Sponsored by:

iPod vs SD card

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 AM
JaxC7
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock
Agree and I'm in north Georgia. However I have (and recommended you all) back up the USB somewhere like your laptop.

I do all my MP3 work on my PC and then copy the files to the USB drive for my car and a second USB drive for my wife's van. My working directory on my PC is the main storage and the USB is only the portable version.

Last edited by JaxC7; 07-26-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxC7
USB Stick here... SanDisk Cruzer 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
It holds thousands of MP3 files and resides in the behind the dash USB port. I only take it out to add new content to it. So far I've had no issues with it in the dash out in the Florida sun. Heat doesn't seem to bother it.
i'll trade you a copy of my 8gig music stick for a copy of yours.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM
JaxC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
i'll trade you a copy of my 8gig music stick for a copy of yours.
Well, I do see we're in the same home town!
The following users liked this post:
kitesurfer (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Well, I do see we're in the same home town!
I checked your profile. we're also in the same Zip code. small world
Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I use my iPhone with Spotify and can play anything I want at any time. Unfortunately I do not have Apple Play in my 15 and have to use my phone to change artists/albums.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Mike1320
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
I use one of these short USB, loaded with thousands of songs, & won't get in the way...

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDri...hub%2Busb&th=1
One for each car w/~3,500 songs. Works great.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I use my iPhone with Spotify and can play anything I want at any time. Unfortunately I do not have Apple Play in my 15 and have to use my phone to change artists/albums.
Great, but doesn't help the OP who wants to use an SD card
Old 07-26-2017, 01:07 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
I use one of these short USB, loaded with thousands of songs, & won't get in the way...

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDri...hub%2Busb&th=1

Same here. It works great. Also use on in my boat and other cars!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Meteorlady
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
So in the 2015 you can just stick an SD card in the console slot for audio files. I think they removed it for later years, if I'm not mistaken.

Is there any downside to using an SD card rather than a full device like an iPod? Do you lose any functionality like playlists and so on? Anything else I've not thought of?

Now that Apple Music makes iTunes hard to sync an iPod, I'm thinking maybe I should just be doing an "xcopy" of my music to a card rather than disabling Apple Music, syncing iPod, turning Apple Music back on, all of that.

But I'm not sure what the feature differences are between an iPod and an SD card (or USB stick for that matter). Anyone happen to know if there are downsides?
the iPod doesn't work well at all in the 2017. It worked flawlessly in the 2012 but has gotten progressively worse as the years go on. My iPod was working in the 2017 for 2 days then "Shuffle" stuck "ON" and it played every song on the iPod in order. When we went to settings and touched the "Shuffle" it just beeped and stayed 'ON". So today the iPod is stuck playing one song, shuffle is still ON and GM sucks. I really don't want to make a new SD card, I just want to use the playlists and songs I already have on my iPod - is that so hard to do? Evidently GM doesn't really care because I worked my way through the bureaucracy when I had the 2015 and got no where other than they told me it didn't work even though it was in the car's manual that it did. So not it's even worse than before - I pay BIG bucks for a Corvette Z06 and this is what they dish out - no fixes.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Meteorlady
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do all my MP3 work on my PC and then copy the files to the USB drive for my car and a second USB drive for my wife's van. My working directory on my PC is the main storage and the USB is only the portable version.
So why can't I just use my iPOD? Is that so hard? It has playlists that I worked hard to create and now they are useless to me since the 2017 won't work well with an iPod. Sucks....
Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 PM
MWHITED
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had the same experience with my '17. It worked great in my 2013, but mine also gets "stuck" and will not shuffle all the music. It seems like it will only shuffle 20 or 30 songs, unless you go back to the list and start in another place in the music file.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by MWHITED
I've had the same experience with my '17. It worked great in my 2013, but mine also gets "stuck" and will not shuffle all the music. It seems like it will only shuffle 20 or 30 songs, unless you go back to the list and start in another place in the music file.
I feel your pain. I continue to have issues with my ipod working in my Stingray. I would like to move all my music to a stick but don't know how. I don't have an Apple computer and haven't found an easy way to do it with a PC.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Meteorlady
the iPod doesn't work well at all in the 2017. It worked flawlessly in the 2012 but has gotten progressively worse as the years go on.
In all due respect, could it be your IPod? Reading correctly, it is at least five years old. I've had a few IPods give up the ghost in odd ways having nothing to do with car-connections.

