Sponsored by:

I am now an A8 victim

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
either show him a few threads on here, or take it to a different dealer.
If the dealer doesn't come up with it themselves, I am going to provide the service bulletin that ddelallata was kind enough to provide to me. That is exactly the symptoms I am having.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I do have to smile when I read about the "bulletproof A6". The reason is I had a 2006 A6 Monterey Red coupe that I ordered and it was delivered in January 2006. I was driving in a local 4th of July parade going about 1 mph when to my utter embarrassment the tranny crapped out at the end of the parade. I managed to limp several miles of stop & go to the dealer's but they were closed since it was a holiday. So my buddy followed me and we left the wives there while he drove me home to get my other car. Meanwhile several people had been there and opened the door and pushed the car in. Later the following week they called and told me they'd put in a new trans along with the computer. Seemed the whole assembly is held in place with a snap ring which broke. Anyway they fixed it and paid for everything. But I can't tell you how many people said what a POS trans the 6 speed was and I should have never bought it. Well I kept that car until March 2014 and just so you know I ran mostly at Englishtown's Corvette Challenge along at Atco and at Maple Grove all told over 200 1/4 runs. Never had any other problems with that trans. My point is, there's thousands of A8's out there with out any problems that are getting hammered every day. I'm sure that GM's motivated to fix them all ! So do they need an overhaul or re design ? I don't know but would guess yes. However, to read some of these posts and speculations that are over the top doesn't really solve anything. If there's any that have been fixed, then you have to surmise that GM's on the right track.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
I took the car to the dealer and took the service manager for a ride and showed him what the car was doing. As the car began to shutter and the tachometer bounced up and down a couple of hundred RPM's during the ride, he didn't think that was abnormal. He said that if there was an issue, the check engine light would come on. He thought there might be a slight engine miss but not anything to be too concerned about until the check engine light would come on. I tried to assure him that the car didn't begin to do that until very recently. They are going to do a couple of tests on it tomorrow and have a technician check it over. I don't have a good feeling about it.
I sometimes think that the car could burst into flames in the service bay but some "technicians" would state it is OK since the CEL didn't come on. That illuminated CEL and the stored DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Code) associated with it started out purely as part of the emissions requirements and have since greatly expanded to provide a lot of assistance to service personnel in identifying and solving issues but by no means is every drivability or operational issue going to result in a CEL and even when it does the DTC(s) set may not provide a direct path to the root problem.

Several years ago I had a CEL in my 2006 GMC Sierra that was illuminated prior to even starting the truck. It started and drove normally but once started the only way to shut off the diesel engine was to pull the ECM power relay. The only stored DTC was for loss of communications between the engine and transmission controllers and I traced the problem to rodent urine which created a leakage path between switched and permanently powered 12 volt buses when the humidity was high enough. In many cases an illuminated CEL is the ultimate example of an "idiot light" because it doesn't come on for every readily observable issue and when it does come on the stored DTC(s) can easily lead the repair person down the wrong path. DTC(s) are a tool and not a replacement for a competent individual who still needs to have a basic operational understanding of the vehicle and its component subsystems.

Last edited by NSC5; 06-05-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

If the dealer doesn't come up with it themselves, I am going to provide the service bulletin that ddelallata was kind enough to provide to me. That is exactly the symptoms I am having.
If they can't diagnosis it do you really want this place working on it?
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 PM
andy21
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think after reading this thread I'm going to buy me a Range AFM Disabler.

Guess I am lucky to not be experiencing the problems some of you are describing.

Maybe GM should just reprogram our cars so only Eco goes to V4. I wouldn't mind the recall at this point to correct this.
Maxie2U (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Originally Posted by boraxman
If they can't diagnosis it do you really want this place working on it?
I will find out tomorrow if they can or can't diagnose it. If they can't, they won't be working on it.
Maxie2U (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Originally Posted by andy21

Guess I am lucky to not be experiencing the problems some of you are describing.

Maybe GM should just reprogram our cars so only Eco goes to V4. I wouldn't mind the recall at this point to correct this.
I believe the car will not go into V4 mode if you put the gear shift in the M position. However, my car will still experience the issues in the V8 mode. Just not as quickly or severely.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelO
The best solution would be for GM to "bite the bullet" and disable AFM in all modes except ECO as done in the M7. Seems like it would be a win-win solution; reduced warranty work and happier customers.
It's almost too easy. All they would need to do is make a change in the TCM and/or ECM programming, so there must be a reason why they don't take this cheap approach. I suspect it relates to CAFE and EPA mileage ratings. Changes in EPA ratings have been done in the past after an audit revealed an error, but I believe all of those have been due to inaccuracies in manufacturers' ratings revealed after an EPA audit. In the present case they'd be changing the car's programming that will directly affect mileage. Maybe there would be penalties involved, higher than the costs of the TC repairs. Just speculating here.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Comment:
Any owners of M7s or A6 C7s that think the A8 problem won't affect their re-sale value are not facing reality. Some buyers are not educated in the C7 and are not interested in becoming educated. They simply know the C7 has "transmission problems" and stay away from buying one. The only hope is that a cure is developed for the A8 that will solve the problem. It does seem like finding a way to avoid the V4/V8 change is the answer. Maybe an electronic bypass that prevents this automatic switch? Just guessing.
However, I'm not guessing about how the issue will affect all C7s.
More like YOU WISH any hits the A8 takes on resale trickle over to the A6 and M7.

