Sponsored by:

2015 Z51 broke down on me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Do you still have the used car sticker that states manufacturer's warranty in effect? It would be good to dig that out.

You don't have to have oil changes done at dealers for the warranty; I do my own but I keep a spreadsheet of records for each of my vehicles along with receipts for the oil and filters. If the previous owners were set up with OnStar I believe OnStar will have a record of when the oil was changed since the monthly updates show the calculation from the OLM system in the car.

You probably should be talking with the Cadillac dealer that sold you the car to see what records they have since it should have been checked by them when they accepted it as a trade.

The manager at the Cadillac dealer called me and said he was pretty confident the Chevrolet dealer are liable to do the work under warranty but to contact him if they say otherwise so I'm just on standby until Wednesday when I get some answers. Unfortunately Monday I start a new job two hours outside of Atlanta so have to juggle this issue and leave the city with my car here at a dealership. Not a good time.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Felix
The manager at the Cadillac dealer called me and said he was pretty confident the Chevrolet dealer are liable to do the work under warranty but to contact him if they say otherwise so I'm just on standby until Wednesday when I get some answers. Unfortunately Monday I start a new job two hours outside of Atlanta so have to juggle this issue and leave the city with my car here at a dealership. Not a good time.
This car trouble will be worked out somehow so don't let it in any way interfere with getting a great start at your new position. As a recently retired college business prof one bit of advice I tried to ingrain in my graduating seniors is that your performance in the first few weeks and months in a new job is the most critical because that is what really establishes your image with others. If you impress from the first you will have a much better career trajectory and any small mistakes will be overlooked as part of the process. If you don't impress at first those same mistakes will likely be viewed as a fatal flaw ensuring a less than stellar environment for you. Although the car is a big concern now, five years from now whatever happens with the car is "in the noise" in terms of importance but your early performance in this new position will continue to be critically important.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSC5
This car trouble will be worked out somehow so don't let it in any way interfere with getting a great start at your new position. As a recently retired college business prof one bit of advice I tried to ingrain in my graduating seniors is that your performance in the first few weeks and months in a new job is the most critical because that is what really establishes your image with others. If you impress from the first you will have a much better career trajectory and any small mistakes will be overlooked as part of the process. If you don't impress at first those same mistakes will likely be viewed as a fatal flaw ensuring a less than stellar environment for you. Although the car is a big concern now, five years from now whatever happens with the car is "in the noise" in terms of importance but your early performance in this new position will continue to be critically important.

Great bit of advice, I really appreciate that and will keep in mind this next week. Thankfully I should have some answers before Monday so I still have a week to clear my mind and situate this.
The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:11 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I would tow it to a Chevy dealer, not the place where you bought it. North point Chevrolet on Mansell Rd and 400 (Alpharetta) have excellent mechanics, They service all three of my Corvettes and two trucks.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by c6miller
I would tow it to a Chevy dealer, not the place where you bought it. North point Chevrolet on Mansell Rd and 400 (Alpharetta) have excellent mechanics, They service all three of my Corvettes and two trucks.

I had it towed to the closest Chevrolet to me which was off of Cobb Pkwy. I went in thinking it would be an easy fix, but basically ended up sitting there for a good two or three hours until the service advisor came back and said it needed a new motor and wouldn't have much more Information until after the 4th... maybe I should have asked more questions but he wasn't very helpful to begin with so being that I was pretty frustrated that I'm being told my Corvette with 30k miles that I've only owned for a month needs a new motor I just said okay I'll touch base after the 4th and walked home. I'm still hoping he is just a jack *** that didn't really care too much and was looking forward to ruining someone's day. I'll see Wednesday I guess but I will say that it would be very surprising if my car went from driving fine literally one minute and needing a new motor the next.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:50 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

I had it towed to the closest Chevrolet to me which was off of Cobb Pkwy. I went in thinking it would be an easy fix, but basically ended up sitting there for a good two or three hours until the service advisor came back and said it needed a new motor and wouldn't have much more Information until after the 4th... maybe I should have asked more questions but he wasn't very helpful to begin with so being that I was pretty frustrated that I'm being told my Corvette with 30k miles that I've only owned for a month needs a new motor I just said okay I'll touch base after the 4th and walked home. I'm still hoping he is just a jack *** that didn't really care too much and was looking forward to ruining someone's day. I'll see Wednesday I guess but I will say that it would be very surprising if my car went from driving fine literally one minute and needing a new motor the next.
Get a lawyer and go after dealer that sold you the car.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

... it would be very surprising if my car went from driving fine literally one minute and needing a new motor the next.
Toasty valve spring/dropped valve could do that and keep the engine from turning over as well.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't let it get you down. It'll either all get fixed and you'll have a new engine or you'll end up with your money back and you can start a new search.

