Sponsored by:

ARM question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:06 PM
super99
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ARM question

I've been driving manuals for more than 40 years, but my C7 is the first with active rev matching. Even with lots of experience, I find that ARM can consistently better-match revs for smoother shifts than I'm able to do. So I use ARM nearly all the time now.

However, it has required some retraining of my right foot to stay off the pedal during shifts. It seems that ARM is defeated with even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal.

With ARM, I can usually execute perfect rev-matched shifts as long as I think about it and stay off the gas, especially with normal, unhurried starts. But when I get on it hard, my 1-2 shift is sometimes jerky. So am I asking too much of the ARM system to properly rev-match with a quick 1-2 shift from higher RPM? Or am I more likely still hitting that gas pedal or getting back on it too soon during the shift? Or perhaps just poor timing on my part. Old habits die hard.

I don't seem to have any problem with downshifts.

Thoughts?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I watched an instructor in a Z06 at Spring Mtn rip off several quick shifts getting rubber in first 3. I do know the students use active rev match but not sure if the instructor turned it off. I also took a video of the run so hope the link works
View this post on Instagram

(Which it didn't).
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by vbdenny; 08-04-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:42 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

I can watch that awesome z06 burnout on a loop all day, love it and I'm not complaining, but what am I watching for? Was he using the no lift shift?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:54 PM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I could be wrong, but that sure looks like an auto trans to me. The slight jump right before he took off gives it away (just wasn't on the break heavy enough in launch control).

Plus, I don't think any shifts a manual quite that quick (even though I've been to Spring Mountain and I know those guys are good!).

That being said I find myself driving around with ARM on all the time too. Sometimes I forget to turn it on for the first couple shifts and when it doesn't match it makes me appreciate how good it is even more!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:09 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't experience much, if anything, from ARM on up-shifts. I don't think it's supposed to do anything 'cept match the RPMs and in an up-shift situation it shouldn't do much.

On downshift it's much more noticeable. I guess you could test if giving it any gas effects ARM. Simply have ARM on, downshift but do not let go of the clutch. With ARM on the engine should rev and the RPMs should race to the point where it should be, given the gear you downshifted to, and hold there. Now tap the gas. If the RPM hold then tapping the gas does nothing. If the RPM just drop then your theory is correct.

Get notified of new replies

To ARM question

Quick Reply: ARM question