Sponsored by:

New ('17) C7 or modify a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default New ('17) C7 or modify a C6?

Have been beyond pleased with our '09 C6 2LT M6 convertible for quite a few years- it has been reliable and a ton of fun. I bought it used at an excellent price in 2012 with very low miles (only about 4k at the time) and it now only has a tick over 20k miles now. The only real complaints I have with the car is a lack of options with the 2LT and "base" level performance.

I have a common affliction that I LOVE cars, especially new ones! A trusted dealership (yes, I realize that is an oxymoron) has located a loaded, 2017 3LT Grand Sport in the exact color combo (white w/red interior) and an automatic. It is VERY enticing but I am conflicted and posing the question to the C7 community. I realize I will get biased opinions since the folks here have already opted for the C7 but value your 1st hand opinions. Really interested in those that were previous C6 owners that came from similar cars to their current one.

My main sources of conflict are that I really like the lines and look of the C6 compared to the C7 and the cost of swapping. Not bashing the C7, just a matter of preference. Looking at private selling my current car, I am looking at roughly a $60k delta to buy the C7. I love cars and can't help but think that for $15k or so I could update and customize my current C6 to be the ultimate sleeper with both performance and comfort options.

Yes, my posting sounds like I've made up my mind to keep the C6 but I went and drove a new C7 Z06 (no, not an exact comparison) to get a feel. It was very impressive but unsure, so looking for input from the vast storehouse of experience here!

/r

Allen
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Go C7, Allen.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

With that kind of Delta I understand, but there are light years of difference between C6 and C7. I really don't think spending $15K on a C6 to "improve" it will be worth your while. It's an excellent car in its own right and money down a rat hole with zero ROI. If you need to keep it, keep it as is. They are beautiful. But if you can possibly swing a C7, I think you will be delighted.

Last edited by mschuyler; 07-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Rsaodom
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I would go C7 as well. Interior is much improved as is the car overall in my opinion. Good color choices you have as well.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mschuyler
With that kind of Delta I understand, but there are light years of difference between C6 and C7. I really don't think spending $15K on a C6 to "improve" it will be worth your while. It's an excellent car in its own right and money down a rat hole with zero ROI. If you need to keep it, keep it as is. They are beautiful. But if you can possibly swing a C7, I think you will be delighted.
The ROI is the odd part for me. My better-half thinks I'm nuts that my 2 dream cars are an '87 Olds Cutlass 442 and a '71 El Camino, neither of which are the epitome of typical "dream" cars! The worst part is my thing would be a resto-mod for both taking the classic lines and updating with current tech. Zero interest in re-selling, just like them and would love to make one how I'd like it...

I really like the C7 and have immense respect for the advances made with them from the C6, I guess that's why I'm debating this to start with. The other half of me is intrigued with the potential of the C6 to have a canvass to do with whatever I want. Thankfully, it is a solid platform to start from with a healthy aftermarket.

In the end, I guess it's a good problem to have...

/r

Allen
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Mr. Knowitall
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome. I had an '84 Curlass Supreme 5-L in high school. When I went off to college, my sister slowly destroyed it. Finally, she drove it on the freeway one day without any coolant in the radiator until the engine ceased.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have a 2008 Z51 with 680 ft lb of torque. My avator is a picture of under the hood. Its a 6 speed and will run circles around my stock C7 Z06 (wont be stock for long!).

The easiest way to compare the 2 is that you dont know what you are missing until you get in and drive the C7. I LOVE my 2008. It truly is classified as 'my baby' if you ask those around me. But the C7 has advanced so much in a number of areas that it makes the most sense if you are in your position and money isn't the concern.

If it was 1 or the other for me, I wouldnt have purchased my Z06. Taking nothing away from the C7, I have so much blood sweat and tears in the C6 to let it go.

So.....just buy the C7 and keep your C6. I am a lot of help to you right now ha

Last edited by shootincyclone; 07-20-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:46 PM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

I might go with the C7 on this one. Either way, you can get loads of fun big time.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Went and drove a GS today following the Z06 yesterday. The improvements in the options and interior are impossible to argue.

Looking at the cars, the numbers and after a long ride home in my C6 I think I'll stick with the C6. Nothing against the C7 at all, it is an amazing ride. I guess I've become comfortable with my old C6 friend.

I do want to say a sincere thank you for the community including some PM's for honest and non-biased input!

/r

Allen
Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Went and drove a GS today following the Z06 yesterday. The improvements in the options and interior are impossible to argue.

Looking at the cars, the numbers and after a long ride home in my C6 I think I'll stick with the C6. Nothing against the C7 at all, it is an amazing ride. I guess I've become comfortable with my old C6 friend.

I do want to say a sincere thank you for the community including some PM's for honest and non-biased input!

