Sponsored by:

Tipping GM mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Texavfan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tipping is in my mind a show of your individual appreciation for service from another person that you found to be extraordinary. A tip for any personal service I receive from another because I am too lazy or just plain dont want to do it is just natural too me. I am in a service industry and believe me dealing with the public can suck (proven by some of the remarks here) no matter how much you make.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Tipping has gitten out of hand. It is now expected in certain circles and the have the ***** to tell how much.
Justgot back from the Le Mans race. Your tip is in your bill you have no choice even if the service sucks.
knightindustries2000 (08-07-2021)
Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by oemtech
Tipping has gitten out of hand. It is now expected in certain circles and the have the ***** to tell how much.
Justgot back from the Le Mans race. Your tip is in your bill you have no choice even if the service sucks.
That's not tipping that is an involuntary service fee.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:10 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by oemtech
I'm calling BS on this one. If a place tells me I must tips x% then I tip them x%-x% or IOW nothing. Demand a tip - you'll get nothing! Include the tip in the bill? I'll tell you to remove it and I would refuse to pay it! And you can refuse to pay it. It's not being cheap rather it's the principle of the matter. Tips are defined as voluntary. You make it mandatory then it's no longer a tip -

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_tipping

Appellate courts regard mandatory gratuities as income for servers rather than a tip, thus affecting taxation. However, court cases have yet to set a precedent that failing to pay "mandatory gratuity" is illegal. [8]

Restaurant customers who pay the food portion of their bill but not the mandatory gratuity have at times been arrested, charges are generally dropped.[9][10]
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

I personally don't tip mechanics. These days, everyone and their brother expects to be tipped; 10-15 years ago you never saw this. Most of these techs/mechanics make a pretty good living. If they do a great job I let them know by expressing my sincere "thank you" and may even post about my experience on a forum like this. I'll leave my tipping for folks in the restaurant industry.
knightindustries2000 (08-07-2021)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Wolfie
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had never thought of tipping the mechanic. In fact, at the dealer I go to you never see the mechanic. All you deal with is the service advisor.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
All this talk about tipping reminds me of the classic scene from the classic Quentin Tarantino movie Reservoir Dogs.

WARNING: Adult Language!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwQ9G4epys
Welcome to the thread. Check out post 26....
Old 07-23-2017, 01:33 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
Welcome to the thread. Check out post 26....
Yikes, sorry, I missed it...will delete post.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 AM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I always tip my Corvette tech, but unlike others, I always get the same tech. He always is happy to have me watch the service, and goes out of his way to answer any questions I may have. To me, it's worth $20 to have the tech do something I do not think is in his job description. I have also on occasion tipped the service advisor, like when he secured a loaner car for me when I had an overnight warranty service on my Vette. They have a shuttle service, but he somehow produced a loaner, and I thought that was going a little beyond what is required.

In my line of business, a tax attorney, I do not receive monetary tips; I feel I charge a fair fee and so do my clients. My tip is a return client and in some cases, a thank you note, which to me is much more satisfying that a monetary tip.

Ken
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tipped the stereo guy when he installed a switch that allowed me to play DVD's while driving, He wasn't supposed to, obviously. That was a long time ago. I don't see why a mechanic would get a tip. Not unless I was given some kind of special care. Especially at a dealership where service is ridiculously expensive already. How much money are you trying to give up? They should be taking good care of your car in the first place. If they don't, find a spot that does.

Last edited by FruiTay; 07-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Co-Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm with the gift card/lunch/other around the holidays for good service overall, or one time for extraordinary service. For GM dealer service though, the service managers follow up with a plea for top ratings on the corporate surveys, so glad to help out there if the service visit went well. For independent shops consider a good Yelp or other review if you liked the product or service and you're not into tipping.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Every so often I'll read in a thread, as I did here this morning, about someone tipping their GM tech for doing an oil change correctly, that sort of thing.

I have never, ever, not even once, tipped a dealership mechanic. Or a service advisor. Or anyone at a dealership, actually.

One time a small independent shop spent a ton of time diagnosing a problem with my car late on a Friday, so I swung by the next week and dropped off a nice gift bottle of Crown Royal, but that's it.

Is it normal and customary to tip a GM mechanic? I just find the whole idea weird. Or maybe I'm just out of touch.

What sayeth the forum?
Generally no. That being said, If I was having an issue that I saw a mechanic spend hours trying to find and finally fixed the issue...I'd likely slip him a $20 and say thanks for the great job, have a burger and a Sam Adams on me.

IMO there is doing your job, and going above and beyond to find and fix an issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Tipping has become out of control. I happen to believe tipping is reserved for those who provide you an out of the realm of their job, a service above and beyond their assigned responsibilities not solicited, but just done. To tip a mechanic who is already getting paid a very good salary, to just do what they were hired to do, well not me, my money is hard earned and I just don't have that excessive cash to tip a $20 or $50 dollars.

Maybe the ones who are tipping can afford it, but with the cost of living of today, I cannot afford to give away money... IMHO
Tefer (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:03 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow very touchy subject. I was thinking this was something you either do or don't do

Quick Reply: Tipping GM mechanics