Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter or Vitesse Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm waiting on my Ported Throttle Body from Tony Mamo and my Cold Air Intake from forum member Rooster to see how that effects my lag....

Am very interested in the Vitesse system though.....little nervous about it as well....

Dont mind my factory shifter at all......
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The reality is that the shifter is just a stick, with either a spherical bearing or a trunion design bearing, so the main variable is where to put the pivot point.
The stock shifter really does function just as well as the aftermarket shifters. I mainly got the Hurst shifter because I like the old school styling of the rectangular chrome stick and round ball.

Even the MGW has some design features I do not really like, for example they replace the lower box with an open bottom rather than an enclosed box to keep out debris like the stock box.
Another reason I just changed out the top part of the shifter, and it works fine.
Precisely, if you want a shorter throw, it's a simple matter to find a shift **** which lowers the height on the OEM shifter shaft. As I've said before, I've had MGW shifters before, and they are nice pieces, but are no better in this case than what comes in the C7.

I think what we have here is another case of placebo effect. If you spend a lot of money on something, and go to the effort of installing it, you're pretty much guaranteed to think its a big improvement. Of course, there are always exceptions to that principle.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:15 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Precisely, if you want a shorter throw, it's a simple matter to find a shift **** which lowers the height on the OEM shifter shaft. As I've said before, I've had MGW shifters before, and they are nice pieces, but are no better in this case than what comes in the C7.

I think what we have here is another case of placebo effect. If you spend a lot of money on something, and go to the effort of installing it, you're pretty much guaranteed to think its a big improvement. Of course, there are always exceptions that principle.
I could understand your theory... and many times that placebo theory is correct.... however its hard to deny the fact that finding gates 4to5 and 5to6 up and down has become much easier than with the original shifter, which at times has actually frustrated me.

Last edited by dbintegrity; 08-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Slwwhite
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i installed the mgw shifter on mine just because it gives the shifting more "feel" to it and i had a problem getting use to the oem shifter fully engaging 1st gear. other then that i think the oem shifter is not so bad...and the lag does kind of suck
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbintegrity
I could understand your theory... and many times that placebo theory is correct.... however its hard to deny the fact that finding gates 4to5 and 5to6 up and down has become much easier than with the original shifter, which at times has actually frustrated me.
While I've never had any trouble finding 4-5 or 5-6 at the stock shifter height, shortening the throw from the OEM 5" above the console to 3.5" above the console significantly shortens the throw reducing the distance one needs to go.

That's exactly what I did w/ a weighted ****, and the extra mass reduces the effort. It's fundamentally the same thing the MGW does, but it can be done w/ the stock shifter for less than $100, and without taking your console apart.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dbintegrity (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Jacob
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 93 Posts

Best single mod to the Z06 so far:

Jacob
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 907 Likes on 372 Posts

FWIW the Vitesse does nothing to actually improve the engines ability to process more air. Peak power and torque has not changed at all.

A ported TB adds about a 100 CFM that your hungry blower can grab and process into more power and torque (12-15 at the tires).

You still get the benefit of eliminating the lag with the ported TB and dramatically enhancing the throttle response but you also get a big perk of making a bunch more power with the added airflow the better shaped more streamlined TB provides. I have helped a few guys that have swapped out there Vitesse with my ported TB and all of them liked the TB better as there were real power gains in addition to all their other issues being resolved. Its a much better allocation of your modding money

Im a fan of MGW shifters also (installed one in my C6Z)....the right answer is to buy both....a ported TB and a shifter.....it's peanuts when you consider the cost of the car your considering modding

If your interested in the TB, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it in more detail. There are countless dozens of happy customers on this forum I have helped if you search (assuming your unfamiliar with this mod)

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-02-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

MGW all day long! The shifting is greatly improved and it looks awesome.

I am not a fan of the throttle controllers as they do absolutely nothing for performance and 9 times out of 10 they cause issues at some point. If you want to improve throttle response get a factory CNC ported VMAX throttle body.

Kind regards,
Old 08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Agree, the MGW was an enhancement in the C6Z, and I did that MGW upgrade. However, the C7 OEM shifter is way better, and as I said above it's easy to shorten the throw of the OEM, which I'm totally happy with now that I've done that.

I also agree with your observations on the Vitesse. It just changes how much and how sensitive the throttle pedal is, thus how much one has to push to get the desired power level. Some folks seem think there's more power there because they barely have to touch the throttle before something happens. There isn't more.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-02-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Foosh, can you hook us up with the link to your short shifter pls? I wanna check it out.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Foosh, can you hook us up with the link to your short shifter pls? I wanna check it out.
He is using the stock shifter... All he did was install a custom **** that threads down lower on the stick, thus reducing the throw by effectively shortening the stick rather than changing the pivot point.

Check here for the metal ****

https://www.twmperformance.com/shift...e-r-shift-****

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-02-2017 at 11:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It's also weighted, 1.3 lbs. to be exact. The height was reduced from 5" (OEM) to 3.5", which results in a significantly shorter throw. The mass of the **** compensates for any extra effort inherent in a shorter lever throw. The shorter the throw, the more precision in hitting the gates, much like aiming at a target from a shorter distance.

That's basically pretty much what all shorter than OEM shifters are accomplishing, but this allows you to do it in 5-10 minutes for a lot less money.

It's just geometry and physics . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 08-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 481 Posts

I had the Vitesse on my M7 and hated it. While the idea was good, the throttle tip in was underivable over a setting of 2. Think of a 16 yr old who always gave too much gas and massaged the throttle while coasting along. The Vitesse went from 0 to 15 or 20% throttle which was extremely annoying. I sold mine.

I installed an MGW last week and I'm quite pleased. I found the stock shifter to be generally fine. But after experiencing the MGW, I'm sold on it. More crisp shifting and 5/6/7 are easy to feel and find.

No brainer. MGW is the right choice here.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter or Vitesse Throttle Controller