Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission failure tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by piper_chuck
Our 2016 is at the dealer due to a dead battery and the apparently common transmission shudder.

They've had it nearly three business days and are not bothering to keep me informed about status. I called late Monday afternoon and the service advisor sounded annoyed that I was calling for status. He told me he would call when it was ready, using a tone which implied he didn't want me calling him.
"mr serivce mgr, I'll see you in two days to pick my car up, fixed or not so better get cracking"
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

does the dealer have to replicate the shudder problem to do the flush, or is it something a customer can demand to have the triple flush if they have a 2016 a8 z06?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Based on the new TSB, the dealer has to scope the vibration and submit the results to GM to get approval to do the flush. So yes, it must be shuddering near constantly to get any help these days.
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Based on the new TSB, the dealer has to scope the vibration and submit the results to GM to get approval to do the flush. So yes, it must be shuddering near constantly to get any help these days.
sitting now at dealer for 2017 GS and getting trans fluid flushed and filled with new mobil 1 trans fluid. They asked me if I could wait 3 hours so they could do it under Warranty. I am waiting as I would rather be safe than wait until something happens when off warranty. All I said was check trans and brought up TSB number and they are doing it. Yes I have a range finder and have used for over 3000 miles, extra protection cannot hurt for down the road.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Sounds great! However it absolutely runs counter to the latest TSB. The picoscope reading is supposed to differentiate the frequency of the problem and confirm it is the transmission shudder not out of round wheel or driveshaft vibration or any number of other factors that can cause vibration. And the TSB also says the picoscope graph needs to be submitted to GM to get approval for warranty coverage of the flush. Now it could be true that GM would simply rather flush than add thousands of hours of picoscope diagnostic time to the thousands of flushes they are having to do across all the A8s in the system. Frankly that extra step always seemed unnecessarily expensive for GM to me. For you it doesn't matter. It is the Dealer at risk if they don't follow the TSB and GM holds them to all the steps in it.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:15 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My dealer told me that they need to perform the pico test to see if the vehicle has enough shudder for GM to warranty it. (my 2016 shudder was extreme and was covered under warranty) But the dealer can go ahead and do anything under warranty, the problem is when GM does a audit on the dealer and asks for documentation for all the warranty claims. If the dealer cannot produce the pico test printout for a transmission flush GM would not pay for the claim and the dealer would owe GM back the money. I guess it depends on how good the dealer knows the GM audit team and I would assume some auditors let things go more than others. Some dealers may have been burned in the past and have their technicians do all warranty work by the book now so Gm doesn't find any problems if they audit the dealer again.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Allpro
Racer

Originally Posted by Allpro
sitting now at dealer for 2017 GS and getting trans fluid flushed and filled with new mobil 1 trans fluid. They asked me if I could wait 3 hours so they could do it under Warranty. I am waiting as I would rather be safe than wait until something happens when off warranty. All I said was check trans and brought up TSB number and they are doing it. Yes I have a range finder and have used for over 3000 miles, extra protection cannot hurt for down the road.
Originally Posted by MA ZO6
My dealer told me that they need to perform the pico test to see if the vehicle has enough shudder for GM to warranty it. (my 2016 shudder was extreme and was covered under warranty) But the dealer can go ahead and do anything under warranty, the problem is when GM does a audit on the dealer and asks for documentation for all the warranty claims. If the dealer cannot produce the pico test printout for a transmission flush GM would not pay for the claim and the dealer would owe GM back the money. I guess it depends on how good the dealer knows the GM audit team and I would assume some auditors let things go more than others. Some dealers may have been burned in the past and have their technicians do all warranty work by the book now so Gm doesn't find any problems if they audit the dealer again.
went to dealer who sold me the car"1 Corvette Dealership . Mechanic said fluid dirty with only 5k miles on the trans fluid. I am so glad this is getting done, new fluid and filter has got to help.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Thunder80
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts

Great job. I have a question. What is all this with the A trans. I have not heard anything. Have a 2017 GS Collector. AUTO, has 7500 miles. SHOULD I CHANGE THE FLUID OR RUN IT? Please send a P M if you have any ideas on this. I will go back and read from page 1 to get up to speed. Thanks, Jim
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Allpro
Racer