Someday in the distant future when I sell my A6, if by some odd chance I run across and uneducated buyer I'm going to educate them real fast.

"Hey Mr. Buyer have you heard of a internet site called the Corvette forum?"

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-05-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Not true, there are a bunch of actual transmission issues. What is true is that there seems to be more torque converter issues than transmission issues. Only GM knows the real numbers, but I'm guessing they are not pretty.
For one, the o-ring issues that cause delayed engagement (#16-NA-014). That isn't related to the TC and my car also had this problem. GM chose not to fix it while the tranny was already out for the TC job because I couldn't reproduce the problem at a dealer. It was sporadic, and because of this decision the problem persisted. After two years of this BS I punted. With three years left in the drivetrain warranty I was covered, but there was no way I would keep that car after five years without an extended warranty.

Last edited by iclick; 06-05-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

I took the car to the dealer and took the service manager for a ride and showed him what the car was doing. As the car began to shutter and the tachometer bounced up and down a couple of hundred RPM's during the ride, he didn't think that was abnormal. He said that if there was an issue, the check engine light would come on. He thought there might be a slight engine miss but not anything to be too concerned about until the check engine light would come on. I tried to assure him that the car didn't begin to do that until very recently. They are going to do a couple of tests on it tomorrow and have a technician check it over. I don't have a good feeling about it.
This is what I hate about the Corvette experience: Incompetent and/or careless dealers. There are four dealers within about 10 miles of my house, and if I need warranty work on my three-month-old GS I would be hard pressed to pick a dealer among them that I would trust to get the job done without damaging something or otherwise botching the job.

That particular dealer you cite is pathetically clueless and I would suggest going elsewhere. If that's not possible, insist that he read PIP5337E (or whatever the latest revision is, probably "H"), connect the car to a scan tool, and have a tech check it out.

Last edited by iclick; 06-05-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:18 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
My point is, there's thousands of A8's out there with out any problems that are getting hammered every day.
Of those thousands I would suggest that many of those cars have the problem and the owner doesn't recognize it, or the problem will surface later. In the former example I can easily envision some owners thinking the shudder is caused by road imperfections, and the tach oscillations aren't noticed.

If there's any that have been fixed, then you have to surmise that GM's on the right track.
The problem is that many have been "fixed" for a while and the problems re-surface. Some have had their TC changed twice, and there are at least three revisions on the TC. Some 2017 cars are having TC problems, and that suggests to me they haven't gotten a grip on a fix yet, two years after these issues first started showing up.

Last edited by iclick; 06-05-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Foosh (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Tag for follow-up.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

correction

Last edited by MichaelO; 06-05-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: comment went in the wrong place
Old 06-05-2017, 11:09 PM
andy21
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just ordered the Range Disabler. Didn't take too long to make that decision. I'll let everyone know what I think once its installed and I've been using it for a bit.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andy21

Old 06-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
You guys do realize that most likely GM will be putting the new 10 speed trans in the next year or two Corvettes. Hope they learned something but from what I hear the 10 spd (Joint venture between GM & Ford) is a big step forward. The biggest problem seems to be the cylinder deactivation. I'd just drop it if I were them. Just saying!
Nope, not going to happen. The A10 will not fit into the C7 design due to space constraints.

Get notified of new replies

To I am now an A8 victim

Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there, someone buying a C7 will surely do their research on the car, I don't know of anyone who buys a car like this without doing his/her proper do diligence and I'm pretty sure one of the problems they will look for (or take into account) is the A8 transmission, they will ask if the tc has been replaced or not.......at least that's what I would do but then again I'm not your average car buyer, but an average car buyer does not buy this car used.
I disagree, buyers even Corvette buyers don't do a lot "issues" research we read many post that people didn't do basic research when they bought the car.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Of those thousands I would suggest that many of those cars have the problem and the owner doesn't recognize it, or the problem will surface later. In the former example I can easily envision some owners thinking the shudder is caused by road imperfections, and the tach oscillations aren't noticed.

The problem is that many have been "fixed" for a while and the problems re-surface. Some have had their TC changed twice, and there are at least three revisions on the TC. Some 2017 cars are having TC problems, and that suggests to me they haven't gotten a grip on a fix yet, two years after these issues first started showing up.
I agree on all counts. I think there are a lot of A8s out there with owners who either don't recognize it as a problem, or are just living with it.

And as we all know, the percentage of garage queens in the Corvette population is staggeringly high.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-05-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Yes apparently some are still exhibiting the symptoms although the number of transmissions that do, drops year by year. 2015 has the most, 2016 has fewer and 2017 has fewer still.
Which is exactly the progression you would expect, isn't it? As the transmission ages, you get more examples of the problem.

2015's have the most examples of the problem because they are oldest and, on average, have more miles than a 2016.
2016's, on average, have more miles than 2017's, and show more of the issue than 2017's, etc.

Quick Reply: I am now an A8 victim