Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did the C7 get no-lift shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Raceboy51
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

why on earth you guys are trying to flat shift, it makes no sense. You are killing the clutch and flywheel by burning it to sheds. The only reason we have flat shifting is for racing in a sequential gear box. In a H pattern you just destroy the gearbox all the internals and risk transmission damage.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Yeah - I guess we should only drive to car shows and never exceed 2000rpm!!

Some of us like to run the car up to what it's really capable of doing - and what it's BUILT to be able to do!!!

Nothing wrong with those who just want to casually cruise around all the time, but nothing the matter either with those who enjoy turning the beast loose and running the car up toward its very capable limits!

The following users liked this post:
dvilin (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Raceboy51
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess you missed what I said, just because you dont flat shift doesnt mean you dont drive the car at 100%. Flat shifting a H is much slower than doing it normally. Only sequentials are made for flat shifting.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yeah - I guess we should only drive to car shows and never exceed 2000rpm!!

Some of us like to run the car up to what it's really capable of doing - and what it's BUILT to be able to do!!!

Nothing wrong with those who just want to casually cruise around all the time, but nothing the matter either with those who enjoy turning the beast loose and running the car up toward its very capable limits!

Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

You'd LOVE it!!!

When you get out of the twisty turns in the infield and out onto the banking it's wide and smooth and just like cruising down the interstate - just a little faster!

Come on down some time. There are only a few HPDE type track events here every year - the next one won't be until Oct 6-8:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/events

In the video below I'm not no lift shifting, I'm just out cruising - my fastest lap was 2:00.18. Next Oct I'll have to push just a little bit more aggressively, and maybe do NLS to pick up 1/2 a second to get an under 2 minute lap!!

https://youtu.be/42o6JLVdhp8

That's pretty cool. I live a ways away and I have a vert unfortunately. Maybe I could con my dad into getting his Z51 down there sooner and tossing some 15w-50 in it for a road trip... I'm a lousy salesman, so doubtful .
Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy51
I guess you missed what I said, just because you dont flat shift doesnt mean you dont drive the car at 100%. Flat shifting a H is much slower than doing it normally. Only sequentials are made for flat shifting.
In a car with drive by wire, the 0.05 second lag is an eternity when getting out of the gas while speed shifting, so it's made to leave the throttle down. The ecm retards spark a boatload so the car doesn't bounce off the limiter. If you do it right, you can damn near shift as fast as the A8 does. It's fun.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
That's pretty cool. I live a ways away and I have a vert unfortunately. Maybe I could con my dad into getting his Z51 down there sooner and tossing some 15w-50 in it for a road trip... I'm a lousy salesman, so doubtful .
The Oct HPDE is put on by forum member Henry Gilbert's PDG (Performance Driving Group), and he has a nice stable of race-prepped C5, C6, and C7 cars available for rental. So if anybody wants to fly-n-drive the Oct event take a look at the info on his site:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/rental-cars

The price includes registration, and if you brought your own car you can figure the cost of brake pads/rotors/tires/gas/etc. So the price to rent of Henry's cars is really a good deal!!

Old 04-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Attention used car buyers!

These are the people you don't want to buy your next car from.

Michael
Old 04-14-2017, 09:59 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

wait...my 17 GS has no lift shifting?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Every C7 M7 has had no-lift shifting from the beginning.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-14-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:42 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

ANY car with a manual transmission can do this if you are willing to beat on it hard enough. Best practiced on your buddy's car.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (08-08-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

True.

I think distinction here is that GM says it's "OK" or a feature of the M7. I don't use it either. Even when driving hard, I'd rather beat the powertrain up as little as possible, and I gotta believe it causes more pressure plate wear, at minimum.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In reality it is a nice safety feature - will keep you from over revving the motor if you mess up shifting.

I dont plan on doing this often at all (hardly ever really), but the engineers put it in there for a reason, I'd like to see why!
Old 04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

4-5, pretty much the same as above except it takes me a little longer to do the shift - not nearly as fast as the shifts into the lower gears because you have to make sure you're not going into 3rd or 7th.

5-6, no problem, but acceleration really drops off.

4th gear tops out at about 152mph, and 5th at around 186. At Daytona you're right at redline at 185 across the S/F line. I haven't needed to go into 6th at the track yet - but maybe this Dec when we can run with the windows up. That little reduction in drag should give us a couple more mph.

I went out to Florida to celebrate birthdays with my sisters out there. They got me a ride in a sports car on the Daytona main track. So I got to ride along but didn't get to drive. It's amazing how the banked turns work. I swear I was setting there using the imaginary passengers brake because heading into a turn at that speed and you naturally think you need to slow down. But with the bank it's all just smooth sailing...
Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
ANY car with a manual transmission can do this if you are willing to beat on it hard enough. Best practiced on your buddy's car.
This is incorrect. Every car with a manual can do this while causing excessive wear. Only cars with this feature can do this with no damage.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:46 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by Foosh
True.

I think distinction here is that GM says it's "OK" or a feature of the M7. I don't use it either. Even when driving hard, I'd rather beat the powertrain up as little as possible, and I gotta believe it causes more pressure plate wear, at minimum.
Doing this does not beat up the drive train at all.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:49 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by Subw00er
In reality it is a nice safety feature - will keep you from over revving the motor if you mess up shifting.

I dont plan on doing this often at all (hardly ever really), but the engineers put it in there for a reason, I'd like to see why!
How would it save you from over rev on a missed shift? I assume you mean on an accidental downshift? I can't see how it would help.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Subw00er

so you can go faster.

Get notified of new replies

To When did the C7 get no-lift shift?

Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Originally Posted by falconhulk
This is incorrect. Every car with a manual can do this while causing excessive wear. Only cars with this feature can do this with no damage.
There will still be damage compared to a more "conventional" method of driving. The RPM alone on the engine will shorten the lifespan. Hey - go for it - stuff like this makes fantastic content for YouTube.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by mksz51
There will still be damage compared to a more "conventional" method of driving. The RPM alone on the engine will shorten the lifespan. Hey - go for it - stuff like this makes fantastic content for YouTube.
It's no different then shifting and taking your foot off the accelerator. Its just faster and more efficient as the computer does the work. The car handles the actual throttle even though you have your foot to the floor. Why can't you guys understand that this is an electronic feature? All posts like yours do is confuse people. This is not old school power shifting. Do you really think GM would allow a feature that might cause warranty repair?
Old 04-15-2017, 05:55 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Originally Posted by falconhulk
It's no different then shifting and taking your foot off the accelerator. Its just faster and more efficient as the computer does the work. The car handles the actual throttle even though you have your foot to the floor. Why can't you guys understand that this is an electronic feature? All posts like yours do is confuse people. This is not old school power shifting. Do you really think GM would allow a feature that might cause warranty repair?
It compels you to run the RPM basically right up to fuel cutoff - I doubt unless you are trying to "do this" that most people would run it that high. I don't have the interest to look up the graph - but is the torque as high at the edge of fuel cutoff or has it already peaked and started to decline? Same with horsepower. GM didn't make the car with "no lift shift" - they just designed the electronics so if you peg the throttle the engine won't grenade (and, admittedly, will stay out of fuel cutoff if properly engaged). To say this type of driving style doesn't damage the car is naive. It's like launch control - do that every time you start out and tell me it doesn't damage the car.

Quick Reply: When did the C7 get no-lift shift?