I will say this and maybe I am imaging it but after the trans fluid change today, the shifts seem smoother . This has been
stated before I believe the additive in the new Trans fluid makes a difference. I still use the Range finder to make sure it
does not go back and forth between V4 and V8.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:43 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Thunder80
Great job. I have a question. What is all this with the A trans. I have not heard anything. Have a 2017 GS Collector. AUTO, has 7500 miles. SHOULD I CHANGE THE FLUID OR RUN IT? Please send a P M if you have any ideas on this. I will go back and read from page 1 to get up to speed. Thanks, Jim
The shudder problem ONLY happens in about 5% of the cars with the 8 speed automatic transmission. Most will never see the shudder problem and GM has yet to explain why it doesn't happen to all of them.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,133 Likes on 530 Posts

I think it is wise to change the fluid even if you don't have the shudder problem, yet!
Better as a preventative than wait to see if you get it.
Many people don't experience the problem until they have more than 10k or 20k miles.

I am on the fence with getting a Range AFM disabler, another $200.
Does it prevent anything?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

How much does the fluid exchange cost?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Roastum1
How much does the fluid exchange cost?
I've seen reports of $350+.
Lots of shop time and expensive fluid involved.
bbbvettes.com (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow thats alot!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
does the dealer have to replicate the shudder problem to do the flush, or is it something a customer can demand to have the triple flush if they have a 2016 a8 z06?
my dealer knew about the A8 issues and when I dropped truck off w the adviser he said they would do flush. He called next day and said my truck was ready so when I get there I asked what all they did and he said nothing, service mgr couldn't replicate the problem and I blew it. I told him the truck would sit there until they flushed it and I would drive their loaner in the meantime. Shortly after my sales guy walks up and takes over and my truck was ready the next day w flush done. It's been in since and ready to go back a third time .. said all that to say that if you car is having typical A8 issues and they pull the replicating stunt you have to stand your ground , escalate the matter up the tree until they take care of you. There's not any pre-requisite scoping procedures that have to be done .
Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
The shudder problem ONLY happens in about 5% of the cars with the 8 speed automatic transmission. Most will never see the shudder problem and GM has yet to explain why it doesn't happen to all of them.
who gave you your stats? GM?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 PM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

My dealer, Van's Chevrolet, quoted me about $800 which was ridiculous. I'm not covered under warranty due to my A&A supercharger and tune. So I did the flush myself back in early February. My car had a really bad shudder for about a month. Since the fluid change I have put another 3,000 miles on the car, and the shudder has been completely absent (knock on wood)!

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Donuts
my dealer knew about the A8 issues and when I dropped truck off w the adviser he said they would do flush. He called next day and said my truck was ready so when I get there I asked what all they did and he said nothing, service mgr couldn't replicate the problem and I blew it. I told him the truck would sit there until they flushed it and I would drive their loaner in the meantime. Shortly after my sales guy walks up and takes over and my truck was ready the next day w flush done. It's been in since and ready to go back a third time .. said all that to say that if you car is having typical A8 issues and they pull the replicating stunt you have to stand your ground , escalate the matter up the tree until they take care of you. There's not any pre-requisite scoping procedures that have to be done .
I'm more fact finding on what other dealers are telling their customers, its a very gray area. GM put it in writing it has to be replicated upon inspection. I had a feeling dealers were caving, as yours did. I was just curious.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-11-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 AM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Donuts
who gave you your stats? GM?
No, did my own searching on Google and I have talked to a few dealer service writers who I can trust. Do your own research and see what you come up with.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 AM
CRNA15
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my car from a dealer about two weeks ago, noticed the shudder right away. Took it back two days later and got the flush done under warranty. No questions asked from the tech, he said he knew I wasn’t bs’ing because I described the symptoms to the dot. 500 miles later with a range and the shifts are much smoother and no shudder. Make sure they do the trans relearn as well. Now I can finally put on headers.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (06-13-2019)

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking