Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejected delivery of my Z06 (Long Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Rejected delivery of my Z06 (Long Rant)

Well after believing I had found a great deal on a Z06, I had to decline delivery of the Z06.

I had a friend who lives overseas in Hawaii check out a Z06 that was for sale. I thought it was an awesome deal and didn't want to pass this opportunity up. The car had been on the site for a while and thought that Hawaii was just a bad market for a car like that. After face timing with my buddy and the dealer, I was happy with what I saw and ask my buddy to send me more pictures as well as let the dealer know I wanted to see the car fax.

The following day, I got in contact with the actual salesman and I began doing the paperwork and even went as far as sending the funding paperwork but still had not seen the car fax. On the paperwork it stated that the car was "As Is" which raised some suspicions the had me wanting to see the car fax even more. I asked the dealer straight up, was this car still under factory warranty being that it was low mileage I assumed it was but didn't want to take a chance and not ask...he stated yes! We went back and forth on different things about the car via emails and phone calls. I had emailed the dealer 3 times asking for the car fax but figured they may not have read my emails thoroughly and didn't see me ask for car fax. I then proceeded to send a lone email asking for the car fax. The dealer then sent me a link.

Once I received the car fax I looked for signs of any odometer roll backs or any other crazy things. I noticed it was owned by "Corporate" which kinda had me worried. Normally I would see "Owner 1" and "Owner 2". I then noticed that a few lines into the history it said the vehicle was bought at an auction and shipped overseas. Now I'm freaking out! Keep in mind the dealership has been very helpful and responsive up to this point. After being concerned about the car fax I proceeded to call GM's Warranty department to inquire about the status of the car's warranty.

I was told by the agent that there had been a block on the warranty. The block involved the powertrain, suspension, and brakes. I was totally thrown back by this and began to ask when, where, and who put a block on it. The GM agent stated that the block was implemented by the state (CA i believe). They told me I needed to contact a local Chevrolet service department and have the shop and the dealership get info on this car to see why this was done. I called the dealership and explained to them that a block was put on the warranty. The dealer stated that he had not heard of a block before and he would contact chevy to try and get it worked out. He also stated that if this block was true and it couldn't be lifted that they would provide a warranty through All State Insurance. I was still a little sketched out but said ok.

I then spoke to my local dealer service shop and the service manager looked up the vehicle. He stated that they vehicle appeared to be a track car of some sort or a car that GM gives to magazine publications in order to "test" the vehicles capabilities. He said that maybe the car was tuned out of specs for the test(s) and that is why the block was implemented. It was at this point I stated so the car could have possibly been "beat to ****" and is now being sold. He said yes. The service manager said I could have it brought into their shop, have a field rep come out (at my expense) and they could see what about the car is out of specs and it could be tuned back to the factory settings. I thanked him for the information and we left it at that.

I started doing a bit of research on extended warranties and read of different horror stories. I also did not feel comfortable the car having super low miles but not covered by the factory warranty. I then sent an email to the dealership and told them that I would not be purchasing the car. Although I had filled out the paperwork I had 3 days to reject the purchase. I was on the 2nd day. I explained why and asked them to call me once they opened the next day.

The dealership called me back the following morning and the salesman explained that he understood my position. He did state that the warranty that All State was going to provide was a bumper to bumper warranty. However at the point I was still convinced that this was not the car for me. I know I would have been worried that every time I heard something I would be wondering if this is when something catastrophic was going to happen. The car is back up on the dealers website and they bumped up the price by 10k.

I felt very relieved after I had not gone through the deal. As eager as I was to jump into a Z06, I would not have been able to deal with making a bonehead decision had something major happened and it not be covered by All State. So for now I'm once again Corvetteless. I'm deciding to wait until this time next year in order to see what the new ZR1 will look like and maybe save up money for that. So I guess I'll be lurking for another year. Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 04-09-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There are a lot of used z06's for sale right now, I'm sure there's one closer and cleaner to you. Good luck whichever way you go!
The following users liked this post:
D'ZR1 Messiah (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:46 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Glad you saved yourself from this one.

-Josh
Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

You made the right decision, Terminator.
NO WAY would I have bought the car.
No question the car had been beat on.

I wonder if this might have been one of the Spring Mtn. cars?
I know they have been selling some lately...
Old 04-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Good job - saved yourself a lot of grief. They don't call them Stealerships for nothing. Cheer up, it is a buyer's market right now and the right pristine one is out there waiting for you.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

You live in the continental US? How would that be economical to have the car shipped back? The state,CA or wherever, can't put a hold on the warranty. That's something only GM can do.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

The dealer should have been up front about the details first.
Originally Posted by Terminator X
Well after believing I had found a great deal on a Z06, I had to decline delivery of the Z06.

I had a friend who lives overseas in Hawaii check out a Z06 that was for sale. I thought it was an awesome deal and didn't want to pass this opportunity up. The car had been on the site for a while and thought that Hawaii was just a bad market for a car like that. After face timing with my buddy and the dealer, I was happy with what I saw and ask my buddy to send me more pictures as well as let the dealer know I wanted to see the car fax.

The following day, I got in contact with the actual salesman and I began doing the paperwork and even went as far as sending the funding paperwork but still had not seen the car fax. On the paperwork it stated that the car was "As Is" which raised some suspicions the had me wanting to see the car fax even more. I asked the dealer straight up, was this car still under factory warranty being that it was low mileage I assumed it was but didn't want to take a chance and not ask...he stated yes! We went back and forth on different things about the car via emails and phone calls. I had emailed the dealer 3 times asking for the car fax but figured they may not have read my emails thoroughly and didn't see me ask for car fax. I then proceeded to send a lone email asking for the car fax. The dealer then sent me a link.

Once I received the car fax I looked for signs of any odometer roll backs or any other crazy things. I noticed it was owned by "Corporate" which kinda had me worried. Normally I would see "Owner 1" and "Owner 2". I then noticed that a few lines into the history it said the vehicle was bought at an auction and shipped overseas. Now I'm freaking out! Keep in mind the dealership has been very helpful and responsive up to this point. After being concerned about the car fax I proceeded to call GM's Warranty department to inquire about the status of the car's warranty.

I was told by the agent that there had been a block on the warranty. The block involved the powertrain, suspension, and brakes. I was totally thrown back by this and began to ask when, where, and who put a block on it. The GM agent stated that the block was implemented by the state (CA i believe). They told me I needed to contact a local Chevrolet service department and have the shop and the dealership get info on this car to see why this was done. I called the dealership and explained to them that a block was put on the warranty. The dealer stated that he had not heard of a block before and he would contact chevy to try and get it worked out. He also stated that if this block was true and it couldn't be lifted that they would provide a warranty through All State Insurance. I was still a little sketched out but said ok.

I then spoke to my local dealer service shop and the service manager looked up the vehicle. He stated that they vehicle appeared to be a track car of some sort or a car that GM gives to magazine publications in order to "test" the vehicles capabilities. He said that maybe the car was tuned out of specs for the test(s) and that is why the block was implemented. It was at this point I stated so the car could have possibly been "beat to ****" and is now being sold. He said yes. The service manager said I could have it brought into their shop, have a field rep come out (at my expense) and they could see what about the car is out of specs and it could be tuned back to the factory settings. I thanked him for the information and we left it at that.

I started doing a bit of research on extended warranties and read of different horror stories. I also did not feel comfortable the car having super low miles but not covered by the factory warranty. I then sent an email to the dealership and told them that I would not be purchasing the car. Although I had filled out the paperwork I had 3 days to reject the purchase. I was on the 2nd day. I explained why and asked them to call me once they opened the next day.

The dealership called me back the following morning and the salesman explained that he understood my position. He did state that the warranty that All State was going to provide was a bumper to bumper warranty. However at the point I was still convinced that this was not the car for me. I know I would have been worried that every time I heard something I would be wondering if this is when something catastrophic was going to happen. The car is back up on the dealers website and they bumped up the price by 10k.

