Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
Power mods are

-kooks 2" long tubes and cat delete

-halltech cold air

-katech 103mm tb

-msd atomic intake manifold

i was told by the shop that their dyno reads a little lower than a dynojet. Unfortunatley i dont have a baseline dyno.

So the shop that told you that has a Mustang dyno. Still some nice # would like to see what a stock ported T.B. would do on the car. Still nice number man... Robert
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Rowteree
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

How does 550 crank hp n/a feel? Must feel sick

how much did the set up run you if you don't mind discussing numbers
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Stock LT1 is about 410 rwhp:

Chart is from Edmunds.com
What kind of dyno is this on? According to that i gained 60+ rwhp

Originally Posted by hearingvoices
H.V. checking in,

the guy at my local chevy dealer told me the GS is nothing more then a stingray with Z51 and a minor adjustment in the computer. do not be a sucker and buy this model it only exists for badge lovers.

H.V.
Never listen to anyone who works at a stealership

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Hey OP, nice numbers. Assuming 15% loss for a manual, translates to 545 hp/548 tq. - right in between stock and a Z06. And right where a stock GS really should be - hope Chev takes the hint. Very nicely done.
I agree the car feels like it was meant to be like this.

Originally Posted by robert miller
So the shop that told you that has a Mustang dyno. Still some nice # would like to see what a stock ported T.B. would do on the car. Still nice number man... Robert
Its a dynomite dyno, they said when they got it they configured it to read as close to what a dynojet reads as possible but they said it still reads a bit lower than a dynojet.

And yeah i'd be interested too to see what a ported tb would do on this setup, the 103mm is most likely overkill.

Originally Posted by Rowteree
How does 550 crank hp n/a feel? Must feel sick

how much did the set up run you if you don't mind discussing numbers
Yeah it feels fantastic, now i have to warm up my tires extra good before full throttle in 1st and 2nd is doable and the sound is out of this world, pretty awesome that stealth mode still makes the car quiet as a prius.

It was pretty expensive now that i think about it...

Kooks 2" long tubes and cat delete $1500 + $500 install

Halltech cai $620

Katech 103mm tb $600

Msd atomic intake manifold $1100

+ install for those 3 parts was $330

The tune $700

$5350 all in

Not bad if you compare it to the stage 2 katech package which is $8800 for 2017+ m7 cars. And that price doesnt include exhaust. So i spent $3350 if i dont count the exhaust and im 50 crank hp shy of the katech stage 2 numbers.

Might do heads and cam next year to get to that 510whp mark (600hp), pretty sure my numbers are that close to their package with out heads and cam cuz i got a cat delete.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 05-11-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by daveyboy
DANG! 688 whp/688 wtq with those mods--that is amazing!
Originally Posted by AORoads
Am I missing something---this is a Grand Sport with a modified LT1 right? Stock, the engine is 460 chp, crank. And you're saying rwhp is 420-440 rwhp.

With tune, headers, manifold, and TB it's making a "little lower than a dynojet" at 688 rwhp? ARe you saying those mods put in somewhere around a max of 268 rwhp?
H.V. checking in,

the guy at my local chevy dealer told me the GS is nothing more then a stingray with Z51 and a minor adjustment in the computer. do not be a sucker and buy this model it only exists for badge lovers.

H.V.
Hmm, talk about fake news! Or perhaps just misread or also believe "anything" a dealer says!

The 688 has a number sign before it, it's the run number-read the hp and torque achieved on the graph and small print at bottom. Guess that dealer doesn't think you can see the much wider tires, wider rear fenders, front spates and lower rear ducts! But then he didn't have one in stock, which is why he said that "minor computer adjustment BS" so he could sell a Z51!

Believing anything a dealer/service guy says is dangerous, like watching CNN! Great new young service scheduler yesterday at the Chevy Dealer who helped get my requested wheel alignment on warranty. Bit of a gear head, knew Vettes but when I told him it was close to it's 500 mile oil change he told me that was at 1000 miles! Mentioned "politely" he was talking to a gear head from when I was about 13/14 and I was 74 and now filled with useless car trivia! Explained why the change at 500 miles!

Details of Alignment:
Took a spread sheet where I showed the Grand Sport range of settings and what I wanted. Service scheduler put it on warranty since I had only 400 miles and I told him is was pulling sightly to the right (as will most cars on rural crowned roads!)

