Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

When they change the filter which they are supposed to do(they will because I went almost ballistic when they said there weren't any anywhere, Should have one today so Monday is me. One question since we have to drive 2-300 miles when finished think it will help if I run thru the gears a lot and drive fast as hell
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Ain't there some lemon laws that apply here? I think they concern how many days the car is out of service for the same problem.
If you had all that replaced they had to have kept it long enough for that law
Sadly, the window for the Lemon Law has passed. If I had it to do over again (with the advantage of hind-sight) I would've ordered mine with the M7.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:49 AM
arvindnc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Replaced Differential

Hey Guys

The service dept. at Terry Labonte Chevrolet did a great job. They called me on Friday last week and said the new differential was here from GM and advised me to drop off my car on Tuesday to have it replaced. I left my car there Tuesday morning and they were kind enough to give me a loaner for couple days at no charge. Called me on Wednesday around lunchtime and said everything was fixed. I picked up my baby yesterday and it runs great. No rumble or warble anymore. The service tech guy told me they found metal particles in the differential fluid and it was a bearing that had failed. Hopefully this will be the solution.There were two more problems that was associated with the differential also taken care of. These were related to the stabilitrak and ABS. I will post a copy of the report later which may be helpful to other people going through the same issues.
Attached Images  

Last edited by arvindnc; 11-16-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: update
The following 3 users liked this post by arvindnc:
767guy (11-20-2017), Crew Chief (12-07-2017), joemessman (11-16-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

Default RPM Surge +/- 100-150

Standard definition
High definition

I haven’t been on the forum in about six months. What is the latest on why this is happening to our vehicles? Is this one of the symptoms of needing a new torque converter?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by f152tall
https://youtu.be/3I2IFsw37hc
Standard definition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WlBlC9wNo
High definition

I haven’t been on the forum in about six months. What is the latest on why this is happening to our vehicles? Is this one of the symptoms of needing a new torque converter?
Have you experienced a shutter yet? In our '15 A8 the car did this 100 to 200 RPM fluctuation for approx. 7K miles in cruise @ 47 miles, V4 mode before the shutter occurred. TC replacement was done after experiencing shutter, not before. Had PDR video to show what was happening. In our '17GS all is still going well, but we are now at the crucial 8K miles on odometer; time will tell whether there has been an improvement .
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 PM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Have you experienced a shutter yet? In our '15 A8 the car did this 100 to 200 RPM fluctuation for approx. 7K miles in cruise @ 47 miles, V4 mode before the shutter occurred. TC replacement was done after experiencing, not before. Had PDR video to show what was happening. In our '17GS all is still going well, but we are now at the crucial 8K miles on odometer; time will tell whether there has been an improvement .
Heidi
Save the Wave
Yes. Shudder is present. Car is at dealer. Brought car in this morning; the dealer told me it was normal and to go home. I came home and jumped on the forum and saw this thread. Brought the car back in the afternoon and left it. He called me at 5:30 and said the technician insists this is normal. I asked him how this could be since bulletin says no greater than 10 rpm surge. He didn't have a good answer and said he'd call me in the morning when the tech gets in. Don't know what else to tell him. Ideas?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes. Shudder is present. Car is at dealer. Brought car in this morning; the dealer told me it was normal and to go home. I came home and jumped on the forum and saw this thread. Brought the car back in the afternoon and left it. He called me at 5:30 and said the technician insists this is normal. I asked him how this could be since bulletin says no greater than 10 rpm surge. He didn't have a good answer and said he'd call me in the morning when the tech gets in. Don't know what else to tell him. Ideas?
The newest bulletin only calls for a fluid flush only if shuddering is present and not for the RPM fluctuations.
If you can feel like your car is going over rumble strips when in V4 Mode, then this calls for the new fluid.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes. Shudder is present. Don't know what else to tell him. Ideas?
Check your oil pressure gauge when shutter occurs; In our '15 A8 the oil pressure went "nuts" during shudder ; Rapid fluctuation between 30 and 60 PSI.
Good luck; You may have to find another dealer/service Dept. to get your issue resolved. Make sure they have a certified Vette tech. and that this tech has done TC replacement. It's a big job and lots of things could go wrong in the tear down and replace work. Check out the pix on this forum what the car looks like during replacement of TC. Scary!!!! But a good Vette tech. can do the job right.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 11-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

https://youtu.be/3I2IFsw37hc
Standard definition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WlBlC9wNo
High definition

My A8 2016 Stingray with 4.5 k miles exhibits the same exact behavior. Only occurs when in auto mode and 7th or 8th gear. Everything is buttery smooth. No shudder or anything. In fact, you wouldn’t know anything was going on if not observing the tach. Strangely, I also have a 2014 V8 Silverado with the A6 that does the same thing. Again, you’d not know if not looking at the tach. Can’t swx to manual paddles with it though.