/r

Allen
It's hard to argue against keeping a low mileage car that you're happy with.
Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Allen_B (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

My used, 4K mile 2012 Base 1LT 6M Cyber Gray Metallic was my first ever Corvette. I daily drove it for 2 years. That experience forever changed me. I do not think I'll ever be able to live without a Corvette again.

When the C7 came out, I thought it was a gorgeous car. In fact, I bought my spouse one! But, I also thought the C6 was every bit as fantastic, and it took me until this year, to finally decide to buy one for myself.

I've put 10K miles on my C7, Z51, manual, 3LT. The difference between the C6 and the C7 is so vast that it's dumbfounding. If you can afford the C7, I HIGHLY recommend making the change.

For some $ savings, you can look for a lightly used (I bought mine with 1300 miles on it), or non-GS. Also it's pretty likely that the annual end-of year, up to 20% discounts will be coming up.

Good luck whatever your decision!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harmonyp
My used, 4K mile 2012 Base 1LT 6M Cyber Gray Metallic was my first ever Corvette. I daily drove it for 2 years. That experience forever changed me. I do not think I'll ever be able to live without a Corvette again.

When the C7 came out, I thought it was a gorgeous car. In fact, I bought my spouse one! But, I also thought the C6 was every bit as fantastic, and it took me until this year, to finally decide to buy one for myself.

I've put 10K miles on my C7, Z51, manual, 3LT. The difference between the C6 and the C7 is so vast that it's dumbfounding. If you can afford the C7, I HIGHLY recommend making the change.

For some $ savings, you can look for a lightly used (I bought mine with 1300 miles on it), or non-GS. Also it's pretty likely that the annual end-of year, up to 20% discounts will be coming up.

Good luck whatever your decision!
While I admit that the expense of a new C7, how I "want" it is a factor, but less than I thought. My local dealership (Winegardner Chevy in Ft. Washington MD for the record, give Lola a call) found the "perfect" car for me based on what I want- a convertible Grand Sport in the exact color combos and equipment I want. I honestly couldn't go down a check-list and build it better other than maybe the Z07 package that I don't think I'd actually opt for- My preference is more the cruiser/touring versus track capability. The car is waiting for me to give the go-ahead to bring it in. I can afford it (SWMBO would argue, but I digress) but realized that's not the decider.

The drive home from the dealership cemented the decision for me. I like and respect the C7 but I feel more "at home" in my poor old C6. It is something intangible but has a lot to do with how the car just fits. I didn't realize that until driving both vehicles back-to-back. The little things I miss in my current car option and power wise are easily corrected thanks to great support. I can add HUD, update the sound system to better than factory new and tweak performance which are the only things wanting in my current car.

At the end of the day, I just feel much more "comfortable" in the C6 both with the ride and the interior setup than the C7 and can't explain why. As I willingly conceded, the C7 interior quality is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the C6 but the ergonomics and ride just feel better to "me". I can honestly say that, money be damned. Guess that's why Baskin Robbins made 31 flavors!

I will never "crap" on a C7 in any form, they are impressive and beautiful machines but I think I will keep my C6. Maybe until the C8 comes out....

/r

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 07-21-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

^^^If you're happy with the C6, there really is no sense in getting a C7. The C6 is a great car too.

I am like you in that I like all kinds of cars too and have a '69 Z/28. The new 6th gen camaro is way nicer than my old '69 Z/28, but my old Z/28 has character that can't be found, purchased, or modified into a new 6th gen Camaro, so why would I want to upgrade my 1st gen to a 6th gen? Oh, I don't want to and I'm ok with that. Of course this is a more extreme example versus comparing a C6 to a C7, but the premise is the same. Enjoy the heck out of that C6, just drop in an LS7 and you'll be set...can't get one of those in a C7 (unfortunately).

Last edited by lakemg; 07-21-2017 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Allen_B (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:13 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg

I am like you in that I like all kinds of cars too and have a '69 Z/28. The new 6th gen camaro is way nicer than my old '69 Z/28, but my old Z/28 has character that can't be found, purchased, or modified into a new 6th gen Camaro, so why would I want to upgrade my 1st gen to a 6th gen? .
Good point given that you've got your '69 Z/28. Pricing a replacement for the Chevelle SS 396 I had back in the day, my C7 actually was slightly less expensive, which complicates the decision. I went with C7.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Good point given that you've got your '69 Z/28. Pricing a replacement for the Chevelle SS 396 I had back in the day, my C7 actually was slightly less expensive, which complicates the decision. I went with C7.

Absolutely true...the prices are crazy for those old cars. My first car was a 2 door '69 Chevelle Malibu. Loved it until it got destroyed/rear ended so the '69 Chevelle still has a special place in my heart. Had I not already had the Z/28, I would have opted for something newer like the C6, C7 or new Camaro because I have to have something fun.

