Sponsored by:

Bluetooth for Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bluetooth for Google Maps

2014 - Android phone - Bluetooth works fine for phone calls but not for Google Maps. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Huh? What do you expect GM to do with bluetooth?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
2014 - Android phone - Bluetooth works fine for phone calls but not for Google Maps. What am I doing wrong?
You aren't doing anything wrong but unfortunately what you are hoping for isn't possible.

Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit video like a moving map screen. It can do audio which is why it works for things like phone calls and music.

Later model C7s come with Android Auto / Apple Carplay. (And certain models can be upgraded with these features. I don't think a 2014 can be but I'm sure people here will correct me if I am wrong.) These are apps you run on your phone and then you connect the phone to the car via a USB data cable. A data cable has the bandwidth to mirror the phone screen to the DIC. Only certain apps can be mirrored for safety reasons but maps is one of the allowed apps.

I don't know what options you have for a 2014 C7. Again, people here might have suggestions.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 AM
defaria
Safety Car

How do you know that he wants to use Bluetooth to transmit video? His question was extremely unclear and rather than speculate about what he may have meant I think we should ask him to clarify (which is why I asked). Let me restate it as my abbreviation of Google Maps to GM might be confusing - What do you expect Google Maps to do with bluetooth?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Not sure, but wanted to clarify. Was your intent on this post to ask if video/audio comes through or just audio. I think the previous posts thing you were expecting video, but the way I read it you may be just wanting the audio prompts to come through your stereo via BT (which does work on an iPhone I know, I don't have an android).
Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

For sure I was assuming. My guess was that he gets in his car and his phone calls come through the car speakers and he was expecting/hoping the same thing for maps--they would show up on his DIC without any wired connection. I may have guessed wrong of course.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 AM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
To get Google Maps to display on the head unit's display, the head unit must support Android Auto and you must have the Android Auto app on your phone. A 2014 C7 does not have Android Auto support thus you cannot display Google Maps on the head unit of a 2014 C7. I believe CarPlay/AA support was added in 2016 so you need a 2016 or newer C7 to do this.

You should be able to run Google Maps on the phone itself and stream the audio portion of the directions to the head unit. (I do this with Waze all the time on an iOS phone but have no experience with Android phones.)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM
defaria
Safety Car

The dangers of guessing at the answer of an ill defined question...

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth for Google Maps

Quick Reply: Bluetooth for Google Maps