New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent - Page 7 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #121
jimmyb
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I was correct in stating that Saturn started out with one of it's "selling" points being a "no haggle" brand. That was one of their major "advertising" claims.

I was correct when I stated that Saturn dropped the "no haggle" crap and started selling at discounts off MSRP.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with my post.

Why did they drop the "no haggle" if it was working for them? What did the "no haggle" pricing and the later dropping it, have to do with Saturn's' range of product offerings.

I seem to remember Saturn having a S-Series compact sedan, coupe, sedan, and station wagon. A L-series mid-size sedan and station wagon. The Vue, a compact crossover. The Ion, a compact sedan and quad coupe. The Relay, a minivan. The Sky, a sports car. The EV1, an electric car. The Outlook, a full size crossover. The Aura, a mid-size sedan and the Astra, a compact 3 and 5 door hatchback.

Other than not having a pickup truck in their lineup, I would say they had about every segment covered.

When GM was on their knees in 2008, they decided to sell off the Saturn brand. That fell through, so they closed up shop. A sales and marketing failure.

People might say they want "no haggle" purchasing, but over the past 100 years, they never demanded it enough for the 700+, or so, automobile manufacturers to offer it, except for the Saturn brand, which dropped the idea to go with "haggle" pricing to try and stay afloat towards the end.
His point was that the "no haggle" pricing DID work and would have CONTINUED to work had GM actually treated Saturn as a brand, with timely NEW product, etc (the models you mentioned didn't appear until the 2000's, Saturn basically made do with the original lineup for 10 years). They didn't and the brand stagnated (shocker) and at that point, the "no haggle" was out the door and GM started treating Saturn like every other brand. You are correct that the "no haggle" model failed, but the point is that it didn't fail because IT (no haggle) is flawed, it failed because GM failed to keep the pipeline full of new and interesting product.

Last edited by jimmyb; Yesterday at 11:37 PM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #122
Always Red Dave
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic 427 View Post
They gave me GM employee discount at both stores + Corvette Loyalty rebate. So virtually the same price at both dealerships. However, one wanted to put $47k (large volume Corvette dealership) in my trade the other (local dealership) $52.5K. Huge difference!
Maybe the second dealer thought your ZF1 VERT was a Z51 VERT !
Always Red Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #123
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Red Dave View Post
Maybe the second dealer thought your ZF1 VERT was a Z51 VERT !
No, they knew it was the FE2 (Mag Ride Non Z51) they both called up the list price and options by the VIN. The difference was one dealer gave me a decent price for the car, the other wanted to steal it! BTW....they already sold my trade, I am sure for a fair profit! Still amazes me how there could be a $5500 difference in trade value!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; Today at 12:24 AM.
Supersonic 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #124
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member

Greed plain and simple
MikeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #125
Always Red Dave
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic 427 View Post
No, they knew it was the FE2 (Mag Ride Non Z51) they both called up the list price and options by the VIN. The difference was one dealer gave me a decent price for the car, the other wanted to steal it! BTW....they already sold my trade, I am sure for a fair profit! Still amazes me how there could be a $5500 difference in trade value!
$5500 dollars isCRAZY MONEY!!!
Always Red Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #126
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member

Funny how a smaller dealer had the best deal
MikeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #127
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
Funny how a smaller dealer had the best deal
Yeah, the large Corvette dealerships have a great "Clean deal" price but that all goes away when you throw your trade in. I have found this to be the case many times!
Supersonic 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent
  •