddle in D, it switches to M but only on the indicator, not the shift level. Easy to mistake and pull into N.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the A8 paddles while in Drive mode

Quick Reply: Question about the A8 paddles while in Drive mode