Sponsored by:

iPhone mirroring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts
Default iPhone mirroring

I was part of the group buy with Nav Tool. I never did the addition of the phone mirroring thing. Just wonder for those that did it are you glad you did. I noticed that they offer a kit with all the cables for $120.00. I did see an add for $60.00 but that deal is over and you had to have made a purchase to get that. So back to the original question. Are you happy with the mirroring feature. Is it worth the cost. How hard was it to hook up.

Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Just took an adapter, HDMI cord and plug it in. You need to turn on the HDMI in Navtool for it to work. Takes longer to get the Navtool out than it does to program it.

Elmer
Old 04-27-2017, 03:03 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

Default iphone mirroring

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Just took an adapter, HDMI cord and plug it in. You need to turn on the HDMI in Navtool for it to work. Takes longer to get the Navtool out than it does to program it.

Elmer
Elmer
Remember I'm old. On the website they show various cables that need to be used. Based on your last it post sounds like a lightening adapter and an HDMI cord...
Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
Elmer
Remember I'm old. On the website they show various cables that need to be used. Based on your last it post sounds like a lightening adapter and an HDMI cord...
I'm old too! Lightning adapter and HDMI cord. If you have the 2014, you can use a short USB power cord in the center console to charge the iPhone.

Elmer
Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

I'm old too! Lightning adapter and HDMI cord. If you have the 2014, you can use a short USB power cord in the center console to charge the iPhone.

Elmer

Elmer
Still looking at doing the mirroring feature. It seems that you used 2 cables to make yours work. Our friends over at NavTool sell the cable set that includes
1 - 2ft Lightning Extension Cable - $25 from CableJive CLICK for details
1 - 6ft HDMI Cable - $19 from Apple CLICK for details
1 - 6ft Apple Lightning Charge Cable - $35 from Apple CLICK for details
1 - Lightning Digital AV Adapter - $49 from Apple CLICK for details
1 - RCA to 3.5mm Cable For Connection To Vehicles AUX Input - $9 CLICK for details
(AUX CABLE CONNECTS FROM VEHICLES AUX JACK TO NavTool AUDIO OUTPUT)

ONLY LIGHTNING CONNECTOR IS CONNECTED TO iOS DEVICE, AUDIO IS CONNECTED FROM NAVTOOL TO CAR AUX INPUT

DO I actually need all these cables to make this work. Second the Chat line guy at NavTool said that the RCA plugs into the console jacks. I never paid attention and didn't even know there were RCA jacks in the console.

Is this for audio??
Any answers I can get will help a lot.
Bob
Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

There aren't any RCA's in the console. I followed someone else's lead here and replaced the cigarette plug in the console with an HDMI/USB adapter. It was a direct replacement no cutting/modding involved.

For cables you'll need this:
Amazon Amazon

As well as an hdmi and USB cable to run from the digital adapter to the Navtool unit.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:56 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
There aren't any RCA's in the console. I followed someone else's lead here and replaced the cigarette plug in the console with an HDMI/USB adapter. It was a direct replacement no cutting/modding involved.

For cables you'll need this:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...tal+av+adapter

As well as an hdmi and USB cable to run from the digital adapter to the Navtool unit.
Your correct that there are not RCA jacks in the console but there's an AUX in jack. The RCA jacks NavTool is selling are RCA on one side and a single 3.5 pin jack on the other side that goes into the Aux in jack hole.
My question was with the set that NavTool sells how many are actually needed. I can see the HDMI plug, the lightening digital adapter and the RCA/3.5 plug.
I guess you could use the 2ft lightning charge cable but that 's it. I am not sure if the lightening digital adapter will charge too because if it does than you wouldn't need the charge cable...
Bob

Last edited by BRomanelli; 05-02-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Bob,

I'm not familiar with the cables Navtool sells but here's how I hooked mine up. I bought an HDMI/USB plug off eBay that is the same size as the aux/cigarette plug in the console. I switched that aux plug out for the eBay adapter. The digital adapter plugs into the iPhone and the outlet on the digital adapter goes to the eBay plug via an HDMI and USB CABLE. Now under the shifter console you'd run the HDMI and USB cable from the Navtool to the back of the eBay adapter. By using this setup you're not drilling and holes anywhere so it's a nice clean install. You could also pick up a lightning cable extension in case you wanted to mount the phone on a vent or somewhere else outside console.

Hope this is somewhat clear.

Ray

Last edited by Scoobydoobydoo; 05-01-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 AM
BRomanelli
Racer

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
Bob,

I'm not familiar with the cables Navtool sells but here's how I hooked mine up. I bought an HDMI/USB plug off eBay that is the same size as the aux/cigarette plug in the console. I switched that aux plug out for the eBay adapter. The digital adapter plugs into the iPhone and the outlet on the digital adapter goes to the eBay plug via an HDMI and USB CABLE. Now under the shifter console you'd run the HDMI and USB cable from the Navtool to the back of the eBay adapter. By using this setup you're not drilling and holes anywhere so it's a nice clean install. You could also pick up a lightning cable extension in case you wanted to mount the phone on a vent or somewhere else outside console.

Hope this is somewhat clear.

Ray

Ray
Would it be possible to get a picture of this adapter. I looked on ebay but maybe I just don't know what to look for.
Thanks!!
Also is there any reprogramming that needs to take place on the NavTool unit?

Last edited by BRomanelli; 05-02-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 AM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Bob,
let me look and see what I can find in reference to the adapter. I sold the car so unfortunately I can't take a pic of it.

As far as programming, you'll have to hook the Navtool up to your PC and turn on whatever cameras you want as well as the HDMI
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Ray
Would it be possible to get a picture of this adapter. I looked on ebay but maybe I just don't know what to look for.
Thanks!!
Yo Bob!

Post #6 has an Amazon link that goes directly to the HDMI adapter on Amazon. That device has 2 holes on one end, HDMI cable hole and a USB hole next to it. Run the HDMI and USB from the Navtool to the adapter in your console and then plug the lightning plug of the adapter into your phone.

The HDMI cable I used was this: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return: Electronics Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return: Electronics
The HDMI adapter to the iPhone I used was this: Amazon.com: Lightning Digital AV Adapter for iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus / iPad Retina Display, mini, mini 2, mini 3, Air, Air 2 / iPod touch 5th Generation, 6th Generation: Electronics Amazon.com: Lightning Digital AV Adapter for iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus / iPad Retina Display, mini, mini 2, mini 3, Air, Air 2 / iPod touch 5th Generation, 6th Generation: Electronics
This is how I ran my HDMI cord for my iPhone connection. From the Navtool, I removed the side trim on the console and tucked the wire up into the console area and back to the console. I then used a razor knife and slowly cut a hole in the console to accommodate the HDMI plug. If you take off the trim, notice on the VERY front "tab" it needs to go in the slot and then slide forward to catch the "tit" sticking out on the attachment piece. Then the rest of the trim piece slaps back into the slots quite easily.

The text and picture are from the big navtool thread.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 05-02-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: attached image
Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 AM
BRomanelli
Racer

Default NAvtool

Yo Bob!

Post #6 has an Amazon link that goes directly to the HDMI adapter on Amazon. That device has 2 holes on one end, HDMI cable hole and a USB hole next to it. Run the HDMI and USB from the Navtool to the adapter in your console and then plug the lightning plug of the adapter into your phone.

The text and picture are from the big navtool thread.

Elmer

I just came back from buying the cables . I also go a RCA to 3.5mm jack for audio. As of now my cameras work. When doing the mirroring do I need to get back into the programing or will that just work when the phone is plugged in. And lastly how do you access the mirroring function??
Thanks guys!!! Oh ...Yo Elmer!!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Ray
Thanks!!
Bob
Sent you a PM with an eBay link to the adapter I used that replaced the power port. I would have posted it here but not sure if it was allowed.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To iPhone mirroring

Quick Reply: iPhone mirroring