Sponsored by:

Rock chip on rocker panel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rock chip on rocker panel?

Just ordered a GS and picking up in 2 weeks. Is there a need to do additional paint protection on the rocker panels? I have seen some thread discussing rock chips especially for the wide body GS and Z06. The GS has the 3/4 skirt which is supposed to help. In addition, are there already some type of OEM paint protection on the rocker panel from the factory?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't have the same tire rubber compound that you have on my base Stingray, my tires don't really pick up stones. All Corvettes have a clear protective shield system just forward of the rear wheel well. That shield does provide protection, I see it splashed up almost every time out. Imagine the damage a few stones could make without it.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have a Z51 convertible with 4,500 miles and it is starting to get some stone chips in the dog leg area. The clear shield on both sides needs to be replaced do to nicks. No more dark color Corvettes for me? Next car is going to be a light color they don't show the nicks.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I had SunTek PPF installed on my C6 Z on the rocker panels. I also covered the entire hood, roof front quarters, mirrors and rear quarters. I hate rock chips, and only have one small one the entire car and that came before I bought the car from the original owner. Mud guards on the front wheel wells also help.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 AM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

You need splash guards that are wide enough so it covers the outer edge of the tire, also the longer the guard the better. Side skirts alone won't stop stones from hitting the rear quarters, also put black electrical tape on the edge of the brake cooling duct.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by changw1
Just ordered a GS and picking up in 2 weeks. Is there a need to do additional paint protection on the rocker panels? I have seen some thread discussing rock chips especially for the wide body GS and Z06. The GS has the 3/4 skirt which is supposed to help. In addition, are there already some type of OEM paint protection on the rocker panel from the factory?
At the suggestion of Forum posters bought ASC front Splash Guards. They are slightly wider and extend down further than GM Splash Guards (which I used in the rear.). In fact ASC sells the GM rear splash guards as a set with their front design. I removed the ones I had on my 2014 before I sold it (used Ultra Black to make them look new.)

Can see why they are a help and would definetly recommend them.

Not at home but the only GM plastic I recall on my Grand Sport is a small amount up on the rear wheel well, not like my 2014. I have read about issues with the rear brake duct edge getting "sand blasted." Some folks have suggested electrical tape but not fond of using tape. A quick check shows Corvette Mods has something for ~$30 dollars that comes in many colors including for extra cost, carbon flash. But it just mentions it is vinyl. If it's just fancy electrical tape, not interested. Perhaps someone makes a cover for that edge made of hard plastic like the thin real carbon fiber cover I bought for my 2014 chrome grill bar. Would look like an easy thing to produce.

I ordered my month old Grand Sport with the Stage 2 aero package partly because it had full length side skirts similar to what I installed on my 2014. Those allowed me to remove all the GM plastic protection and the rocker panels looked new when sold 3 1/2 years later. In the short time I have had the Grand Sport no problems or marks on the GM plastic or rear brake duct openings.

I pass an area on our street where a gravel road intersects and has lots of small pebbles on our paved road. Sounds like hail hitting the bottom of the carbon fiber side skirts when I drive slowly over that spot! However no damage above the side skirts. We'll see.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:31 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
At the suggestion of Forum posters bought ASC front Splash Guards. They are slightly wider and extend down further than GM Splash Guards (which I used in the rear.). In fact ASC sells the GM rear splash guards as a set with their front design. I removed the ones I had on my 2014 before I sold it (used Ultra Black to make them look new.)

Can see why they are a help and would definetly recommend them.

Not at home but the only GM plastic I recall on my Grand Sport is a small amount up on the rear wheel well, not like my 2014. I have read about issues with the rear brake duct edge getting "sand blasted." Some folks have suggested electrical tape but not fond of using tape. A quick check shows Corvette Mods has something for ~$30 dollars that comes in many colors including for extra cost, carbon flash. But it just mentions it is vinyl. If it's just fancy electrical tape, not interested. Perhaps someone makes a cover for that edge made of hard plastic like the thin real carbon fiber cover I bought for my 2014 chrome grill bar. Would look like an easy thing to produce.

I ordered my month old Grand Sport with the Stage 2 aero package partly because it had full length side skirts similar to what I installed on my 2014. Those allowed me to remove all the GM plastic protection and the rocker panels looked new when sold 3 1/2 years later. In the short time I have had the Grand Sport no problems or marks on the GM plastic or rear brake duct openings.

I pass an area on our street where a gravel road intersects and has lots of small pebbles on our paved road. Sounds like hail hitting the bottom of the carbon fiber side skirts when I drive slowly over that spot! However no damage above the side skirts. We'll see.
How much factory protection is on the rocker panel on the GS? I probably will get a splash guard but seeing conflicting opinions whether the wider ACS guard is even enough.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^

As mentioned out of town so can't double check but unlike my 2014 as I recall it's only back on the front of the rear wheel well. Makes me think GM found the side skirts helped in the rocker panel area. Stoped marking the plastic on my 2014 Z51 when I added LG Motorsports skirts to my Z51. I was able to remove the GM plastic as it was marked and discolored.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock chip on rocker panel?

Quick Reply: Rock chip on rocker panel?