Sponsored by:

Starting a Garage Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Dr Man
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Starting a Garage Night

I've found that being a member of a Corvette Club is fun, but at the meetings we are always planning short cruises, identifying shows we want to attend, etc. we never have a chance to spend time around our cars, shoot the bull, etc.

So I've invited a few members to my Garage this Saturday evening so we can talk cars, tell lies, drinks, chips, and so on. I hope it catches on, and will rotate to other members garages.

What do you guys think?
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (05-25-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

It depends on where your club has it's meetings and what time. Is it still light out? Also my present club does a lot of car shows and this is where you get to talk and use your cars. Plus there's monthly birthday lunches and a bunch of events.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Great idea. I have invited some local forum members to my house for drinks and BS about our cars. Other local members have offered their garage with lifts to work on our cars.

Last edited by oldC5; 05-22-2017 at 08:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldC5:
Dr Man (05-22-2017), Skid Row Joe (05-25-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

When I belonged to the local NCRS chapter we had a monthly Saturday morning 'tech session' which consisted of a hands on 'how to' of a repair or installation of an item or information on judging. I hosted one when members were asked to bring documentation/history of their cars and did a 'show & tell'. I have a collection of all brochures from '53 and I shared those with the group as well. I liked this idea as it was more 'car related' than the meetings. It rotated to members' garages and they were interesting to see as well. You could also have a seminar on detailing; one of our local car care suppliers did a demonstration on polishing, claybar, etc. and brought some product to sell. These were 'hands on' as well and we had to limit attendance since they became popular. Any of these are more interesting to me than meetings...I know they're necessary, but if you can add another event it helps keep interest.
Dr Man (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Dr Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldC5
Great idea. I have invited some local forum members to my house for drinks and BS about our cars. Other local members have offered their garage with lifts to work on our cars.
I wish I had a lift.. that would be sweet. Growing up, one of my good friends raced a sprint car. A group of us helped in the preparation the night before, and it was a great time. My boys got to sit in the seat (and one is now a vette owner). Kind of where I'm coming from.

Originally Posted by trivette
When I belonged to the local NCRS chapter we had a monthly Saturday morning 'tech session' which consisted of a hands on 'how to' of a repair or installation of an item or information on judging. I hosted one when members were asked to bring documentation/history of their cars and did a 'show & tell'. I have a collection of all brochures from '53 and I shared those with the group as well. I liked this idea as it was more 'car related' than the meetings. It rotated to members' garages and they were interesting to see as well. You could also have a seminar on detailing; one of our local car care suppliers did a demonstration on polishing, claybar, etc. and brought some product to sell. These were 'hands on' as well and we had to limit attendance since they became popular. Any of these are more interesting to me than meetings...I know they're necessary, but if you can add another event it helps keep interest.
Yes, exactly. I love the cars, have had ten Vettes from 1972 until now. There's always something to learn. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-22-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Man what I would give to have a scene like that in my area...that is perfect !! No I don't have a lift but I can talk about this car all night long. Tampa area ...
Dr Man (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Dr Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
It depends on where your club has it's meetings and what time. Is it still light out? Also my present club does a lot of car shows and this is where you get to talk and use your cars. Plus there's monthly birthday lunches and a bunch of events.
At the risk of being politically incorrect, our meetings are at a restaurant meeting room, where we have our evening meal, meeting and leave. Mostly it's couples, and the fairer sex generally does not want to stand around while the guys discuss torque specs, etc. (please no hate mail).
There is a little talk during shows, but not as much as I'd like.

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Man what I would give to have a scene like that in my area...that is perfect !! No I don't have a lift but I can talk about this car all night long. Tampa area ...
Well Sir, invite a few over and start one in your area! Or come over Saturday to Indianola, Iowa. You're Welcome!!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-22-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:41 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

It is a great idea. There is a group local to me that does the same thing a few times a year. Plus they do a weekly informal meet and eat that is a similar idea.
Dr Man (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I like it! I'm the President of the Corvette Club of Kansas City. This might be a cool idea to implement for a Friday night event.
Dr Man (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Op, idea. Please keep us updated as to how things go! Agreed with your assessment as to how car club meetings typically go.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Of the 3 corvette clubs here on LI, NY only one currently meets any night. (it's a Friday) They meet at an AutoZone near the Nassau-Suffolk border.

There are cruse nights every night except Sunday, some of the Vette owners attend. Mostly rods and customs.

Two of the cruse locations have over 200 cars each night.

I enjoy driving my cars so I cruse to different ones as often as possible.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 05-22-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Rather boring at times around here. Rarely do I ever seen another Corvette. I wish we had somerhing like this. I remember the Island boys were always gearheads and had nice cars. Had friends from there in college.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

When I live back east we had a group of guys that would meet once a week to work on each others Corvettes. We even had a name and logo for our little band of merry men.

ROSCO - Royal Order of Smithtown Corvette Owners
Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think its a great idea and FWIW I've had the exact same experience.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

When I lived up north the Club's meeting were in a VFW and later moved to a German Club. These places supplied us food for dinner and they had a bar where you could get soft or adult drinks. We almost always had a "guest" speaker who talked about car subjects, racing, trips, repairs, etc. Most folks would arrive an hour early to BS in the parking lot with our Vettes. The ladies were most times bored but they clustered together softly talking about girly stuff. Now my Florida club's meetings are in a Church and is mostly all business. However some meet before the meeting at various local eateries and after the meeting some go out for pizza. It's a big difference but both clubs do a lot of functions and charity work. They are a great place to meet people and I can honestly say the Florida bunch have way less issues than the northern club. But I made great friends in both.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I think it is a great idea. Our club does have a cars and coffee meet each week but I like your idea. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:51 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Man
I've found that being a member of a Corvette Club is fun, but at the meetings we are always planning short cruises, identifying shows we want to attend, etc. we never have a chance to spend time around our cars, shoot the bull, etc.

So I've invited a few members to my Garage this Saturday evening so we can talk cars, tell lies, drinks, chips, and so on. I hope it catches on, and will rotate to other members garages.

What do you guys think?
I love that idea. I hope it catches on.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting a Garage Night

Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Been in the same club for over a decade. Mostly retired folks who never had a corvette until they bought a new C6, then C7 and so on. Big requirement community here at the beach and some very nice people...but to tell you the truth, BORING! Mostly couples, average age is mid to upper 60's and only a few "real corvette guys" in the club. I truly believe most of the members are in the club for friendships, and could kind of care less about the Vette! Anyone with money can buy a new Corvette, the club has grown so much that I don;t even know most of the members. I do work a lot, so I miss most of the events, but I guess it;s great for retired folks because they can do as they want, time wise. I liked the club much better when it was smaller and we had C1's, 2's and 3's, not all new cars!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I like the idea! The garage is the perfect meeting place. Smells like motor oil, antifreeze and gasoline! Have some chairs, beer fridge, peanuts & pretzels, and open to gear heads from all makes, not just Corvettes. Tell some good stories, (some truth, most exaggerated) and lots of fellowship. I'm in!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM
06nine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Man

What do you guys think?
That's one of the best ideas I've heard in some time! I hope your effort is appreciated-please keep us posted. I am in a deed-restricted community and have gotten some strange "looks" while changing my oil- in my own garage!!! But I would drive a good distance to visit a garage meeting...

Quick Reply: Starting a Garage Night