Different view on A8 vs M7

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:04 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

corvettes need to have 3 pedals
The following 2 users liked this post by RFZ:
dvilin (07-10-2017), ptran00 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The A8 is quicker for 3 laps then gets a DNF.

It's got better acceleration gearing, pretty deep 4.56 first gear, of course it's going to feel faster. On the flip side the M7 1st gear is abnormally steep. The stock auto tune limits power in a way that makes it easy to launch and you have a recipe for great 60fts on street tires.

but if you don't care about 60 ft times and have a functional left leg, the manual is so much better experience.

I had an M7 Stingray, A8 2016 Z06, went back now to a M7 2017 Z06. (sorry to repeat that in a few threads but this topic comes up too often)
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
dvilin (07-10-2017), ptran00 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:44 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No interest in a manual Z whatsoever, as it's an antiquated device that has no business in a modern computer controlled sports car. The A8 is quicker and, if you know what you're doing, more fun to drive. The M7 is slower and gets in your way.

I have manuals, both Muncies and TKOs, in older cars. They're retro-fun. Sidestepping the car into second is entertaining. But I wouldn't saddle a new Z with one.

Did these blanket statements about the A8 being better and more fun seem weird? That's how the M7 statements seem to me. To each their own, but until someone explains to me why shifting with your foot is more fun than shifting with a paddle, I remain unconvinced.

I'm excluding M7 dragstrip launches here, which are a completely different thing. That's a challenge some might revel in.

Last edited by davepl; 07-09-2017 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lakemg (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
but until someone explains to me why shifting with your foot is more fun than shifting with a paddle, I remain unconvinced.
I'll give it a try. First, you're kind of "cheating" there because you're using a paddle. That's a middle-ground and not a pure auto. I believe the feature is there so people can pretend they're driving a manual, kinda. If you're using the auto as an auto it's a no-brainer. You just shove your right foot down and forget about everything else. A monkey could do it. With a manual you must be more in-tune with the needs of the car. Does it need a downshift on this corner or can you pull it off in the gear you are in? Do you need to drop it to fourth coming off this mountain pass to help you brake, or are you willing to heat up the brakes themselves instead? If you punch it right now to get around this 18-wheeler, will you have enough torque or will you bog down? Maybe you really should get out of seventh before you try. All these things more or less force you to pay attention to RPMs by listening to the car or, God forbid, actually look at the RPM gauge if it's too loud to hear. And you must instantly respond if the car tells you, "This ain't gonna fly, pal. Do something now!" I'm not sure any of this automatically (pardon the pun) makes it "more fun," but surely we can agree that you need to pay more attention. Of course, all this begs the question: Do you WANT to pay more attention or not? Your choice is in your answer. I've got both so I don't feel wedded to one side or another. For me speed is not a factor. Sometimes I just prefer to pay attention to the scenery instead of the car. Other times it's just very satisfying to run through the gears.

I will regret it, however, when the day comes I don't have a choice. "Still, automatic vehicles are becoming more and more ubiquitous in the U.S. Just 30 years ago, 71 percent of vehicles on American roads had automatic transmissions, and today it’s more than 96 percent. Further, Edmunds.com reported that 67 percent of car models manufactured for the 2013 model year were only available with automatic transmissions." (thezebra.com) And, of course, we have already reached a point where many people simply do not know how to drive a manual. They have never had the opportunity and don't have the skills.

Last edited by mschuyler; 07-09-2017 at 08:27 PM.
ptran00 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
With a manual you must be more in-tune with the needs of the car.
It is truly a bonding experience every time we drive.

...we have already reached a point where many people simply do not know how to drive a manual.
This may come in handy if we are ever carjacked.
woodsguy (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

"This may come in handy if we are ever carjacked."

Could be very funny!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsguy
"This may come in handy if we are ever carjacked."

Could be very funny!
Or the manual gearbox may force the perp to switch from carjacker to kidnapper because now he needs you to be the chauffeur. But given the lowlifes that stoop to carjacking you probably just get shot out of frustration.

So the new political solution will be to mandate that kids learn how to drive a stick in driver's ed so that society won't be responsible for the misunderstood young kid's criminal escalation from theft to murder
Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

To each their own, but until someone explains to me why shifting with your foot is more fun than shifting with a paddle, I remain unconvinced.
well, I don't think shifting a car with your foot would be too fun either. you can do that??
woodsguy (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It's really pretty simple.

Some of us enjoy the never-ending pursuit of making perfect shifts and all that's required in coordinating clutch pedal, gear shifts, and throttle. We'll never be perfect every time, but when you you get it just right, it's a rush. That's why it's more fun.

