C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:26 AM
Chris Poole
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgating

I was driving back to my home state after visiting my mom. It was very early in the morning and I was going about 15 over this guy was tailgating me even though I was in the right lane. There was nothing I could do but just keep driving. After about 10-15 minutes of this we passed a super trooper in the median well sure enough he pulled out and dropped in behind us for a few seconds, he then pulled out and started around the car behind me and I thought for sure he was coming after me, but to my amazement he pulled up next to the tailgater for a few seconds then dropped back in behind my tailgater and hit his blue lights and pulled him over. It made my day. Every time I think of that night I smile.
The following users liked this post:
DickieDoo (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Finish passing the cars and then I move over into the right lane and let them drive at whatever pace they desire. Dumping it and going WOT, if observed by the FHP, will get you pulled over and a ticket. Highways are for driving.

You want to prove that you are faster? Go to the drag strip or road course and have at it.

That's how I handle it.

Elmer

Totally!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:04 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Chris Poole
I was driving back to my home state after visiting my mom. It was very early in the morning and I was going about 15 over this guy was tailgating me even though I was in the right lane. There was nothing I could do but just keep driving. After about 10-15 minutes of this we passed a super trooper in the median well sure enough he pulled out and dropped in behind us for a few seconds, he then pulled out and started around the car behind me and I thought for sure he was coming after me, but to my amazement he pulled up next to the tailgater for a few seconds then dropped back in behind my tailgater and hit his blue lights and pulled him over. It made my day. Every time I think of that night I smile.
I would have slipped the LEO a twenty! Nicely done!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I just move over and let them pass. I've nothing to prove to jackasses I don't even know.
NSC5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

My wife has a good strategy for tailgaters. She simply ignores them. Doesn't let them bother her.

...and if she's in the passing lane, PASSING other cars, then the tailgater is in for a long frustrating time behind her.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-25-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:19 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

First, always complete the pass promptly. No need to go WOT but don't let the pass take too long, especially if passing a truck. Next, if you have an agressive tailgater, put your turn signal on to indicate what you are going to do once you complete the pass, letting the tailgater know you see him and also letting the vehicle you are passing know you are about to make a lane change - chances are the vehicle you are passing knows someone is also on your *** so he's going to be cautious here or should be. Get out of the way of the tailgater promptly when it is safe to do so, chances are he will go WOT once you are out of his way, just to 'show you', and if he's got more power than brains, be ready for him to lose it along side of you or just in front of you.

I had a driving instructor once tell me that you can't control the idiot behind you, but you can control the same idiot once he's in front of you.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Dwim
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It is always trucks that want to antagonize me. they pull up beside me... pace me for a few seconds... then they gun it. Without fail, they make a lot of noise but don't go very far/fast. I chuckle at the ridiculousness of it, and keep driving exactly the same way I was driving to begin with. Nothing to prove.

Last edited by Dwim; 06-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM
JT Thompson
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First, Darwin was pretty far from being an idiot.

Second, just let them go by. It seems like you're looking for validation to go ahead and race on the highway and continue the game of bumper tag - not going to get it here. If they screw up and hit you when you're throwing up the white flag, guess who gets the blame for any incidents?

And yes, this happens to me daily - knowing that I can dust them means a lot more to me than having to prove it over and over. I was lucky to escape my teens and twenties intact because I was just like you - pissed off that they would DARE get that close to my car on MY highway.

Just deep breath and move it on over.
The following 2 users liked this post by JT Thompson:
golden2husky (06-27-2017), Walt White Coupe (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Thompson
First, Darwin was pretty far from being an idiot.
Indeed. Darwin was a thoughtful man. Richard Dawkins, now there's an idiot. Both are right on the science, but Dawkins manages to still be an idiot while being usually right, because he's religious about his science. There's not much worse. But I digress...

This thread is an interesting but terrifying mix of:

1) People with the right advice (stay out of left lane, move over), and
2) People who seek to annoy or puff their chest or extract revenge on a public roadway

I think it's probably just reflective of the general idiocy we all (at least those in the (1) group) experience day to day on the road.

When you are in your car, just because it FEELS like you are in your home, you're not in your home, you're not in your personal space, you're not in your castle. You're on a shared public roadway. One with rules and laws and customs that were set long before you were even born.

Two people accidentally bump into each other on a sidewalk, they can't apologize to each other quickly enough. Put them in cars, though, and it's always the other guy's fault because hey, after all, I'm in my car and they should respect my home as the visitor they are. Except they aren't a visitor any more than you.

That's my five cent psychology ramble...

Last edited by davepl; 06-25-2017 at 04:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davepl:
Chemdawg99 (06-25-2017), Foosh (06-26-2017), golden2husky (06-27-2017), NSC5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Assume the other driver is armed and act accordingly. It is not worth losing your life or your car trying to get revenge on some low-life, inconsiderate, mouth-breathing, illiterate neanderthal.

You know you have the better, faster car so just smile and wish them a slow and painful death.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Indeed. Darwin was a thoughtful man. Richard Dawkins, now there's an idiot. Both are right on the science, but Dawkins manages to still be an idiot while being usually right, because he's religious about his science. There's not much worse. But I digress...