It's a bit lame that they didn't offer to take you home and instead you walked. I recommend stopping in on the 5th and asking for an update and while you are there you should talk to the dealership manager and explain the situation and ask for a courtesy loaner until you can be given a firm expectation of the timeline - you can even drop lines such as "I'll need a courtesy loaner for transportation if I am going to accept the repairs rather than persue a buy-back". Maybe make a call to GM corp too.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.
NSC5 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

Derek -
If you would like some assistance when you speak with the dealer on Monday, you may want to ask if anyone on the forum is in your general area. Having someone else and perhaps older may help pave your way at bit to get better answers.

If you get much static at the Chevy dealer, perhaps the Caddy dealer will be willing to make a phone call or better yet, speak in person with the powers that be at the Chevy dealer on your behalf.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I hope everything turns out OK for you as you are still under warranty.

Just file this one under- learn from experience. My guess is you bought the first one you saw.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

It seems odd that they came back that fast and said you need a new motor. Way back with my 97 I had the car come to a grinding halt (and, just for fun, I was 300 miles from home). The engine was seized, but it took them over 2 days to find out why. What happened was there was an electrical short and the starter motor got stuck in the engaged position, melted, and seized the motor. All they had to do to fix it was fix the electrical wire and replace the starter. The warranty would have covered the new motor they feared it needed, but it was much better all around to find the real cause and fix it.

So make sure they tell you exactly what the problem is.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
It seems odd that they came back that fast and said you need a new motor. Way back with my 97 I had the car come to a grinding halt (and, just for fun, I was 300 miles from home). The engine was seized, but it took them over 2 days to find out why. What happened was there was an electrical short and the starter motor got stuck in the engaged position, melted, and seized the motor. All they had to do to fix it was fix the electrical wire and replace the starter. The warranty would have covered the new motor they feared it needed, but it was much better all around to find the real cause and fix it.

So make sure they tell you exactly what the problem is.
I agree and like I said the service advisor was not much help. The more I think about it the more this guy could have just been looking forward to ruining someone's 4th of July weekend. Either way I plan on stopping by tomorrow and getting more information on exactly what the situation is hopefully some answers about whether or not my warranty will cover the whole thing.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Derek, don't let it get you down bud. Many of us old guys have been in that same boat some time in our younger days. Like suggested I concur that you need an older adult (Dad, Uncle, etc.) to head down to the dealer with you. It's not probable, but it is possible the Service guy will see a "kid" and attempt to run a BS situation at you. Remember, "this too shall pass." (one of my Dads old sayings). Good luck on the new job.
itaylorm (07-04-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:45 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Achilles97
Don't let it get you down. It'll either all get fixed and you'll have a new engine or you'll end up with your money back and you can start a new search.

It's a bit lame that they didn't offer to take you home and instead you walked. I recommend stopping in on the 5th and asking for an update and while you are there you should talk to the dealership manager and explain the situation and ask for a courtesy loaner until you can be given a firm expectation of the timeline - you can even drop lines such as "I'll need a courtesy loaner for transportation if I am going to accept the repairs rather than persue a buy-back". Maybe make a call to GM corp too.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.
You may not believe this but dealers are not that happy about a major job like that. It takes a technician away from turning out repairs quickly. They will work on that when the Tech has some free time. That is why it usually takes very long to get you car back. They don't like to dedicate a Man on one job all day.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Kind of insulting to the OP when he is nervous and worried, don't you think ??
OP should post in the other forum, much more civil and none of the members there attack each other.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

I know that this is not an easy process I just want the piece of mind to know that it will all be covered under my bumper to bumper to warranty. Spoke to the service advisor this morning and of course he was "just about to give me a call" and explained that they have the Atlanta GM rep involved and will give me a call today or tomorrow about what to expect next.
beaversstonehaven (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Alright so I finally got a call back. At first the guy told me they don't repair corvette engines and only replace them, now he is saying he provided false information and GM gave them the green light to take a look at the engine and see what is causing the problem, depending on how that goes will determine if the repairs are covered under my warranty but the process won't start until Monday. He said what could void the warranty is if the oil changes were not done but the carfax shows the previous owner did one at 8k 16k and 26k then one was done at 28k when I purchased the vehicle so I'm hoping everything should be covered and he did mention if they got the green light to start the process it's definitely a good sign. Only positive thing this guy has told me so far.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z51 broke down on me!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Walk away from that car if you don't have it in writing, verified by a GM dealer that the block is lifted.

Allowing even one bolt on that car to be disturbed may absolve the selling dealer of having to accept it as a return.
itaylorm (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Walk away from that car if you don't have it in writing, verified by a GM dealer that the block is lifted.

Allowing even one bolt on that car to be disturbed may absolve the selling dealer of having to accept it as a return.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

I don't have a black on my warranty, the Chevrolet service advisor just can't confirm the repairs are covered, it's over his head and if they can not confirm the repairs are covered until they inspect the vehicle further which GM has agreed to let them do so far what would you suggest I do..

Quick Reply: 2015 Z51 broke down on me!