Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill start assist questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

To definately have the hill assist function engaged, stop the car normally, release the brake and if the car drifts reapply the brake, hill hold assist will now be set. If the car does not drift hill hold is already set, reapply the brake, proceed normally. Hill hold assist will release within a few seconds after releasing your brakes. Amazingly the six speed automatic on my Colorado has hill hold assist and when engaged the DIC will inform you. Go figure!

Last edited by Larry/car; 07-24-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My ebrake releases if I leave it on and start to drive away. Most of the time HSA just prevents the car from rolling backwards and a normal start will cause it to release. However, there are times on very slight upgrades where HSA isn't even needed for the clue less clutch users. It feels like the rear brakes are locked and you can literally feel the car straining to over come them. That is when you get the stall if you aren't prepared to compensate for the sudden unexpected resistance.

Bill
Yes, I understand that's what you said, but my car simply does not do that.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Oddly our Denali 6 speed auto has hill hold.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:36 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Why would anyone need this useless safety option?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm pretty sure it doesn't engage at all on flat or downhill grades.[/QUOTE]

It does engage on downhill grades if reverse is selected.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The way to check HSA is to pull to a stop on a steep hill. Hold the brake and put the car in 1st gear, keep the clutch in and then release the brake. The car should not roll backwards for a few seconds. After a few seconds the HSA will release and the car will roll backwards.

The biggest problem I have had with HSA is sometimes it holds more than it needs to and if I am not paying attention I will stall the car because the brake holds to well. Mine activates even on slight grades. I am pretty sure HSA is a function of the ABS and base brake system Vs an eBrake function. When you are on a hill, with the brake pedal pushed and the car stopped the brake control module detects that condition and applies brake pressure to the rear brake calipers. Just like traction control does.

Bill
I am with Bill on this. My car definitely requires more gas throttle if the hill assist is on. I have driven manuals all my life and would really prefer to have the option to turn it off. It just catches you a little off guard since it is not always on at stops.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
Seriously? Even though you may be the world's best user of a clutch pedal in the world you can't figure out how HSA can be of value to some drivers?
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

As Bill noted above, I also have experienced the HA feature hold the brake longer than I expected and stalled the car. I noticed on my car, the steeper the incline, the longer it seems to hold the brake. Once you are accustomed to the feature, it becomes second nature and you forget about it.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

This is a very interesting thread . . . I know it's there, but on mine don't even notice it, and have never stalled the car. It was on my '08 BMW M3 M6 as well, and it felt exactly the same as on my C7.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-24-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Seriously? Even though you may be the world's best user of a clutch pedal in the world you can't figure out how HSA can be of value to some drivers?
Well HSA may be of value when it works always the same like for Foosh but for others, there is definite variation in throttle pedal effort where without HSA there would be no variation, and so for others HSA is of no value. It'd be great if drivers who find it of value can keep it on and drivers who find it of no value can keep it off.

Last edited by fumbling; 07-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Honestly, my life would be the same without it, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I cut my teeth on the streets of San Francisco in old-school manuals.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-24-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I agree and it helps my wife confidence. Doesn't bother me either if some idiot gets too tight to me on a hill.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I can see HSA being a good security blanket for a new manual driver, especially those who have shifting down but are intimidated by stopping on hills. On steep hills I catch the clutch before HSA kicks in and it makes no difference to me.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 07-24-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I find it useful. At first it took a little bit of getting used to because it's like you have another foot, not yours, and it's messing with your pedals! But the way I got over it was simply to convince myself I was on flat ground when I was on a steep hill with HSA. Slowly I got used to it and not it's no problem at all.

Some people always complain when they are something they are used to changes. Others adapt...
Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60

Our 1955 Studebaker had the hill holder function. Not much needed with its automatic transmission, but it worked fine, just like our (manual) Corvettes.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
1) It's standard on all M7s. The clutch pedal isn't on your build sheet either.
2) There is no display for engagement.
3) Find a dealer who is educated.

Are you sure it's really not working? I don't notice it all the time, but every time I'm on a steep grade, I do. I always wait at stop lights in neutral with the clutch pedal released. When I depress the clutch pedal, and release the brake, it's always there on any kind of noticeable uphill grade.
Right.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I can see HSA being a good security blanket for a new manual driver, especially those who have shifting down but are intimidated by stopping on hills. On steep hills I catch the clutch before HSA kicks in and it makes no difference to me.
If HSA is working correctly on your car you can't move the clutch fast enough to catch the car before it activates. HSA is a function of the ABS and is activated by brake pressure, clutch in, stopped car and the car sensing it is on a 5% or greater grade.

I decided to look it up in the Factory Service Manual and here is a copy of the manual's theory of operation describing hill start assist.

Notice that clutch position is an input if the car is equipped so that sort of indicates it works on automatics.

Notice that it also calculates how much brake pressure is needed to hold the car so it seems like the amount of brake pressure is variable depending on amount of grade the car is on. Using the base brakes will also provide more brake grip than the parking brake shoes would provide.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-24-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hill start assist questions...

Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

you might like this:

Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

The self-puffery of some people is loathsome - "I'm such a f'ing great manual driver that people who need it are stupid" or some similar asinine comment. Yeah, we know you are, hot rod.

Anyway, hill assist is a great feature that is totally transparent. For human beings who actually have the gall to make mistakes sometimes it is a nice safety net to guard against the bozos who pull right up to your back bumper on a hill.

If it's not engaging then I would say to check that you're in 1st gear. HA will only engage if you're completely stopped with foot on brake, clutch depressed, and in 1st. i.e., the normal status you'd be in when getting ready to go on a hill.
rrepp (04-17-2019)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

My "unpuffed" self agrees that HSA is a great feature, which will hopefully keep manuals alive a little longer by encouraging new-to-manual folks to try them without fear. That's a good thing. However, the fact of the matter is, for some, coordinating the clutch and throttle, without rolling back, has become as reflexive as breathing, based upon decades of experience.

I didn't hear anyone saying people who "needed" it were "stupid" or incompetent. There certainly was a time 4 decades ago, when I rolled back too. As I said above, it doesn't change my life one way or the other, and it certainly doesn't bother me at all that it's there.

Relax . . . we're all just sharing our collective experiences here. There's been a first time for everything for every human on the planet. Gaining experience is one of the great joys of life.
$$$frumnuttin' (07-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Hill start assist questions...