I felt very relieved after I had not gone through the deal. As eager as I was to jump into a Z06, I would not have been able to deal with making a bonehead decision had something major happened and it not be covered by All State. So for now I'm once again Corvetteless. I'm deciding to wait until this time next year in order to see what the new ZR1 will look like and maybe save up money for that. So I guess I'll be lurking for another year. Sorry for the long rant.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

If the car was sent out to a magazine for testing and stuff like that trust me those guys can't drive I doubt anything would've happened to the car as they put it through the paces the scary part for me was shipped overseas that I don't like that at all
Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
You live in the continental US? How would that be economical to have the car shipped back? The state,CA or wherever, can't put a hold on the warranty. That's something only GM can do.
69k car $2500 to ship back. 71,500k Z06 w/Z07 package.

GM as well as the service manager stated that the state put a block on it. Doesn't make sense to me either. Unless I'm guessing it didn't meet CA emissions standards. Can a state suggest a block for that? That I don't know. Either way....not my problem anymore.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:57 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator X
69k car $2500 to ship back. 71,500k Z06 w/Z07 package.

GM as well as the service manager stated that the state put a block on it. Doesn't make sense to me either. Unless I'm guessing it didn't meet CA emissions standards. Can a state suggest a block for that? That I don't know. Either way....not my problem anymore.
The warranty is a contract between the buyer and manufacturer. The state assists in resolving disputes when a citizen is being harmed. It does not actively look out for things that would void a warranty to protect a manufacturer. Glad it's not an issue for you.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:59 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

You made the right decision; far too many red flags with that potential deal. It is possible that the car was modified in some way that caused it to fail the California emissions inspection and then GM may have flagged it in their system after it went to a dealer for emissions system warranty work and modifications were discovered.

Too many questions on this one so you made the right choice and I am sure you will find the right Z06 soon.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I would say a old spring mountain car for sure, those cars were sold cheap at the auctions because of the block in warranty. Every one I have seen has been very rough all around. It is very possible the dealer did not know about the block if a buyer bought it for them and just shipped the car, then again maybe they did. Good thing you passed.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:29 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Sound decision and great investigative work!!!

Last edited by lakemg; 04-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, You did the right thing. You've got to be comfortable with your Corvette. It's no fun driving one, worried that something will go wrong and you have to rely on an aftermarket warranty. Then there will always be the "why did they void the warranty?" nagging at you.
Two recommendations the next time you decide to buy a C7. Go to a GM dealer and ask for the Service Record. If you're not buying from a GM dealer, you may have to pay to receive this. No matter the cost, it's worth it. This document will tell you all the repairs, maintenance performed under warranty and free oil changes provided for the car in question.
Second, I would pay for the Carfax and run it myself off the computer rather than wait for the dealer. If there are any questions, run both Carfax AND Autocheck. I've seen three instances where the two did not agree, including one instance where one service said the car was clean (no accidents) and the other correctly listed a recent accident.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fasthwks
I would say a old spring mountain car for sure, those cars were sold cheap at the auctions because of the block in warranty. Every one I have seen has been very rough all around. It is very possible the dealer did not know about the block if a buyer bought it for them and just shipped the car, then again maybe they did. Good thing you passed.
Actually spring mountain cars are bought without the warranty and sold through one dealer who will offer a 3rd party warranty
Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

OP - good for you for doing your homework.

You made the right call. Too many genuine, good Corvettes out there to bother taking a risk on this one.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Wow!

Your thread title made it sound like you refused delivery. I'm glad to hear it was just purchase you avoided.

Get notified of new replies

To Rejected delivery of my Z06 (Long Rant)

Old 04-09-2017, 10:29 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The asking price was good, but certainly not worth the risk and aggravation. Keep looking and you'll find your dream car.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Plenty of other good ones out there. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Terminator - you did a great job of investigating the vette's history. There are accordingly enough questions and doubt that your "terminating" the purchase is a wise move. Price may have been attractive, but lingering questions would have haunted an otherwise happy experience. Plenty of other used Z06's are available without a mysterious past. Kudos for your judgement!

Quick Reply: Rejected delivery of my Z06 (Long Rant)