Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Foosh
These days, I'd rather purchase a "certified pre-owned" (CPO) low-mileage vehicle from a dealer. The savings are substantial, and I did the same in purchasing a C7. CPOs come w/ extra warranty, the dealer is supposed to ensure that the vehicle has not been abused or modified, and you also receive the complete history of the car in GMVIS. Carfax misses a lot of records.

One advantage that many don't think about is that a new car has no service history, but a pre-owned car does. If the CPO has a completely clean service record, with somewhere between 5-10K miles on it, that suggests there's a good chance it will be a trouble-free car for the foreseeable future.

New cars have no service history, and there are countless examples here of folks who have picked up new cars only to have them return to the dealer almost immediately w/ issues. I've had better luck w/ CPO cars, which have all been trouble-free, but have had to lemon-law two new vehicles.

With the substantial savings, you can then pick up a Chevrolet Protection Plan (GMEPP) extended warranty and still have extra money in your account.

Did the same thing, 2014 CPO Z51, M7, MRC, 2LT with only 4K on the clock. We bought a CPO Lexus this year. I like the extended warranty these cars have and saving substantially over new.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I was going to buy new. Started looking in late December of 2016 and spoke with MacMulkin, Kerbeck, etc. I also started looking at used ones, and one popped up that was exactly what I wanted in terms of color and options (right down to the interior color and wheel color). It was a 2016 (this was Feb) that had 2200 miles on it and was in showroom condition. I pulled the service records, checked on warranty, and the dealer gave me the history from the previous owner (older guy who traded in a Tahoe on his first Corvette, but was too scared to drive the car and traded it back in another new Tahoe).

I did the math, the used one was about $8K cheaper than Kerbeck and MacMulkin back in Jan/Feb. Even though the car had almost the full warranty left I figured for less than $2K I could get a GM extended warranty that was even better than new and still have $6K in my pocket. Using the local credit union the APR was very close to buying new.

I usually buy new, but with this car it made sense as it was my first Corvette and I figured if I did not like the car I could sell it within a year and not lose my shirt.

I have had zero regrets buying a barely used one. Do your diligence if you do and make sure you know the car's history.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by bradc6
I like new things.
I agree. Someone once explained (on another forum) why you should never buy a Demo (2 to 3k miles in service for a few months). It's an expensive hi dollar purchase, why would you not buy new for a few thousand more a mere 2 to 3%, to enjoy the best part of a newer vehicle?

they are right. Unless you're overreaching or cannot get that particular vehicle in that combination any longer (color or equipment changes etc).

I wish I didn't have the newness bug. Because buying a couple year old 1k mile C7 is definitely a big saver. But buying at the right time (97k sticker paying 20k less) is the next best thing ).

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Nothing wrong w/ buying a lightly used low mileage car. Just be sure you check that sales price on the used C7 vs. one of the forum dealers prices on a discounted new car. Often times it may only be a couple of thou$and diff for a brand new (ordered to your specification) car.
The following users liked this post:
dbintegrity (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Many times (95 out a 100) I've seen used cars priced so closely to new or in some cases after rebates and discounts more than new... be an informed shopper !!
Emil Hajric (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I agree. Someone once explained (on another forum) why you should never buy a Demo (2 to 3k miles in service for a few months). It's an expensive hi dollar purchase, why would you not buy new for a few thousand more a mere 2 to 3%, to enjoy the best part of a newer vehicle?

they are right. Unless you're overreaching or cannot get that particular vehicle in that combination any longer (color or equipment changes etc).

I wish I didn't have the newness bug. Because buying a couple year old 1k mile C7 is definitely a big saver. But buying at the right time (97k sticker paying 20k less) is the next best thing ).
I saved a lot more than 2-3% buying used vs new. If that is all you are going to save then I agree with buying new. But if you can save another 10-12% on top of the lowest vendor price, on a less than 1 year old car with low mileage on it then it is worth looking into.

Also people need to understand the art of negotiation. Most used ones have a good $4-5K+ in negotiation depending on how they are priced. Buying used is a whole different ball game than buying new. Look at Cargurus, etc and look for the used ones that have been sitting 3+ months. Some dealers price them right, but most mark them up leaving room for negotiation or hoping someone will pay full price.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
What are "non-actual" miles? What other kinds of miles are there?
LOL... guess my NCRS experiences show through.... since you asked, "actual" miles kinda goes like this....

Advertised/claimed miles = What a seller advertises and represents to be the number of miles on a car. In older cars, it was very commonplace for folks and dealers to "roll back" or swap out the odometer to sell a high mileage vehicle to an unsuspecting buyer as a low mileage "Cream puff".... at a higher cost of course!

Actual miles = Once a buyer or judge looked at things like maint. records, title(s), parts condition etc. you could determine that the claimed miles agreed (or didn't) with the "indicated" miles. At that point you could more safely call them actual miles.