Stood outside the alignment machine bay and watched the tech. He put in the Grand Sport suspension and the allowable range popped up on the large screen. He eventually asked me to come in and watch as changes were occurring on the Hunter alignment machine!

Turns out the left front toe was way off at 0.22 in the Red! The hunter exaggerates the wheel picture position for effect in addition to showing Red. The line drawing of that wheel looked like it was making a full lock turn!

The camber ranged from -1.1 to -1.4 on the 4 wheels. My spreadsheet requested settings of -0.6 to -0.8 as I don't track the car (somewhat more on the right front as that is what is normally done and GM shows -0.3 more in their centerline valves although their range for all settings is VERY wide. Tech spent time but was able to get close to what I specified and close to zero toe front and back!

Car was perfect on a 16 mile stretch of I 95, stayed straight with no hands on the wheel (for the short distance I tried!) Can get one free alignment before 500 miles but need to put on some miles so the suspension settles! Can't do that at Bowling Green and all but that one toe and a steering wheel center setting were within the broad spec!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-11-2017 at 07:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

What kind of dyno is this on? According to that i gained 60+ rwhp
Dynojet.

It was pretty expensive now that i think about it...

Kooks 2" long tubes and cat delete $1500 + $500 install

Halltech cai $620

Katech 103mm tb $600

Msd atomic intake manifold $1100

+ install for those 3 parts was $330

The tune $700

$5350 all in
That's actually not bad for transforming the performance of your car.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 AM
RVC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice numbers brother!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Really ......tell that to the Porsche Carrera that was just bested in a MT Head to head session ....."Badges" that is an insulting thing to say for a car that is clearly the best of the parts bin between the C7 base and Z06 !!!

H.V. checking in,

H.V.
Woodbutcher58 (03-14-2022)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM
hearingvoices
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Your local chevy dealer, and therefore you, are sorely misinformed. I'll not spend the time here to elaborate, but google, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc. are your friends.

We purchased a '15 Z51, and now have a '17 GS. Although they both share the same engine/trans, they are very different in many ways. Really like both cars (and all vettes), but for different reasons. C7s rock!
H.V. checking in,

I am having some issues with my main terminal. I am not currently able to load up any search engine besides yahoo and when I inputted my search query for "differences between gs and sr" I couldn't see any results that had anything to do with corvettes. Is it possible for you to relay a hyperlink on here for me to view? I would love to learn all of the vast differences by the different corvettes offered in the C7 variety.

H.V.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, the one link that works is GM.com and go to Chevy, build a Corvette. There are differences but all C7's look similar.

The Z51 looks the same as the base car with a rear spoiler and larger wheels (although for 2018 all will have the larger 19 front/20 rear.). However lots of internal differences starting with a dry sump oil system but on the same hp engine as the base car. It has larger brakes, coolers for even the manual trans and rear end, stiffer springs, a rear sway bar (the base car does not have one in the rear,) different shocks, a special rear end that uses feedback and a computer to vary power to each wheel depending on need.

The Grand Sport has the Z51 features but wider wheels and tires (335 vs 285 on base and Z51.). Those wider tires require fatter rear fenders and spat fender extensions on the front wider tires (they are equal in width to the rears on the base/Z51.). Brakes are larger as are the brake cooling ducts.

A significant difference is the Z06 that has the same wheel/tire width as the Grand Sport so the wider rear fenders etc. Looks a lot like the Grand Sport however it includes a supercharger on the same cid engine as the others. About 150 more hp! There are some internal engine differences to handle the extra power.

That's it in a nutshell.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-11-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Grand sport is a z06 minus the supercharger. Its that simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liter of cola:
pkincy (07-21-2017), vbdenny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 PM
hearingvoices
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grand sport is a z06 minus the supercharger. Its that simple.
H.V. checking in,