Last edited by lakemg; 07-21-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

There is no comparing the c6 to the c7 just as there is no comparing the C5 to the c6. I've had all three and each one was better than the last. I am no longer a Corvette owner as I'm currently driving a hellcat so my opinion is unbiased. Get the c7 ditch the c6 and you wont miss it for a minute. The only thing you may miss the manual transmission. I love the auto in my hellcat but a Corvette should be a manual in my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited by brooklync5; 07-21-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

As someone who has spent a lot of money modifying cars over the years, I would vote for buying a C7 versus modifying your C6. The modifications will improve your car, but the effect of the change will wear off quickly and it will feel like the same car, slightly improved, that you have been driving for 5 years. The next step after this happens is more mods or selling your C6 (losing a big chunk of the money you just invested in mods) and buying another car (C7 or otherwise). The "mod bug" can be a lot of fun, but is expensive.

If you prefer the C6 lines and aren't set on particular C7 features, consider buying a C6 ZR1 or a C6 427 convertible. I'm still a big fan of the C6. I owned 2 and still have my ZR1.

If you do go C7 and the $60k jump is too big, consider a used C7. I'll bet you can buy a used C7 Z06 convertible for less than a $60k differential.

Last edited by RobWilson; 07-21-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New ('17) C7 or modify a C6?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Since you're still hot for your C6 ( I had 3 of them, a 2006 Maggie supercharged A6, stock 2008 Z06 and a 2010 Maggie supercharged M6), if you want to have some ear to ear SH-- eating grin fun for cheap money, just slap a Maggie or Edelbrock supercharger on your C6 and let the good times roll. Just use a good shop to do the install ( I used Lingenfelter and can't say enough good things about them) and you'll have a blast. All in, it'll fit within your $15000 budget, and a helluva lot cheaper than a new GS you're looking at.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I’ve been down the car modding path more than a couple times. I would say go with the C7.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

My first Corvette was a 2007 C6 coupe, 3LT, M6, no Z-51, transparent roof. I purchased the car in April 2015 for $29K with 20,500 original one-owner miles from a local dealer (Healey Brothers in New Hampton, NY). I recall test driving the car and I swear to God I had made the mental decision to buy the car somewhere between third and fourth gears on the first acceleration out of the dealer parking lot. I had NEVER owned an American car, and here I was finding that this 8 year old American car was by far the best car I ever owned, an amazing combination of mind-blowing performance, luxurious comfort and practicality.

I too preferred the C6 styling for a long time, but the C7 started growing on me. One thing I liked is that every time I saw a C7 approaching me I always thought it was a more exotic car (Ferrari or Lambo) until at the last minute I could recognize it was a Corvette. I got this growing urge to trade up to the C7 styling be damned because I knew it would be a better car. So last Fall I shopped and shopped for a used car and they were all overpriced, unless they were in far flung places like California or Alabama. I was going to trade my old C6, I needed a dealer, and no I wasn't going to drive 300 miles to learn the dealer won't give me a deal that makes sense.

At the time I saw a lot of 2015 C7 2LT Z51 coupes with say 10K miles. Everybody was asking $52-$54K. Dealers were (and still are) discounting new Corvettes to the bone. Why would I pay $53K for a 2 year C7 when I could buy the exact same car brand new? I wouldn't, I bought the C7 new and got what I thought was reasonable trade value for my C6 ($20K, I also saved $1600 in sales tax, so net to me was probably closer to $22K). So that's all good, new car of my dreams, long warranty, etc.

Here's the thing: yeah, the new car is a lotta dough. I can't tell you what to do or what your experience would be. For me the superiority of the new car wasn't immediately apparent, I took a leap of faith based on the auto press and other Corvette owners. It took a week or two, but when it did reveal itself to me in layers, I realized what an astonishing leap the C7 is over the C6, in just about every way. In 40 years of following cars it might be the most astounding re-design of a car I've ever seen. Now the car is closer to a Ferrari than a Corvette, but GM did keep most of the things that made the C6 so easy to live with.

Oh yeah a funny thing happened to my perception of the styling. Now I PREFER the C7 to the C6 styling. Anyway, that's how it went for me.

By the way, this is how I'd rate Corvette styling from top to bottom over the generations:

1.) C2
2.) C1
3.) C7
4.) C6
5.) C5
6.) C3
7.) C4

I'm not a big C3 fan. And it's not so much that the C4 is a bad looking car, just a lot of competition from other Corvette generations. The worst looking Corvette is still usually the best looking car in the parking lot : ).

Oh yeah, price out a Z-51 and see if it makes it that much more affordable than the GS. The Z06 and GS cars eat tires like pez and ride too stiff, magnetic ride notwithstanding. Real world experience from local owners.

Last edited by patentcad; 07-22-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: New ('17) C7 or modify a C6?