Sponsored by:

Seat cover pulling loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Coastrider
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat cover pulling loose

I was removing my coupe's roof today when I noticed that the leather cover of my driver's seat backrest had pulled completely loose from the plastic frame of the seat! I don think it's damaged, but I've never had this happen to any car I've owned. I made an appointment with Kerbeck for tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Got a picture? I'm not following, exactly.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM
fpcopo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastrider
I was removing my coupe's roof today when I noticed that the leather cover of my driver's seat backrest had pulled completely loose from the plastic frame of the seat! I don think it's damaged, but I've never had this happen to any car I've owned. I made an appointment with Kerbeck for tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Mine has 840 miles and I just noticed it pulled loose about 2 inches right by the air bag. I tried to tuck it in but it won't stay. I hate to bring it to the dealer. Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see if it gets fixed correctly and how they do it. Here is a bad photo of mine.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That sucks, but I guess it happens. Hopefully they will fix it with no issue.

My spoiler came off on passenger side and peeled the paint. Took it ito dealer they fixed and repainted. Told me factory never installed the bolts...I always wonder what other bolts were missed....

16 k on car and no other issues, so good luck.
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Coastrider
Intermediate

So I brought it in today. The service manager took photos, and said he has to go through the factory rep for authorization. They will call me tomorrow with the answer. He said it will need an entire new seat cover.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

So I brought it in today. The service manager took photos, and said he has to go through the factory rep for authorization. They will call me tomorrow with the answer. He said it will need an entire new seat cover.
HOLY S**T! You been letting the Great Dane play in the car? Seriously, I feel your pain.
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:25 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You seem to have really bad bolster wear, as well.

What are you carrying in your left rear pocket? How do you get in and out?

How many miles do you have?

Yikes!
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
Avanti (01-15-2019), Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
You seem to have really bad bolster wear, as well.

What are you carrying in your left rear pocket? How do you get in and out?

How many miles do you have?

Yikes!
Really am not blaming OP, but after your post I went back to look at wear on seat/bolster & it appears there is a seat belt extender attached by console (perhaps it is one of those bypass connectors to fool car you have seat belt fastened). If it is an extender-Just saying. There is a way to enter car & minimize wear-see other posts on this.

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-27-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Coastrider
Intermediate

That is a seat belt extender. I'm not a small guy, but the extender is only there because it was free and makes it easier to engage the belt latch. The car is coming up on 9K. I usually carry my wallet in my left hip pocket. I enter by placing my right foot in, slipping into the seat, and lifting my left leg in. I've never had wear, damage, or even a scuff on any other cars with leather seats. It might have been getting worse for days or even weeks, as my exit position is full back, and in that position the damage is hidden by the pillar. I imagine that once an inch or two comes loose it's all over. I only noticed it because I happened to leave it running when I got out to remove the roof. I'll try to find a way to enter that's easier on the leather after it's repaired, but seriously, the leather seat in a 70K car should last longer than a year!

Last edited by Coastrider; 07-27-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I usually carry my wallet in my left hip pocket. I enter by placing my right foot in, slipping into the seat, and lifting my left leg in. I've never had wear, damage, or even a scuff on any other cars with leather seats. It might have been getting worse for days or even weeks, as my exit position is full back, and in that position the damage is hidden by the pillar. I imagine that once an inch or two comes loose it's all over. I only noticed it because I happened to leave it running when I got out to remove the roof.

Getting into (and out of ) Corvettes is not like any other car out there, so what may have worked for other cars does not work for this car.

Your entry position is contributing to this greatly. On this car (the C7 particularly because of the exaggerated bolsters), you must "sit and swivel." Meaning you must sit on the seat facing left, and lift both feet and swivel into position. Yes, this is how we girls were taught to enter and exit a car, but in this case, sex has nothing to do with it. It really is the only way to minimize any possible wear.
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Your size may contribute as well, and the position of the belt with the extender when entering and exiting is not helping. The belt position corresponds with where the piping has broken.

At any rate, the bolster should not be showing that kind of wear at 9K, regardless.

Good luck with the warranty repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
Avanti (01-15-2019), Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Coastrider
Intermediate

I just heard from Kerbeck. The rep's review of the photos shows wear from sliding over the bolster but, as good will gesture" and "because I spent a lot of money", they will replace the seat cover once at no charge. Any subsequent problem will be on me.

Kerbeck's personnel have been very helpful and sympathetic to my problem, and I can't blame them for a design issue. While I appreciate the gesture and understand that, from a business point of view, they can't replace seat covers time and again on the same vehicle, I can't help but feel that the design is as much at fault (or more) than I am. Nobody warned me of this issue at the time of purchase, and even with extensive research on the car I found no mention of it.

I can easily envision a design that is one piece, continues under the plastic shell, and is connected to both sides of the leather to absorb the strain. The design as it is is exceptionally prone to failure if you don't use the entry technique that was pointed out to me in this thread.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I'll certainly modify my entry and exit style, and will remove the extenders on both sides. My wife is very slim, but she's agreed to use the new technique too.

If this happens again on my dime I may be forced to reconsider if this is the car for me, despite how much I love it. It's my daily driver, but as a dedicated sports car it's a little fussy for that purpose. I'm already out the cost of a set of all season tires, as I live in the northeast.

Last edited by Coastrider; 07-28-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Getting into (and out of ) Corvettes is not like any other car out there, so what may have worked for other cars does not work for this car.

Your entry position is contributing to this greatly. On this car (the C7 particularly because of the exaggerated bolsters), you must "sit and swivel." Meaning you must sit on the seat facing left, and lift both feet and swivel into position. Yes, this is how we girls were taught to enter and exit a car, but in this case, sex has nothing to do with it. It really is the only way to minimize any possible wear.
This has been true of any Corvette since the 84 model came out. People get bolster wear and complain about bad leather but the problem is no leather except tough boot leather that will stand up to the abuse the bolster gets when people rub their butts on it getting into the car.

When people ride in my car I make sure they always get in the car properly. I had my C6Z in for some service about a week after the dealership had replaced the driver's seat back skin because of a worn bolster from the prior owner. As I was talking to the Service Writer I saw the car jockey getting into the car, I tried yelling to stop him but he got in wrong and ruined the new skin with one sit down. They replace it again.

Bill
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

The photo taken of the top of the seat. Do you have black leather or suede?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:58 PM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

I had same issue 2016 z06.....I'm not a large man either. Took to dealer last week....plastic retention clip was broken.....overnighted part and fixed following day. I am very **** and was worried of loose fabric but it came back better and tighter than the passenger side. Easy fix....you'll be fine!
Coastrider (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Coastrider
Intermediate

Had2hav2, its black leather.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:33 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Hope the dealer fixes your seat. I've driven 3 Corvettes over 89,000 miles and have never seen damage like that.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cover pulling loose

Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

While you guys and gals are on this subject, can you please look at my issue? This is my second side airbag cover. My wife's side is perfect, sits in place as it's supposed to. Driver side, my seat, the top of the cover keeps popping out. The opening on the seat for that top tab is in perfect shape, no issues. Any have any experience with this?
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I just went and looked, and my (driver's) side is perfect, my husband's side is a little loose, but no clip is visible.

They were a little dusty, however.

LT4CMG (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Always love your witty remarks owc6
owc6 (07-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Seat cover pulling loose