Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

Follow-up to my post #673:

Got mine back last Monday. The tech said my valve body had a legitimate failure, so they replaced it. Well, that ain't it!! ---harsh shift still exists. Makes me wonder if they tried to do a cold test before calling it good?
I just noticed the only time my car gets a break as my "daily driver of choice," is when I'm in for service.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Dave-T
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-T
They just called me and said they are going to do a triple flush of the fluid and replace the filter. Obviously they did not experience the delayed engagement because the car was warm. They think the fluid change will help this also.
Got the car back. They did a triple flush and added the new fluid per the service bulletin. So far no shuddering. Not sure about the delayed engagement, need to wait for a cold start.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by stevettec7
Follow-up to my post #673:

Got mine back last Monday. The tech said my valve body had a legitimate failure, so they replaced it. Well, that ain't it!! ---harsh shift still exists. Makes me wonder if they tried to do a cold test before calling it good?
I just noticed the only time my car gets a break as my "daily driver of choice," is when I'm in for service.
It is possible the reason your car still has harsh shift issues, which is normally a TC fault, is because you do not have the latest TC version part # 24280631.
You posted that the Transmission ( which includes the TC) was removed at 24,500 miles. If this repair was done prior to about mid December 2016 then probably you have the older style TC part # 24279495 in that transmission.Starting in about mid December 2016 or early 2017 TC part # 24280631 and the new fluid became available.
My early build 2015 base A8 had three transmission tear outs for harsh 1-2 shift first drive of the day, flares , and frequent harsh upshifts and harsh downshift 3-1 coming to a stop.
The original TC that came out of the car was 24279495 and that same part # was used in the first and second tear out and my symptoms did not go away. Finally in Feb 2017 Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City FL did TC replacement number three and installed the newest version TC part # 24280631 as well as the new fluid. Only then did the previously mentioned faults go away.
It's a long shot but it seems to me if your last transmission/TC is prior to about mid Dec 2016 or Jan 2017 there is a good chance you do not have the latest TC version which may be the root cause of your problems.......good luck with the fix and please post results for us, tks.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM
hotdog2020
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

2016 Corvette Z51 A8. I just got back from the Gulf Shores, AL. While driving the Corvette down there I noticed the car shuddering pretty bad. We were driving from St. Louis and coming through Mobile, AL we hit some Friday afternoon traffic. Man was it irritating. Seemed like light throttle around 20 to 65 mph, the car would shudder. I thought at 1st it was a tire out of balance but I figured if that were the case the car would vibrate all the time. On the way back, I set up the DIC to see if the shudder happened during the transition of V4 to V8 but it didn't seem to happen at that point. I really notice it during light throttle after slight coasting or when the car isn't loaded and then slight throttle. I'm going to have the dealer look into it. I daily drive my car and just noticed this. I have 19,544 miles on her.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by hotdog2020
2016 Corvette Z51 A8. I just got back from the Gulf Shores, AL. While driving the Corvette down there I noticed the car shuddering pretty bad. We were driving from St. Louis and coming through Mobile, AL we hit some Friday afternoon traffic. Man was it irritating. Seemed like light throttle around 20 to 65 mph, the car would shudder. I thought at 1st it was a tire out of balance but I figured if that were the case the car would vibrate all the time. On the way back, I set up the DIC to see if the shudder happened during the transition of V4 to V8 but it didn't seem to happen at that point. I really notice it during light throttle after slight coasting or when the car isn't loaded and then slight throttle. I'm going to have the dealer look into it. I daily drive my car and just noticed this. I have 19,544 miles on her.
The primary and problematic shudder isn't at the tip in point between 8 and 4 cylinder operation but with sustained operation in 4 cylinder mode. Next time you notice this put the transmission into manual mode (prevents V4 mode activation) to see if that cures the issue.

Hope you enjoyed Gulf Shores! I grew up not far away in Gulfport MS and have a lot of good memories of the beaches along that section of Alabama and Florida
Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
hotdog2020
Advanced

Originally Posted by GaryPitts
Should there be a choice for shudder and if the transmission fluid triple flush fixed it or not? That's the problem I have and it goes in next Friday to see what they say about it. I don't guess it's a failure, but man is it annoying!
Gary, Did you find out from the dealer what the issue was with your A8. I have the same issue. I apologize if you responded already but I tried to search and didn't see an update. Just curious as I'm going to have to call the dealer tomorrow. Thanks, Keith
Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 PM
hotdog2020
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSC5
The primary and problematic shudder isn't at the tip in point between 8 and 4 cylinder operation but with sustained operation in 4 cylinder mode. Next time you notice this put the transmission into manual mode (prevents V4 mode activation) to see if that cures the issue.