When buying a vehicle I always make certain that odometer readings jive with maint. records, title, wear on tires etc. Once satisfied, I can confidently represent them as "actual miles".

Fakes were historically more common and more easily pulled off in the past. Today with VIN maint. tracking and electronic odometers it is harder to pass off a hi mile car as a low one, but in the NCRS channel we come across fake stuff more than you could imagine. Miles turned back, non-original engine "swaps" to increase the value of the vehicle (e.g. HP engine in place of base motor, "rare" options that were not original, "matching numbers").... witness that there are more big block C2s in existence today than were ever built by Chevy, thanks to folks passing them off on unsuspecting buyers to gain huge increases of value. Same is true for Hemi Cudas!!! Even Barrett Jackson found fake stuff coming across their blocks and have largely changed to a "buyer beware" policy. Some are clearly labeled as "Tribute Cars" while other fakes are peddled as if they were genuine.

I was elated and relieved that all that was claimed about the 2015 I bought on the internet from >1,000 miles away turned out to be what was advertised vs. "too good to be true'..... now I can say with confidence it had 6K ACTUAL miles..... smile...LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 07-25-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, the absolute best ad I've ever seen was for the Aston Martin CPO program - it showed a smoking hot lady in short skirt and heels posing provocatively on the car, and the caption read, "you wouldn't be her "first" either, but does it matter?

Last edited by Jimbob26; 07-25-2017 at 10:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimbob26:
Foosh (07-25-2017), lennykoll (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Well, the absolute best ad I've ever seen was for the Aston Martin CPO program - it showed a smoking hot lady in short skirt and heels posing provocatively on the car, and the caption read, "you wouldn't be her "first" either, but does it matter?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

That was indeed brilliant!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

You do know that ad was fake. Right? But it is quite good!
Aston Martin confirms, its sexy ad is a fake

Aston Martin has confirmed that the ad which shows a semi-naked woman with one knee raised up to the kitchen counter seemingly cooking something is a fake.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I have no issue buying used and in fact, prefer it. However in 2016 when I was ready for a C7, there were options that I wanted that just became available such as the front cameras and Apple Car Play and used 2014 and 2015 vettes were still selling at a price close to used. At that point, it didn't make sense not to buy new. At this point in the C7's time line, it makes perfect sense if you can pick up a 2 year old 2016 for $18k+ off the equivalent 2018 unless of course, money is no object...then purchase new.

Last edited by direct007; 07-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

I only ever bought one "brand new" car in my life, and took a bath on it. Ever since, I have found lightly used cars that saved me 1000's, got me options I wouldn't have spent extra for, and have generally been great values. I "almost" bought my C7 Stingray new, but at the last minute I found an 1800 mile used one with way more options that I was going to order on my new one, and priced much less. No regrets, and if I ever trade it, it'll be on another lightly used GS. Trouble is, I want a blue one with red interior and M7... so finding exactly what I want in a pre-owned car will be tough, but they're out there.
Foosh (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I saw a car with 600 miles go through an auction go for $20K under sticker.
Problem is, most of us can't buy cars at wholesale auctions. So that $20K under sticker car was retailed on a lot for $10K under sticker. And depending on option packages, you might do that good on a new one.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dsandula
I realize this is probably the biggest "it depends" question on this forum, but . . .

Depends on what you want. If you don't mind buying "off the rack" then used is fine. The used cars we looked at in Houston were all very low mileage.

What we wanted, NRB/LT3/Z51/full silver stripes, wasn't common/popular so we ordered. NRB has been discontinued.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Found exactly what I wanted, with 9,000 miles, 1 year old, close by, over $10k cheaper than any other similar one in the US, and the A8 trans had already been replaced (at 253 miles).
Old 07-25-2017, 03:03 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Used 2016 Z51 3LT A8 ~6k ODO

Paid $20k less than if I'd bought it new.

The previous owner also owns a Chevy Dealership in a small town about 1.5 hours from where I live. The dealership sells trucks and SUVs - Corvettes are NOT where they make their money, but they keep a couple around in the showroom for...reasons.

Service records were good. No warranty blocks. Still smells brand new.

Couldn't be happier.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Not Buy Used?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 PM
macdizzle
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Within 3-4 years, buy new. price is too close not to.

older than that. Plenty of these old bastards have a garage queen they'd like to sell
Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Honestly, from a financial standpoint buying new is crazy. I mean you can't beat used. However cars are not a rational purchase. My reason for always wanting new....

Farts.

I really don't like it when someone else has "farted" in my seat. And by that I mean in general has used a car. But I have resorted to buying used, my GTO was used, and it was a decent car.

If you do your homework (and this is CRITICAL), you really can't go wrong with used.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 07-31-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
You do know that ad was fake. Right? But it is quite good!
Aston Martin confirms, its sexy ad is a fake

Aston Martin has confirmed that the ad which shows a semi-naked woman with one knee raised up to the kitchen counter seemingly cooking something is a fake.
This is the one:

Quick Reply: Why Not Buy Used?