I have a two year old IPod. I've used it in my '16 extensively with no issues. Two 4000 mile road trips, and no hick-ups, with one exception. Sometime it takes the infotainment unit a few minutes to recognize the IPod when I first plug it in.

I love the memory stick option. Use it all the time around town, or short drives. However, agree with you. The IPod does allow me to create and enjoy more options on road trips.

Hope you get it solved.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:47 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I've been trying to use Export for iTunes to get my music onto a thumb drive and the songs transfer just fine. Only problem I have is I'm obviously an idiot, because I can't get my playlists to work. Until I sit down and figure out how to get my thumb drive to look like my iPod (playlists and sorting), I'll keep the iPod plugged in.

Mike
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 AM
JaxC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcoomer
I've been trying to use Export for iTunes to get my music onto a thumb drive and the songs transfer just fine. Only problem I have is I'm obviously an idiot, because I can't get my playlists to work. Until I sit down and figure out how to get my thumb drive to look like my iPod (playlists and sorting), I'll keep the iPod plugged in.
When exporting playlists from iTunes to use on an USB stick, you need to export them as M3U files versus XML. M3U is the industry standard playlist format. The XML export type is used if you subsequently want to import the playlist to another iTunes instance but it won't work in the car.

So, once you export your playlists in M3U format, copy them to the root (top level) of your USB drive. You then have to edit them using notepad or another text editor to make sure the paths to the files in the playlists represent the file and folder structure on your USB drive. If your USB drive has files in folders like:

Artist
--- Album
--- --- files.mp3
--- Album
--- --- files.mp3
Artist
--- Album
--- --- files.mp3
--- Album
--- --- files.mp3

The entries in the playlist M3U files need to be: artist\album\file.mp3

Note that the entries don't have a drive letter or leading '\' character.

Last edited by JaxC7; 11-07-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Default Using iTunes to create Stingray Playlists

If you have some computer skills attached is the step by step process to use iTunes to create Stingray Playlists.
Attached Images
Old 11-07-2017, 08:47 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Dear lord, you all must be deaf. Music streaming from a phone? The only thing that will sound worse is streaming via bluetooth.... Talk about lousy quality.

Don't believe me? GO ahead and play an actual (good quality, not a cheap Compilation of the best of....? digitized by a pair of rocks...lol) CD Not mp3, no lossless... Play that through the aux in... Then listen to the same song off your phone, or Ipod... Switch between the two... Completely different sounds.... I really miss cd's. Yes they were a hassle, but...

If you listen to music with your earbuds... Never mind, you've already lost. There's an entire generation that doesn't know what good sound sounds like... It's a shame.

Get notified of new replies

To iPod vs SD card

Old 11-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Dear lord, you all must be deaf. Music streaming from a phone? The only thing that will sound worse is streaming via bluetooth.... Talk about lousy quality.

Don't believe me? GO ahead and play an actual (good quality, not a cheap Compilation of the best of....? digitized by a pair of rocks...lol) CD Not mp3, no lossless... Play that through the aux in... Then listen to the same song off your phone, or Ipod... Switch between the two... Completely different sounds.... I really miss cd's. Yes they were a hassle, but...

If you listen to music with your earbuds... Never mind, you've already lost. There's an entire generation that doesn't know what good sound sounds like... It's a shame.
This is why I still have an extensive vinyl collection at home.
It's become a matter of convenience instead of quality to most.
In the car it really doesn't matter that much to me cause of the noise and cabin size.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM
JaxC7
Instructor

What I listen to in my car is just rips of my much more extensive music library at home. I like my tunes in my car while I'm out driving, but I'm under no misconception about the quality of the listening environment there (or just about any vehicle for that matter). That's not to say that I don't try to get the best quality I can given the environment. I don't stream music over Bluetooth or Apple Play, but I'm happy enough with the quality I get from high bit rate MP3 files on a USB stick.

Edit: I do really wish the system would play FLAC files...

Last edited by JaxC7; 11-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

I've had no problems moving my Itunes music to a USB stick for my Vette. The only problem i have is that the Playlists I create get duplicated every time i update the stick with new music. Even playlists i have deleted are still there in the Vette. I've tried reformating the stick and starting new but the problem is still there. Have not figured out a way to clear the memory in the vette.

Quick Reply: iPod vs SD card