There's no challenge when the car is doing everything for you.
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

I'll give it a try. First, you're kind of "cheating" there because you're using a pa0ddle. That's a middle-ground and not a pure auto. I believe the feature is there so people can pretend they're driving a manual, kinda.
Technically even the old school autos like the power glide and turbo 350/400 had the option to manually drop the trans to Low or Drive for the power glide and 1, 2, or Drive for the turbo 350/400s. So while the paddles are a new method of holding a specific gear, the concept of manually shifting an auto is not a new feature.
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll give it a try. First, you're kind of "cheating" there because you're using a paddle. That's a middle-ground and not a pure auto. I believe the feature is there so people can pretend they're driving a manual, kinda. If you're using the auto as an auto it's a no-brainer. You just shove your right foot down and forget about everything else. A monkey could do it. With a manual you must be more in-tune with the needs of the car. Does it need a downshift on this corner or can you pull it off in the gear you are in? Do you need to drop it to fourth coming off this mountain pass to help you brake, or are you willing to heat up the brakes themselves instead? If you punch it right now to get around this 18-wheeler, will you have enough torque or will you bog down? Maybe you really should get out of seventh before you try. All these things more or less force you to pay attention to RPMs by listening to the car or, God forbid, actually look at the RPM gauge if it's too loud to hear. And you must instantly respond if the car tells you, "This ain't gonna fly, pal. Do something now!" I'm not sure any of this automatically (pardon the pun) makes it "more fun," but surely we can agree that you need to pay more attention. Of course, all this begs the question: Do you WANT to pay more attention or not? Your choice is in your answer. I've got both so I don't feel wedded to one side or another. For me speed is not a factor. Sometimes I just prefer to pay attention to the scenery instead of the car. Other times it's just very satisfying to run through the gears.

I will regret it, however, when the day comes I don't have a choice. "Still, automatic vehicles are becoming more and more ubiquitous in the U.S. Just 30 years ago, 71 percent of vehicles on American roads had automatic transmissions, and today it’s more than 96 percent. Further, Edmunds.com reported that 67 percent of car models manufactured for the 2013 model year were only available with automatic transmissions." (thezebra.com) And, of course, we have already reached a point where many people simply do not know how to drive a manual. They have never had the opportunity and don't have the skills.
Everything in the car is computer controlled and a manual clutch is the difference? Really? Now if you say you prefer driving a 63, where nothing is computer controlled or much is assisted, then I can understand that feeling. But really, without the computer you can't steer or even get gas to the engine on a modern car. Thinking a clutch makes a difference is just delusional. You want old-school, get a horse.
lakemg (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Using a foot to press a pedal to then allow you to use our hand to move a mechanical shifter sounds so 60's-80's. But if you like platform shoes and Nik Nik shirts and bell bottoms go for it.

Shifting with one finger on each hand while they are on the wheel at 10 and 2 seems so much smarter to me. And clearly it is quicker. Now all that is necessary is for the cooling to catch up on the A8. Until that happens I certainly can see why one would have an M7 on a car that spends a lot of time on a track.

I still have several cars with T56s or T6060s but every time I drive them I wonder why do all this work? And the simple answer is that the old automatics were to automatic and not programmed primarily to be driven in Manual mode.

Heck I even drive my small ATS in M mode even without paddles. Just a flick of the wrist up or down and you change gears. Much easier than all that 3rd pedal crap that is necessary with classic cars.

What we really need is a thread comparing recirculating ball steering vs. rack and pinion. Might find a bunch of folks that want that old loose large steering wheel feeling you can get with any 60's Y or F body.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

This, and every other of the endless threads on the same topic are always the same, with the same arguments occurring over and over and over again.

It's really incredibly stupid. Different folks like different things . . . simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
2fastnow (07-09-2017), oyealiz (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I know how to drive a manual I just like automatics better. Its that simple like what you like.
dvilin (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

until someone explains to me why shifting with your foot is more fun than shifting with a paddle, I remain unconvinced.
Because paddles suck, duh.
oyealiz (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yeah, I also tried to like them too, and failed, so I came back to old-school, which makes me much happier.
oyealiz (07-09-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
This, and every other of the endless threads on the same topic are always the same, with the same arguments occurring over and over and over again.

It's really incredibly stupid. Different folks like different things . . . simple.
I was reading the thread with the intention of saying the same thing. Endless threads on A8 vs M7. Once a month or so there will be a "different take on the A8 vs M7" that just happens to be the exact same arguments as all the other threads.

Anyway, regardless of which is faster or more fun, the M7 is clearly more reliable. The main reason I went M7 was saving $1800. Glad I cheaped out. Even if my hypothetical A8 was working flawless, I'd still stress about the possibility of it failing and the possible treadmill I might end up on repairing the car over and over.
Judgment Day (07-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Different view on A8 vs M7

Old 07-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's really pretty simple.

Some of us enjoy the never-ending pursuit of making perfect shifts and all that's required in coordinating clutch pedal, gear shifts, and throttle. We'll never be perfect every time, but when you you get it just right, it's a rush. That's why it's more fun.

There's no challenge when the car is doing everything for you.
I could not have said it any better.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Shifting with paddles how exciting. At least be honest why you got an automatic and stop with the it is faster stuff. Most of you have never been in a race or on a track.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Ahhh.. The endless automatic vs manual debate. Buy what you like... All that matters is you like it..

Quick Reply: Different view on A8 vs M7