Hope you enjoyed Gulf Shores! I grew up not far away in Gulfport MS and have a lot of good memories of the beaches along that section of Alabama and Florida
Thanks for the information. I'll try that tomorrow. Yes, it was a great time! We Love the beach. Making memories with the grand kids and jellyfish. LOL They didn't get stung but actually got to touch one some teenagers caught in a net before they released them out farther. The GK's think they're a big deal now. Haha !
Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hotdog2020
Thanks for the information. I'll try that tomorrow. Yes, it was a great time! We Love the beach. Making memories with the grand kids and jellyfish. LOL They didn't get stung but actually got to touch one some teenagers caught in a net before they released them out farther. The GK's think they're a big deal now. Haha !
I was lucky never to have a bad encounter with a jellyfish. The Portuguese Man of War variant (not a true Jellyfish) look beautiful in the water but they are the ones to truly avoid.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by 767guy
It is possible the reason your car still has harsh shift issues, which is normally a TC fault, is because you do not have the latest TC version part # 24280631.
You posted that the Transmission ( which includes the TC) was removed at 24,500 miles. If this repair was done prior to about mid December 2016 then probably you have the older style TC part # 24279495 in that transmission.Starting in about mid December 2016 or early 2017 TC part # 24280631 and the new fluid became available.
My early build 2015 base A8 had three transmission tear outs for harsh 1-2 shift first drive of the day, flares , and frequent harsh upshifts and harsh downshift 3-1 coming to a stop.
The original TC that came out of the car was 24279495 and that same part # was used in the first and second tear out and my symptoms did not go away. Finally in Feb 2017 Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City FL did TC replacement number three and installed the newest version TC part # 24280631 as well as the new fluid. Only then did the previously mentioned faults go away.
It's a long shot but it seems to me if your last transmission/TC is prior to about mid Dec 2016 or Jan 2017 there is a good chance you do not have the latest TC version which may be the root cause of your problems.......good luck with the fix and please post results for us, tks.
That’s some great information. Thank you. I pulled all my work orders and saw the torque converter was indeed the older part no. I will be dropping my car off in the morning. I plan to share this and a little “refresher” of all past maintenance actions.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 AM
767guy
Pro

That’s some great information. Thank you. I pulled all my work orders and saw the torque converter was indeed the older part no. I will be dropping my car off in the morning. I plan to share this and a little “refresher” of all past maintenance actions.
What was the date that the transmission was replaced at the 24,5000 mile point ??
Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

What was the date that the transmission was replaced at the 24,5000 mile point ??
July 2017. The ticket shows “Replaced Transmission Assembly.” I wonder if that assembly includes a new torque converter? Waiting (impatiently) to hear back from my dealer.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM
767guy
Pro

July 2017. The ticket shows “Replaced Transmission Assembly.” I wonder if that assembly includes a new torque converter? Waiting (impatiently) to hear back from my dealer.
My experience was that when I received a new transmission ( second tear out) the service manager advised it included the TC.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

My experience was that when I received a new transmission ( second tear out) the service manager advised it included the TC.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm sure that's what my adviser and tech said during that maintenance action last year. Today the tech duplicated the issue and gathered data...Now I'm waiting to see what the GM reps recommend. THIS IS PURE INSANITY!!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

13,000 miles since triple flush and all is good.

TC shudder at 61,000 miles. Triple flushed 11/2017.
Current mileage 74,000+
Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Going on day 3 without an answer back from GM tech support. Very frustrating! What’s even more maddening is I’ll bet most of these so-called “fixes” aren’t fixes at all. They’re just work-arounds. I’ve had 2 new transmissions, 2 torque converters, 2 new valve-bodies installed. The new TC took care of the AFM/V4 mode shudders long ago, but nothing has helped the harsh engagement shifting from Park to Drive after car sits with engine off for extended period. The sad reality is whatever action GM takes, they all have failed eventually. Basically that means a car with the A8 that sits undriven with low mileage, will most likely experience some sort of problem. GM doesn’t know what the long-term fix is obviously.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2019 C7 has a flare between 1st and 2nd (in drive) whenever first driven in the day. After the single flare, It is fine all day afterwords. It just happens after the first startup in the morning. The flare only lasts about 1 second but is annoying. To avoid it, I start in manual 2nd gear. After rolling I put it in drive and it's fine after that all day. It has done it since the first hundred miles. I was hoping it would go away but now at 2000 miles it is still there. I haven't been to the dealer yet as I expect to take it soon for an oil change. Any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtreber
My 2019 C7 has a flare between 1st and 2nd (in drive) whenever first driven in the day. After the single flare, It is fine all day afterwords. It just happens after the first startup in the morning. The flare only lasts about 1 second but is annoying. To avoid it, I start in manual 2nd gear. After rolling I put it in drive and it's fine after that all day. It has done it since the first hundred miles. I was hoping it would go away but now at 2000 miles it is still there. I haven't been to the dealer yet as I expect to take it soon for an oil change. Any thoughts?
Not normal. Be sure to mention it when you take it in.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

As I looked through the forum, I find it is a known issue. I tried the posted M 1-2-1 and it works. At least until i take it in to the dealer in the near future.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

As I looked through the forum, I find it is a known issue. I tried the posted M 1-2-1 and it works. At least until i take it in to the dealer in the near future.
I thought GM would have fixed this by now; I use the 1-2-1 shift with my 2016 Z06 at the first start but I expected by now GM would have issued a software update to force a partial pre-fill of the actuator at startup. Although the "jolt" from the flare isn't bad it isn't doing the clutch pack any good and over time it could create a problem with that pack due to excessive initial slippage followed by a hard lockup. Apparently the TCM either doesn't use separate cells to store the parameters for the shifts under different conditions (i.e. cold start, low speed) so it can't unlearn this behavior because the great majority of 1-2 shifts are normal which swamps the correction from the learning algorithm that would be applied if all 1-2 shifts were like the initial shift from cold start.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts
Default A8 Transmission Problems

I am looking to get back into a Corvette and looking at some new C7 GS cars tomorrow. At this point, I would prefer an A8, but in doing some research here, still a bit concerned/confused. The dealer has a new 2018 GS A8 with a build date of 7/17, a 3LT that they are offering 10k off of. Were the A8 problems pretty much resolved by GM by 7/17? My research seemed to indicate that last G updates were around 12/16? Is AFM still causing a problem with theses cars? As an aside on this particular car, I am thinking more than 10k should be taken off the MSRP?

The second GS I am looking at there is a 2019 GS LT2 A8. Were there any upgrades of the A8 between 7/17 and the 2019 cars?

I have also heard that when using the paddle shifters, this tranny shifts pretty slowly? Still the case for '18 and '19 cars?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking