Sponsored by:

Questions about clear film options

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:02 AM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Questions about clear film options

I called a local place in the Dallas area and was told that xpel on just the front bumper was about 6-700 and if I wanted to do 18" up from there was close to 1k. I know what a lot of you are thinking. You spent all this money and now you're trying to be cheap... Well, yeah, but I prefer to call it thrifty.

I'm looking for a couple things. First off, I already have a chip in the front bumper and the person I spoke with told me that this would have to be repainted (or completely fixed) before putting on film because the film would only amplify the issue. I'm working on fixing using DrColorChip. Does anyone have any experience with film when there has been a chip?

So, What are my options other than xpel? What kind of cost should I expect to pay? Any recommendations of places in Dallas area?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I had a couple small chips before my install. The installer took care of them for me. I didn't see them after he was done with it but I can tell you with the Xpel on the car I can't see them at all.... Definitely fix them or have them fixed prior to getting the film.

Xpel is a supporting member, I'm pasting below what they have posted below about pricing. I paid around $5k to have my whole car wrapped.

Biggest thing everyone says is to find an installer you can really trust and has worked on Corvettes. Use the film they are comfortable working with. I think though that you'll find many prefer to use Xpel, but depends a little on the area I think.

You can browse through the regional forums for your location and search it on Xpel, or PPF, or film, you should be able to find people recommending some particular installers.

Depending on where you live and what type of vehicle you have, the price can vary.

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

In addition to the full front coverage, the rocker panels are another great place to install for maximum protection.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I had this done for $730 and it is excellent. 3M for me. Liked state above, it's all about the installer no matter what product you choose. My installer was also a paint chip expert. Mine didn't have any, but the charge would have be $45 to repair any chips before the install. Here is what was covered on mine. Not as comprehensive as a lot of owners, but worked for me. Looks like the prices have went up. (I don't have fog lights)
Unless you point it out to someone you can't even tell it's on the car. Mine was done in Dec of 2015 and I have almost 36K on the car and is still in perfect condition.
Attached Images  

Last edited by joemessman; 06-23-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

I had the front bumper cover and mirrors installed for around $550.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 AM
segen77
Racer

I appreciate the advice. I'm hopeful someone in the Dallas Area can recommend a place that installs.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Have you not searched the regional forums as I suggested earlier? I just did a search for Dallas Xpel and had 2 hits with references and another search for Dallas Clear Bra and got a bunch more.

Posting in the general forums does not always get what you want. The title of your post is questions about clear film options and will not likely attract the eyes of folks in Texas. The info you need may already be in the regional forum and if not, posting there will give you a more targeted approach.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:17 PM
segen77
Racer

Originally Posted by mountainears
Have you not searched the regional forums as I suggested earlier? I just did a search for Dallas Xpel and had 2 hits with references and another search for Dallas Clear Bra and got a bunch more.

Posting in the general forums does not always get what you want. The title of your post is questions about clear film options and will not likely attract the eyes of folks in Texas. The info you need may already be in the regional forum and if not, posting there will give you a more targeted approach.
Thanks. I didn't know there were regional forums. I'll dig around the forum a bit more to look for them.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:24 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I've got a guy that comes to my house. Very reasonable. He's done six cars for me. PM me if you want contact information
The following users liked this post:
segen77 (06-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about clear film options

Quick Reply: Questions about clear film options