Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnsie
I have a 2017 GS automatic with 3300 miles. The last time I drove it was to back it out the garage to wash it and pull it back into the garage when I was done. This morning when I put it into reverse, it would not move. It would not go forward either. I put it in neutral. Let it set. I probably repeated these steps three times all the while checking underneath the car to confirm that nothing was blocking the tires. I also checked the parking brake. I’m not a ‘car guy’ so I don’t know what’s happening but this has me freaked out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
It could be the stator assembly in the torque converter. Have it towed to the dealer. It's probably not forcing the fluid onto the blades of the turbine. Actually I'm pretty sure that is the issue. I hope I am wrong and it is just something simple. Hopefully it is just the brakes sticking.

Last edited by joemessman; 03-15-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:56 PM
guitarman1
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 79 Posts

Before having it towed, I would try putting it into reverse and give it a little more gas getting out of your garage. It could be simply rust between the brake pads and the rotors. If that doesn't work, then it's something more serious.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Extremely high likelihood that the pads are stuck to the rotor. This can happen with any vehicle but the very large pads/swept area means with a Corvette the "lock" will be far more solid. Does the engine appear to be under load when you apply a little throttle in forward and reverse? Try rocking between forward and reverse a few times and they will probably break loose.

After washing or driving in the rain it is a very good idea to drag the brakes enough to generate some heat. This problem rarely occurs from driving in the rain because enough heat is naturally built up during driving to "drive" out the moisture that leads to rust but washing the car and pulling it into the garage is the perfect plan to create this pad to rotor lock.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Burnsie
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was able to get it to drive. I drove it to work and drove it home. About twenty minutes each way. It’s vibrating/shuddering. I’m taking it to the dealership. Something is not right. Hoping I haven’t made a mistake buying GM.

Last edited by Burnsie; 03-15-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnsie
So I was able to get it to drive. I drove it to work and drove it home. About twenty minutes each way. It’s vibrating/shuddering. I’m taking it to the dealership. Something is not right.
Sounds like the torque converter...
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Extremely high likelihood that the pads are stuck to the rotor. This can happen with any vehicle but the very large pads/swept area means with a Corvette the "lock" will be far more solid. Does the engine appear to be under load when you apply a little throttle in forward and reverse? Try rocking between forward and reverse a few times and they will probably break loose.

After washing or driving in the rain it is a very good idea to drag the brakes enough to generate some heat. This problem rarely occurs from driving in the rain because enough heat is naturally built up during driving to "drive" out the moisture that leads to rust but washing the car and pulling it into the garage is the perfect plan to create this pad to rotor lock.
This is exactly correct! I had the same problem in my GT-R and it was really severe....very large brakes and a high iron content in the brake pads and discs/rotors. The problem was well known and even addressed in the owner's manual. Bad enough, in fact, that there were known occurrences of busting the brake rotors when really forcing the issue of trying to break loose the brakes! I have the iron brakes on my Z06 and it does they stick somewhat (nothing near as bad as the GT-R) and it does it even less on my '19 Mercedes. Nature of the beast....get a dustless type brake pad and this problem practically vanishes and better yet, so does the dust! I have the Z26 Powerstops, inexpensive (about $140 for all four wheels) and they work great....little to no sticking and dustless.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

So, after reading all of these posts, did GM ever come up with an actual, real permanent fix?
Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

They have a new fluid with a proper fill of transmission. Is what i understand. Wasn't filled properly at factory?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roastum1
They have a new fluid with a proper fill of transmission. Is what i understand. Wasn't filled properly at factory?
i have a difficult time believing that a “fill” issue causes the problem. Changing the fluid viscosity is also suspect. If this is true, research development and testing are severely lacking before a product is available on the market. I hope it is that simple.

Last edited by rkhegler; 03-17-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rkhegler
i have a difficult time believing that a “fill” issue causes the problem. Changing the fluid viscosity is also suspect. If this is true, research development and testing are severely lacking before a product is available on the market. I hope it is that simple.
Viscosity was the change for the first revised fluid, they are now blaming the original two fluid versions for being hygroscopic which is the formula change for fluid number version number 3. I share you skepticism.

The only factory fill problems were with the rear differential level (under filled early production) and proper filling of the Z06 intercooler system where too much air was left in the tank causing the pump to shut down. Fill level wasn't an issue with the 8L90 and either under or over-filling would cause a host of symptoms (slippage, failure to engage, overheating, etc. but not shudder)..

My 2016 Z06 has been fine thus far running on its original fluid and the second gen torque converter (it has its original torque converter and the changeover occurred before it was built in March 2016). It is never allowed to go into V4 mode which helps to prevent GM's clutch destroying programming.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NSC5
Viscosity was the change for the first revised fluid, they are now blaming the original two fluid versions for being hygroscopic which is the formula change for fluid number version number 3. I share you skepticism.

The only factory fill problems were with the rear differential level (under filled early production) and proper filling of the Z06 intercooler system where too much air was left in the tank causing the pump to shut down. Fill level wasn't an issue with the 8L90 and either under or over-filling would cause a host of symptoms (slippage, failure to engage, overheating, etc. but not shudder)..

My 2016 Z06 has been fine thus far running on its original fluid and the second gen torque converter (it has its original torque converter and the changeover occurred before it was built in March 2016). It is never allowed to go into V4 mode which helps to prevent GM's clutch destroying programming.
Personally. I think it is a mechanical design problem. GM is avoiding the issue (with temporary fixes) because it will be too expensive to redesign and replace all the converters.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Barry Hanna
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s amazing the tolerance that loyal customers have for such a failure. I would have thought that A8 sales would have gone to zero by now. Evidently, GM is content to let the problem continue, most likely it’s too costly to fix. One day, internal memos will shine a bright light on this fail. In the meantime, my purchase of any next Corvette is a non-starter.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It sounds like the problem has been resolved. There seems like nobody is complaining with the 2019 units. I hope this is the case since I am looking at a 2019 and undecided on transmissions. Should I be worried with the A8?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

dealer triple flushed mine with a new fluid. problem is gone in my base '15.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If it stays gone, I will be happy and will get my fluid changed. But a lot of people had initial success with fluid version 2 only to have the problem return within a year so I think the jury is still out on this one.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:19 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Barry Hanna
It’s amazing the tolerance that loyal customers have for such a failure. I would have thought that A8 sales would have gone to zero by now. Evidently, GM is content to let the problem continue, most likely it’s too costly to fix. One day, internal memos will shine a bright light on this fail. In the meantime, my purchase of any next Corvette is a non-starter.
Agree!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM
BK Vette
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

do the 2019+ models already have this new fluid?

I am still debating between manual and auto but prefer an auto. I wish the C7 had the 10 speed from the ZL1 (which is also being considered).

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Now holding onto my 2015 M7 for dear life!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 PM
EdMu
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Agree!
Indeed. After spending months on this forum I was led back to another Porsche Boxster S. I freely admit I was disappointed and wanted a C7 having owned a C2 and C3 previously. My hopes are that the C8 will be much closer to spot on right out of the chute.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,129 Likes on 530 Posts
Default You can run, but you can't hide

Originally Posted by EdMu
Indeed. After spending months on this forum I was led back to another Porsche Boxster S. I freely admit I was disappointed and wanted a C7 having owned a C2 and C3 previously. My hopes are that the C8 will be much closer to spot on right out of the chute.
Even the Boxster-S has problems, something with the oil pumps? My friend had one and a known problem I can't remember occurred.
Boxster's require pulling the engine for many problems. Very expensive for maintenance but they do have the 'Porchse' badge.
Good luck and enjoy the Boxster, they are fun to drive.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking