Sponsored by:

Questions - Just had Xpel installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Questions - Just had Xpel installed

I just had Xpel installed on my car and had some questions, what is acceptable in terms of dust particles or air bubbles in the film if any? I also have what looks like orange peel along the edges of the hood, maybe they stretched it too much? Also, in the pre-cut software is there any openings where the paint is exposed or should all paint be covered? (it's hard to explain, not sure if pictures would show since the film is clear).

Last edited by Red Devil; 05-28-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Not sure how long ago you had it done but bubbles usually disappear after a day or so of the install. Parking it in the sun speeds up the processing. As far as exposed paint it's possible he used the "pre-cut" sheets and it may not have covered all the panels. I would think no more than 1/4"-3/8" is permissible.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
I just had Xpel installed on my car and had some questions, what is acceptable in terms of dust particles or air bubbles in the film if any? I also have what looks like orange peel along the edges of the hood, maybe they stretched it too much? Also, in the pre-cut software is there any openings where the paint is exposed or should all paint be covered? (it's hard to explain, not sure if pictures would show since the film is clear).
here's pic of my precut xpel. From sound of it maybe they heated it too much where you see orange peel in it?

my film stops at edges does not wrap around. Some places would be impossible due to tight to no gap.. Without removal of panels
Forgive the little bit of pollen stuck in corner of the fender. But if you zoom you can see where the film stops on all panels. My installer did a very nice job from what i can tell.. very happy with quality of install as well as the product so far.

Its already save a headlight. Film hasn't performed this magical self healing but jist has a nick in it that didnt o all the way through.

on the precut film the 90 degree hood corner (closer to the bumper / fender intersection) is exposed I'm assuming to allow for the film to lay flat as opposed to having a bump or overlay of the film. At first I thought it was paint chipping lol.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Pictures added, I know this is the C7 side and my car is a C6 but I thought more folks would be getting it done to a new vehicle. TIA
Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Park it in the sun and check it again is a few days. Most, if not all, of the bubbles should be absorbed. If you still have issues after that, take it back to the installer and work it out. If done correctly, xPel is practically invisible. It's hard to see even if you know it's there.

Mike
Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

I just had mine done about two days ago and this is like the 10th car I have had done. OP, it seems like you had a shitty job done. The things you mentioned aren't acceptable, at least not to me.

I once had a shitty job done, and I fault myself because I looked for the bargain and found 1. This is one of those things where skimping shouldn't be done. Im not saying you were but in any event, if these issues don't self correct (I don't think they will), they should be addressed.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Do you know what prep they did prior? Does sound like a poor job based on initial description. But I would give it some sun and if not happy bring it back to them.

My installer scheduled a return visit after he completed it, they expect some level of touch up.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

No way should you have that much area with no Expel. Take it back and get them to redo it. If they won't contact Expel directly.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:44 AM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree with the others--and for what it's worth, OP has very noticeable edges. When I had my 2015 done, my installer used bulk material cut on the car and all the edges are wrapped around and under the relevant body part seams.

No way should you have exposed areas--you might have a few bubbles which the installer should be able to make better or may have to replace the film. I had issues on the back of one mirror. Had to replace it twice before it finally laid down and stayed down.

As for orange peel--my black paint is awful as far as orange peel goes--the expel covered areas aren't any worse than the paint itself. Maybe your installer stretched the film to aggressively. I don't know.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Based on the pictures, the edge of the film should be much closer to the body lines. You will have some exposed paint with a pre-cut but those areas should be minimal and not in an area you expect to see or would get potential stone chips. As for the orange peel, you may not have noticed the paint condition prior to the film and are now getting up close. The film should be optically clear and I wouldn't think even stretched it should simulate orange peel.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
here's pic of my precut xpel. From sound of it maybe they heated it too much where you see orange peel in it?

my film stops at edges does not wrap around. Some places would be impossible due to tight to no gap.. Without removal of panels
Forgive the little bit of pollen stuck in corner of the fender. But if you zoom you can see where the film stops on all panels. My installer did a very nice job from what i can tell.. very happy with quality of install as well as the product so far.

Its already save a headlight. Film hasn't performed this magical self healing but jist has a nick in it that didnt o all the way through.

on the precut film the 90 degree hood corner (closer to the bumper / fender intersection) is exposed I'm assuming to allow for the film to lay flat as opposed to having a bump or overlay of the film. At first I thought it was paint chipping lol.
I noticed the pollen but I am OCD anyways when it comes to Corvettes. Glad your Happy with the job they did. Mine is getting done Thursday.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions - Just had Xpel installed

Quick Reply: Questions - Just had Xpel installed