I think you are misinformed regarding the newer corvettes. I will guide you to the C6 forum because I truly feel you made that post in error and were actually referring to the LS9 engine that separates the last generation number six's prestige from that of the ZO6. What if I told you that although there was a difference between the ZO6, C6, and ZR1 the newer corvette generation 7 actually has the same exact identical engine in every single trim level. I understand that sometimes things regarding trims can be confusing and we are all not experts on the computer so if you need any help regarding navigating this forum I will personally reach out to a moderator and let him know that your having issues getting on the proper forum. If you ever save up enough cash to upgrade your C6 I highly recommend looking at the new STINGRAY model corvette that shares the exact engine of the ZO6 the only difference is the newer ZO6 has a tune and edlebrock headers/exhaust/supercharger. The STINGRAY is the exact same car and you can even do the same thing you did with your C6 and order what they call "z51 appearance package." this will put you in a ZO6 outer appearance without the edlebrock accessories and you will have the same engine/specifications/look as the GS model minus the overcharging for a simple tune. You can actually go to GM.com and search for the 2017 corvette and you will see there is only a small 5HP bump and this comes from a hack inside of the computer that GM sponsors officially through there dealerships. A STINGRAY is the way to go for a generation seven car. The GS appeals only to the buyer who is not aware of things like we are on this forum. An old schmuck will shell out 70k+ for a "GS" when they don't even realize they can go to another dealer and get a STINGRAY with a Z51 package for much less money or even get a ZO6. That is right. When I was in the Florida Keys there was an old bastard screaming at a guy who was trying to compare his LOTUS EVORA to his Corvette and he was so happy and proud yelling he paid 74k for a GS. I was about to tell him that if he is still under factory warranty he should return the car, call a lawyer, and see if GM will honor a buyback because all anyone with a brain has to do is show a listing for a ZO6 at MSRP and if they got tricked by GM into buying a STINGRAY with a simple tune-- then you want your money back and will sue for any incurring damages you made purchasing the only corvette that currently makes no sense in the mind of an enthusiast buyer. If anyone here actually paid over 50k for a GS then please send me an instant message through the private terminal located on the upper right hand side of your screen and I will once again see if I can reach out and help the brothers of this corvette family.

As always V.

H.V.

Last edited by hearingvoices; 05-11-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I think you are misinformed regarding the newer corvettes. I will guide you to the C6 forum because I truly feel you made that post in error and were actually referring to the LS9 engine that separates the last generation number six's prestige from that of the ZO6. What if I told you that although there was a difference between the ZO6, C6, and ZR1 the newer corvette generation 7 actually has the same exact identical engine in every single trim level. I understand that sometimes things regarding trims can be confusing and we are all not experts on the computer so if you need any help regarding navigating this forum I will personally reach out to a moderator and let him know that your having issues getting on the proper forum. If you ever save up enough cash to upgrade your C6 I highly recommend looking at the new STINGRAY model corvette that shares the exact engine of the ZO6 the only difference is the newer ZO6 has a tune and edlebrock headers/exhaust/supercharger. The STINGRAY is the exact same car and you can even do the same thing you did with your C6 and order what they call "z51 appearance package." this will put you in a ZO6 outer appearance without the edlebrock accessories and you will have the same engine/specifications/look as the GS model minus the overcharging for a simple tune. You can actually go to GM.com and search for the 2017 corvette and you will see there is only a small 5HP bump and this comes from a hack inside of the computer that GM sponsors officially through there dealerships. A STINGRAY is the way to go for a generation seven car. The GS appeals only to the buyer who is not aware of things like we are on this forum. An old schmuck will shell out 70k+ for a "GS" when they don't even realize they can go to another dealer and get a STINGRAY with a Z51 package for much less money or even get a ZO6. That is right. When I was in the Florida Keys there was an old bastard screaming at a guy who was trying to compare his LOTUS EVORA to his Corvette and he was so happy and proud yelling he paid 74k for a GS. I was about to tell him that if he is still under factory warranty he should return the car, call a lawyer, and see if GM will honor a buyback because all anyone with a brain has to do is show a listing for a ZO6 at MSRP and if they got tricked by GM into buying a STINGRAY with a simple tune-- then you want your money back and will sue for any incurring damages you made purchasing the only corvette that currently makes no sense in the mind of an enthusiast buyer. If anyone here actually paid over 50k for a GS then please send me an instant message through the private terminal located on the upper right hand side of your screen and I will once again see if I can reach out and help the brothers of this corvette family.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:38 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Yeah, something is amiss.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

That has to be nominated for best post of the year
Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

H.V. checking in,

As always V.

H.V.

JMA checking in,

Can we have a mod in aisle 1? I repeat, a mod in aisle 1?

Truely,
JMA
Zap City (05-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport dyno numbers

Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
Yeah, something is amiss.
Hmm, must have got an extra strong or laced batch!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Speechless
Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

H. V.
As Goober would say.
"Say it again Andy?"