Really starting to unnerve me after reading about the others who are having more serious tc/tranny problems. Hard to enjoy something when you lose confidence in it.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
My A8 2016 Stingray with 4.5 k miles exhibits the same exact behavior. Only occurs when in auto mode and 7th or 8th gear. Everything is buttery smooth. No shudder or anything. In fact, you wouldn’t know anything was going on if not observing the tach. Strangely, I also have a 2014 V8 Silverado with the A6 that does the same thing. Again, you’d not know if not looking at the tach. Can’t swx to manual paddles with it though.

Really starting to unnerve me after reading about the others who are having more serious tc/tranny problems. Hard to enjoy something when you lose confidence in it.
When GM used what they referred to as a "squashed" converter for the 8L90 (A8) which is part of what allows it to fit in the same space as a 6L series transmission I think they left some of the converter lockup clutch robustness behind. The 6L series converter clutch seems to hold up pretty well under the AFM/V4 foolishness although that probably just means it will avoid the shudder issue until higher miles.

I was planning on a GMC 1500 to replace my current 2500HD since it has a crew cab available with a 6.5 foot bed but rather than deal with AFM in another vehicle I will be buying another HD pickup with the diesel. The 1500 series pickup with the 6.2 looks like a nice setup but I am not buying another V8/AFM/8L90 product. My 2016 Z06 is doing fine with its Range module to avoid AFM but I really don't like having to use an aftermarket product just to avoid a designed in fault.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:19 PM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel

Get a Range AFM disabler. It's solid in the '16 and puts an end to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GaryPitts:
jimmie jam (12-11-2017), Squeaky Wheel (11-21-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 AM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 767guy
The fluctuation you see on the Tach as you probably know is engine fluctuation which is more evident in the rougher running V4 mode.
The plus/minus 10 RPM limitation that is in the service bulletin is a TCC
(Torque converter clutch slippage) limitation. This plus/minus 10RPM limitation is measured by the tech plugging his test equipment into the cars OBD port.

My 2015 base A8( built Aug 2014) had three transmission tear outs as the result of drive line issues and only on the last tear out in Feb of 2016 it did receive a new part # TC. That solved several of the drive line issues but there were other problems beyond the TC. My 2018 base A8 built June 2018 would have the most recent version of the transmission/TC and runs very well.
I think you will find on the forum many A8 owners reporting engine RPM fluctuations when steady state driving in V4 mode . Some have reported +/- 50 rpm , others a bit more and some a bit less. My understanding is the RPM fluctuations you are seeing on the tach ,unless there are other symptoms, are not necessarily an indication of a TC failure. From my own experience and that of others on the forum some of the symptoms of a TC failure are
* vibration/shudder felt in the car, like driving on rumble strips, when the car is in V4 mode, and it is very noticeable,
* harsh up shift from 1-2 first drive of the day
* harsh up shifts frequently felt in all gears
* harsh downshift felt on a rolling stop as the transmission downshifts from 3-1 slowing through about 3 or 4 MPH
If the only issue you have is the engine RPM fluctuation in V4 mode steady state driving you are probably O.K . Unless the dealer can diagnose a bad TC ( as per the service bulletins) you probably don't want the entire back end of your car torn out to replace the TC as when you get it back you are still going to see some amount of engine RPM fluctuation when steady state driving in V4 mode.
Good luck with the diagnosis and please post the results, good luck and hope your car is O.K

P.S In your post you indicated you had shudder. That would be sufficient for the dealer to apply the service bulletin procedures and test for a defective TC, IMHO.
Thanks for the through explaination. The dealer called back and said he is going to replace the TC. Guess he's skipping the triple flush step. My car is VIN 00017 of the first year the A8 came out so hoping a new TC fixes the issue.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks for the through explaination. The dealer called back and said he is going to replace the TC. Guess he's skipping the triple flush step. My car is VIN 00017 of the first year the A8 came out so hoping a new TC fixes the issue.
Well, the good news is you will find when you get your paper work that the part # of the TC going on is different than the TC that is coming off....at least that is something !
If you don't mind, when you do get your car back would you please post the part # of the "off" TC and the "ON" TC. Many of us who have had these issues are trying to keep track of what version TC is current.

Thanks and good luck.

P.S You are also going to get a new type of Transmission Fluid that became available about last Jan or Feb. It's really hard to get info on it but my understanding is that it is now a full synthetic made by Mobil 1 and has properties that better suits the cycling of the clutch pack, TCC ( Torque converter clutch apply) when operating in V4 mode

Last edited by 767guy; 11-22-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added P.S
Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 PM
crapthatsloud
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The fluctuation you see on the Tach as you probably know is engine fluctuation which is more evident in the rougher running V4 mode.
The plus/minus 10 RPM limitation that is in the service bulletin is a TCC
(Torque converter clutch slippage) limitation. This plus/minus 10RPM limitation is measured by the tech plugging his test equipment into the cars OBD port.

