Sponsored by:

Paint protection choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Johnpaulny
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint protection choice

I am trading in my Z51 for a GS and am going to have it wrapped. I had my Z51 wrapped in Xpel, which I've been happy with but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with, or knows about Clearguard Nano. I've seen some positive comments about it on other car forums.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Sir, there is a very, very recent post on this exact subject. Just look at in the C7 General Discussion. BTW, there are plenty of other PPFs that are every bit as good or better than XPel. I am a former XPel user.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Johnpaulny
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
Sir, there is a very, very recent post on this exact subject. Just look at in the C7 General Discussion. BTW, there are plenty of other PPFs that are every bit as good or better than XPel. I am a former XPel user.
Thank you. The installer does both but recommends the Nano for this particular car because it's black.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnpaulny
Thank you. The installer does both but recommends the Nano for this particular car because it's black.
FYI. There is nothing unique to Nano that is better for black paint. PPF is PPF clear). Bottom line, they all have similar performance characteristics. The key is, an experienced installer.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I used Xpel. I agree that the installer is the key.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Just had Sun-Tek applied on the front bumper of my white C7. Very happy with the results.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Default More general PPF question

I just sold one of my older Vettes.... a '74, which I had for 26 years. During that time bras etc were the vogue to deter "road rash" as we called it. My question basically is this..... when getting a (nearly) new C7 'vert, just how effective is PPF to minimize road rash and, assuming it is worth having it applied, where should I insist on having it applied on the car!?

I live in Prescott and "experts" are few in our little town, so will have to go to Phoenix. I will also check with some NCRS buddies but wanted to toss the question out to you Forum members..... thanks....
Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
I just sold one of my older Vettes.... a '74, which I had for 26 years. During that time bras etc were the vogue to deter "road rash" as we called it. My question basically is this..... when getting a (nearly) new C7 'vert, just how effective is PPF to minimize road rash and, assuming it is worth having it applied, where should I insist on having it applied on the car!?

I live in Prescott and "experts" are few in our little town, so will have to go to Phoenix. I will also check with some NCRS buddies but wanted to toss the question out to you Forum members..... thanks....
Check around for the most highly rated installer in Phoenix and they will have the Vette package I'm sure. The one they recommmend as adequate coverage. It will cover the nose, full hood, front quarters, A pillars, under portion of doors, around the lower vent area in front of your rear tires, mirrors, headlights and back section of rear quarters. $2k-2500 is a solid price. Xpel Ultimate is what I used.
The following users liked this post:
lennykoll (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Stp94
Check around for the most highly rated installer in Phoenix and they will have the Vette package I'm sure. The one they recommmend as adequate coverage. It will cover the nose, full hood, front quarters, A pillars, under portion of doors, around the lower vent area in front of your rear tires, mirrors, headlights and back section of rear quarters. $2k-2500 is a solid price. Xpel Ultimate is what I used.
Yeh... kinda my thoughts.... I am really interested in what, if any, cosmetic effect the wrap has on appearance and, most of all, how effective (subjective topic I am sure) the wrap is guarding against road rash..... thanks....
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll

It is VERY effective, I'd "guesstimate" 90+% effective. Of course, there may always be a larger projectile that hits at a high-enough velocity, and on a sharp edge, that might make it through.

You also need to keep in mind that the film is meant to be sacrificial to protect the paint. The vast majority of stuff kicked up from other vehicles doesn't mark or damage the film, but some larger ones can cause small nicks and tears. Even so, the paint underneath remains pristine. However, that's rare.

On coverage, at minimum, the nose, at least partial hood, side mirrors rockers, and areas behind wheels should be covered. I did the full hood, plus all the other areas listed.

My black C7 vert is a near daily commuter in a very high traffic area, with plenty of opportunities for other vehicles to launch rocks and debris. In the year after my XPEL Ultimate installation, I have zero rash on either film or paint.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint protection choice

Quick Reply: Paint protection choice