This thread is an interesting but terrifying mix of:

1) People with the right advice (stay out of left lane, move over), and
2) People who seek to annoy or puff their chest or extract revenge on a public roadway

I think it's probably just reflective of the general idiocy we all (at least those in the (1) group) experience day to day on the road.

When you are in your car, just because it FEELS like you are in your home, you're not in your home, you're not in your personal space, you're not in your castle. You're on a shared public roadway. One with rules and laws and customs that were set long before you were even born.

Two people accidentally bump into each other on a sidewalk, they can't apologize to each other quickly enough. Put them in cars, though, and it's always the other guy's fault because hey, after all, I'm in my car and they should respect my home as the visitor they are. Except they aren't a visitor any more than you.

This.

Again, no reason to indulge idiocy on a public roadway.

Taking the challenge/bait can only end one of three ways: innocently, inconveniently, or tragically. You'll never know which of the three ways it will end, so it's better not to tempt fate.

I have the satisfaction of knowing I drive my dream car daily and can invoke all kinds of emotions in others just by driving it to work. That some **** ant driver feels the need to goad me into a street race only adds to my satisfaction and his/her frustration when I don't take the bait or answer the challenge.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Crow55
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few thoughts:

1. Fast lane is for passing. If you're not passing get out.
2. Why let someone else force you into a reaction -- burning fuel and being hard on your car?
3. If you really want to f*** with them, let them pass and then start following them. Not close behind and don't go more than about 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit, but just start mirroring their lane changes and turns (for as long as practical...stay behind them and don't let it screw up your route, but you might get them to screw up their route). Only do this if you know they are a p**sy, not a felon. Otherwise, they might start following you in which case you'll have to lead them out into the country and use your AR to reduce population count. Works better if you have an older C4 Corvette that is beat to sh*t or generally driving something that is worth less than $3k.

Last edited by Crow55; 06-25-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:28 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow55
A few thoughts:

1. Fast lane is for passing. If you're not passing get out.
2. Why let someone else force you into a reaction -- burning fuel and being hard on your car?
3. If you really want to f*** with them, let them pass and then start following them. Not close behind and don't go more than about 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit, but just start mirroring their lane changes and turns (for as long as practical...stay behind them and don't let it screw up your route, but you might get them to screw up their route). Only do this if you know they are a p**sy, not a felon. Otherwise, they might start following you in which case you'll have to lead them out into the country and use your AR to reduce population count. Works better if you have an older C4 Corvette that is beat to sh*t or generally driving something that is worth less than $3k.
Easy boy!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Yes! The driver who goes to the front of a merge line and forces his way in would never think of doing to people in a check out line.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Torque Obsessed
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

If someone is faster than me, they should be ahead of me. I'm responsible for not slowing down the people stuck behind me. We're all just trying to get home or to work or somewhere and I owe it to them not to hold them up. I also want the same from them - if I'm faster, please let me by.

With that said, it's pretty rare for anyone to keep up with me or pass me. Seems to happen only in Texas. Those folks are in a hurry and I love it.

If I'm passing in the left lane and someone comes up behind me, I'll speed up, complete my pass, and get over. Then they can take point and draw the tickets. I'm happy to let them because I have 3 rules which I've followed since I was a teenager:

1. Don't be the fast car.
2. Don't be the lead car.
3. Don't drive in the left lane.

I've never been pulled over when following at least 2 of these 3 rules.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:38 PM
KiZi
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure this will keep those tailgaters away

But seriously just get out of their way.
joemessman (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I just move over to the right and let them by...

Get notified of new replies

To Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?

Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Crow55
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed
I'm happy to let them because I have 3 rules which I've followed since I was a teenager:

1. Don't be the fast car.
2. Don't be the lead car.
3. Don't drive in the left lane.

I've never been pulled over when following at least 2 of these 3 rules.
Probably one of the smartest responses here. I'm always looking for a bait car to follow. I don't want to get the ticket and have never had a ticket that was not later expunged from my record (almost ran over a pedestrian when I was a teenager and distracted by a friend...had the ticket removed by showing up in court, paying a fee, and agreeing to read some material).
Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
First if you floor it, they may actually be faster and show you up. Not sure if you own a Z06.
Not necessarily. This is the beauty of it. See I got the surprise so I am already leaving him in his hopped mustang because it will take him a second to hit it and then I am way in front. Then when there is adequate good space I pull over into the middle lane and just go back to the speed I was going. So he flies pass me but everybody in his car already knows I shut it down. This is the best strategy especially if he has some passengers. Because this will frustrate him so much he will slow down get beside me and try to taunt me and I will just cruise along maybe even wave but I won't race him back.

So now he drives off with his passengers thinking he got whooped. And he never got to show off his 1000 hp motor because i didn't bite.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

React smartly. There could be a cop around just waiting for some goober to make his day. Is a $2k to $3k ticket and 30 day w/o your car worth getting goaded into it ? Sometimes yes ... Mostly no.

Quick Reply: Muscle cars tailgating you on the freeway..how do you react?