My 2015 base A8( built Aug 2014) had three transmission tear outs as the result of drive line issues and only on the last tear out in Feb of 2016 it did receive a new part # TC. That solved several of the drive line issues but there were other problems beyond the TC. My 2018 base A8 built June 2018 would have the most recent version of the transmission/TC and runs very well.
I think you will find on the forum many A8 owners reporting engine RPM fluctuations when steady state driving in V4 mode . Some have reported +/- 50 rpm , others a bit more and some a bit less. My understanding is the RPM fluctuations you are seeing on the tach ,unless there are other symptoms, are not necessarily an indication of a TC failure. From my own experience and that of others on the forum some of the symptoms of a TC failure are
* vibration/shudder felt in the car, like driving on rumble strips, when the car is in V4 mode, and it is very noticeable,
* harsh up shift from 1-2 first drive of the day
* harsh up shifts frequently felt in all gears
* harsh downshift felt on a rolling stop as the transmission downshifts from 3-1 slowing through about 3 or 4 MPH
If the only issue you have is the engine RPM fluctuation in V4 mode steady state driving you are probably O.K . Unless the dealer can diagnose a bad TC ( as per the service bulletins) you probably don't want the entire back end of your car torn out to replace the TC as when you get it back you are still going to see some amount of engine RPM fluctuation when steady state driving in V4 mode.
Good luck with the diagnosis and please post the results, good luck and hope your car is O.K

P.S In your post you indicated you had shudder. That would be sufficient for the dealer to apply the service bulletin procedures and test for a defective TC, IMHO.
My car ('18, just crossed 1000mi) has an occasional warble from the rear under low rpm/light acceleration (might be the exhaust) and this morning the 1-2 shift was fairly slammy. Fingers crossed its normal behavior! This thread has me spooked.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts
Default new torque converter

just had my torque converter changed and p/n is 24280631
Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by akers4000
just had my torque converter changed and p/n is 24280631
That is the third iteration of the part. They have been using that for quite sometime now. I haven't seen any failures reported with that part number.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Just my opinion based on past experience with automatic transmission.
Locking torqu convertors that are starting to fail will shudder and hunt. With this v4 to v8 feature going back and fourth it sounds like the perfect storm for causing the TC to constantly be locking, unlocking, locking unlocking and so on. This is wearing them (the C7 autos) out IMO.
If I had a auto, I'd search for a bullet proof NON-locking spragged TC from some reputable vendor out there. I went through 4 TC's with a high horsepower turbo car. When I went to NON-locking convertor it was a beautiful thing. I didn't miss that few hundred RPM that the locking gave in gas mileage. With 8 gears, what is locking the convertor saving in gas mileage anyway? Go 2800 RPM stall speed too, still driver friendly and not slushy like old technology.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The simple solution to the AFM modulated lockup clutch problem is either a Range module or select manual mode; either will prevent the ECM from commanding V4 mode with the resultant lockup clutch modulation.

The lockup clutch function in the 8L90 works fine when it is operating as a normal automatic transmission not being abused by GM's poorly implemented AFM system.

I haven't been following the new ZR1 closely but did it manage to escape this silly system? I am pretty sure I recall one of our European members saying automatic equipped C7 models designed for the EU market only go into V4 mode in the eco setting just like M7 models which would be nice.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 AM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Well, the good news is you will find when you get your paper work that the part # of the TC going on is different than the TC that is coming off....at least that is something !
If you don't mind, when you do get your car back would you please post the part # of the "off" TC and the "ON" TC. Many of us who have had these issues are trying to keep track of what version TC is current.

Thanks and good luck.

P.S You are also going to get a new type of Transmission Fluid that became available about last Jan or Feb. It's really hard to get info on it but my understanding is that it is now a full synthetic made by Mobil 1 and has properties that better suits the cycling of the clutch pack, TCC ( Torque converter clutch apply) when operating in V4 mode
New TC installed. Part number 24280631. My first drive was about 3 hours. First look good. Seemed to be much better. Time will tell.

On the bright side, I got a free multi point vehicle inspection. (Read: Free dealer provided burnouts in the back parking lot at no cost to the customer.)
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
767guy (12-12-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM
tbenz
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had issues with my 2015 corvette stingray since i got it at 19200 miles. Started out with the reverse gear having a delay when i put it in gear. had dealer change out parts and it stopped for a few weeks then started with the drive gear. Has a delay and gives a hard jerk at times going into drive. have called and emailed GM several times but they say this is normal of the car. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and has anything been done to correct the issue. This is becoming a problem.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking