Sponsored by:

Lemon law

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:18 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Lemon law

Does anybody on this forum have any experience dealing with General Motors concerning there a C7 ZO6 and the Lemon Law? I would also like to find a professional race car driver to take my car out as a expert witness as to how this car is significantly underperforming. Thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 10:22 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Why don't you just pay for a dyno run and confront GM and your dealer with the results?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It varies state to state, you need to look it up. They all involve giving the manufacturer chances to remedy the problem though. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Why don't you just pay for a dyno run and confront GM and your dealer with the results?
This is a good recommendation. You're going to need something more than you're not satisfied with the performance. Also, hiring a race driver for their opinion will mean next to nothing. You need something measurable. This law is intended to protect those who have purchased cars that have significant flaws, like a defective transmission or blown engine. In addition, in most states the car must be with the dealer for repair for a stated number of days. I suggest you either read the lemon law for your state or contact an attorney that specializes in this area. Make sure the attorney is reputable.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

So what is under performing? ET too high. Lap time too high? Gas mileage too low? Most of the time performance issues are the problem of the guy you see in the mirror.

Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

The fact that there is no check engine light presently I should add as there was at the very beginning of this issue last year, there is definitely something measurable. When from a standing stop and I floor the car and it does absolutely nothing until it gets too at least 3000 RPM with all the traction control off there is obviously a significant lack of low-end power and also noticeable at high speeds with the occasional surging the car is fine for the first 20 minutes but after that I might as well be driving a family sedan with half the horsepower. I am not exaggerating when I say dropping it into first gear from a standing stop the car will not spin the tires. At one point I had a 0 to 60 run in race mode of about 7 Seconds. Various test drives with the Corvette guy at my dealership said it didn't feel abnormal to him although I don't think he's ever driven a ZO6 but I got him to admit at least at one point that it did feel sluggish off the line. I finally had a GM rep come down who actually has never driven a ZO6 but he just drove around with me to see how the car filled and since it felt really Tivoli normal and there were no check engine lights the issue was dropped. It was also quite and measurable at Road America I eat two years ago when in 95-degree heat the car ran 200 miles around that 4 Mile track without any issues and at the end of the straight away hit a hundred and forty-five miles per hour. The following year in 70 degree weather the car was 30 to 40 miles per hour slower at the same straight away in better driving conditions. I couldn't keep up with anybody there. During one of the repair visits the mechanic there finally said he found one of the knock sensors was pulling over 40 degrees. After driving it for a while when the weather warmed up I thought it felt okay but it just started acting the exact same way again. So unless anybody else's is ZO6 here feels like a dog off the line with 650 pounds of torque please let me know then I will admit that it's just me and not the car.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orsepower.html
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

I'm not a professional race car driver, but I run track days several times a year. Considering Jr., Andretti, Sir Stirling Moss and the Stig all have better things to do, I will gladly volunteer to track your Z06 and report back.
mark rolnick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Apparently I'm going to have to do this.thnks
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Have you checked to make sure there is fluid in your intercooler circuit?

Sounds like high IAT and the engine massively pulling timing to protect itself.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadbike56
This is a good recommendation. You're going to need something more than you're not satisfied with the performance. Also, hiring a race driver for their opinion will mean next to nothing. You need something measurable. This law is intended to protect those who have purchased cars that have significant flaws, like a defective transmission or blown engine. In addition, in most states the car must be with the dealer for repair for a stated number of days. I suggest you either read the lemon law for your state or contact an attorney that specializes in this area. Make sure the attorney is reputable.
apparently I'm going to have to get a lot of hard numbers as since they can't fix anything if there's no check engine light. Even though the car runs like crap thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I'm not a professional race car driver, but I run track days several times a year. Considering Jr., Andretti, Sir Stirling Moss and the Stig all have better things to do, I will gladly volunteer to track your Z06 and report back.
at this point I would take anybody second opinion to prove that it's not me
Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Have you checked to make sure there is fluid in your intercooler circuit?

Sounds like high IAT and the engine massively pulling timing to protect itself.
I personally haven't checked anything under the hood but the mechanic who handles all the Corvettes I'm assuming checked anything and everything on the three or four trips that I brought it back there. I've asked him about the fluid he said everything is fine I mentioned the air bubbles he said something like there's always air bubbles something is obviously going on with this car if they're getting to normal operating temperatures in 20 minutes or so that's causing the computer to significantly pulled tons of power. When pulling out into traffic I should not have to wait for the car to get to over 3000 RPM before there's a Surge in Power with traffic running up my ***.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

that's my post from last year.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

I'd also like to add how they handled this this last visit. Because after spending a hundred and $7,000 on GM's Flagship which I fell in love with for the first 6 months, after the test drive with the GM rep I dropped the car off back at the dealership which is Elco Chevrolet in Ballwin Missouri and he said well I'll have to get with a mechanic and take it apart and see what's going on. I texted the mechanic right after the drive to ask him what's the next step what's going on and what's going to happen? Never got a reply about 10 days later I texted him again to find out what's going on and never got a reply. I finally called the dealership tonight 2 weeks after the test drive and they couldn't find my car in the computer because they said it was released to me the day of the test drive and that there was nothing they could do because they couldn't reproduce anything. Apparently if I didn't call the car would have set there indefinitely. After giving the service manager a piece of my mind of which I'm running out of he gave me the number to GM which I think I'm going to call or at least write a certified letter to send somebody down here who was at least familiar or has driven a ZO6 before in one last
Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by mark rolnick
I personally haven't checked anything under the hood but the mechanic who handles all the Corvettes I'm assuming checked anything and everything on the three or four trips that I brought it back there. I've asked him about the fluid he said everything is fine I mentioned the air bubbles he said something like there's always air bubbles something is obviously going on with this car if they're getting to normal operating temperatures in 20 minutes or so that's causing the computer to significantly pulled tons of power. When pulling out into traffic I should not have to wait for the car to get to over 3000 RPM before there's a Surge in Power with traffic running up my ***.
Take it to another dealer and specifically request the intercooler system to be properly bled and purged. You do not want air in that system (or the obvious low fluid, either - but air in the system will jack it up).

Your symptoms are classic indication you are not receiving full intercooling. Car run strong when first started up or in when the system is cool. Then once up to op temp you're loosing power from timing being pulled. Your IAT (intake air temps) are going up, and the engine is pulling timing to protect itself.

I bet you need a full check/bleed/purge of the intercooler system.

Get notified of new replies

To Lemon law

Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 PM
mark rolnick
Instructor

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
Where are you located? Perhaps someone local to you could have a look at the car.
St Louis Missouri area. Man if this car acted like this with Motor Trend or Road & Track testing it iand writing a review they would be bending over backwards and moving their asses to make this car right. I am so freaking pissed off and frustrated with the sons of b****** now.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by mark rolnick
at this point I would take anybody second opinion to prove that it's not me
At least you've got a sense of humor. Would it be possible for you to send the car to a more reputable dealer, even out of state? To spend that kind of money only to get a constant runaround is ridiculous. And please, don't assume anything when it comes to your dealer service department. Most could care less about you or your car.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Find a reputable tuner in the area they may charge you a few bucks but they will scan the car while you show them what your talking about and tell you exactly what's happening

secondly pull up the hp meter in the cluster and get on it see what that is telling you

then report back

also do you pdr? Take some video of 3rd gear in m mode 30 to 70 or as high as you feel comfortable with and post them up we can see vs the clock how far off it is.

Have someone one use their phone to record the boost gauge and hp gauge as you go wide open and post those up

many options here

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-29-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Lemon law