C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Paint Dobs

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
My new callaway stingray just came in with minor scratches/scrapes and 3 very small bubbles in the paint. It appears some small particles like a grain of sand got under the paint and caused this problem. One is under the carbon flash hood stripe. That will be left alone because of the difficulty of repair and it is not very noticeable. At body shop now trying to smooth these defects out. Also there were small metal filings on top of the body and in some seams that were easily removed. Salesman said many cars come in with these little particles under the paint. But so far no one has complained. We've talked about orange peel in the paint but these small particle defects are disturbing and should not happen in a vihicle like this. Has anyone seen this problem. ??
Yes.
I found a few dobs on mine. GS Silver.
Do not think there is enough upside to repair.
A bit of orange as well. Better than my last 6.
Also from Stasek. Spectacular looking ride by the way. Enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

What you are describing is what us painters refer to as "dirt" and as much as we would like to ship out a perfect car out the door every time, the people on the line will miss some defects. Staring at paint all day looking for little dots is hard. EVERY car has dirt, some small, some large, it's what happens when any particle lands on the body panel and gets painted over. Now, most of it gets found and cleaned up before the next layer (or repainted at the factory). It can be dry paint falling from robot covers, actual dirt, anything really. To be able to ship out perfect quality cars, the assembly line would have to be slower or more employees hired. Both would cost the company money (either in time or directly).

New technology is to implement automated scanning of vehicle bodies and clearly pointing out the defect to the employee. That would be a huge step in vehicle quality.

Be careful when asking the dealership to repair those spots. If they are small enough to not notice from 2 feet away I wouldn't worry about it. They can cause more damage than good trying to repair one. They require repainting of a small area which may make it worse.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 04-24-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for your information. You seem to have allot of knowledge in this catagory. When I pay $90.000 for a vehicle it better be without any paint flaws. This is allot of money to me and I'm a very particular person that is obsessive about my cars. I've made some of these mistakes with this purchase. Because I had to pre pay for callaway package the car was sent to callaway directly from the plant inspite of suggesting it be sent to dealer first for my inspection. I had a 2011 vette that I purchased from a different dealer with a deep scratch on the fender that was repaired perfectly so I didn't think this it would be a broblem. I also have a good relation with there body shop and it didn't appear to be a big job. I paid for car with the understanding it would be repaired perfectly to my satisfaction. Although I haven't accepted delivery of the car I'm not exactly sure what my rights are in this case. But if it's not done right I'm not excepting the car. I believe if something isn't right I'll do what ever it takes to correct the problem and not settle for second best with defective product. I've contacted Cheverolet just in case but I'm cofident everything with turn out all right. I'll keep the forum informed of the outcome. Thank for all the help and suggestion.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Paint problems seem to be common with corvettes since the day they started painting them in 1953. All of my corvettes have had some type of the aforementioned paint problems. Maybe a new paint shop will help.
I really don't to exspect to see any paint flaws in new vehicles today. This is my 5th corvette and 10 more car purchase in last 10 yrs. This is the first one with any paint flaws.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Your expectations are unrealistic. You would have to pay well in excess of $200K get to get what you demand. What you expect requires an extensive wet-sanding and polishing after the base coat is cured, followed by the same process after the clear coat application. It is cost-prohibitive on anything other than the uber-expensive, effectively hand-built, custom vehicles.

I've never seen a mass-produced car without some small paint defects. There is a degree of variability as articulated in the excellent explanation in post #22. It's the luck of the draw.

Quick Reply: New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!