Sponsored by:

New Member - Factory Ground Effects Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Member - Factory Ground Effects Question

Hello all, new member here from north of the boarder . I've been monitoring the C7 General Forum for a year or so in anticipation of purchasing a new, 2018 Stingray base model. I plan on ordering in the fall for delivery in April / May.

First off, I'd like to thank the regular contributing forum members, moderators and supporting vendors for the invaluable advice and information that has been provided here. I've learned more from this forum than from all other sources combined.

My question relates to the 2 factory ground effects packages that are listed in the GM Build & Price Guide as well as the 2018 Order Guide.
CFZ (RPO) is described as "Carbon Flash-painted splitter and rockers, and more aggressive rear spoiler". 5W8 (LPO) is described as "Carbon Flash Ground Effects. Genuine Corvette Accessory. This option features: Rocker panel extensions. Requires (5ZW) Z06-style Carbon Flash spoiler". I know that the Z06 spoiler is an additional cost option that must be ordered with the 5W8 package. I just don't know why or what the difference is from the CFZ package. They are both Carbon-Flash painted and, as far as I can tell, contain the front spoiler with small end winglets, full Z06 style side skirts and the stage 1 Z06 style rear spoiler.

My question is - what is the difference(s) between the CFZ and the 5W8 ground effects packages?

Any information that could be provided by owners who have ordered one or the other of these packages would be greatly appreciated. I want to be sure of what I'm getting when I order the car. My local dealers and GM Canada have been no help.

Thanks, best regards
Ross
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

- bump
Old 08-21-2017, 12:30 PM
CharLT
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My limited understanding is that one is a factory option code while the other is a dealer accessory code. The items may be the same, but the CFZ will include installation cost and the parts will be installed by the dealer during PDI (Pre-delivery inspection). The 5W8 is an accessory code that is purchased as parts and dealer installation labor will be an extra charge.

From the descriptions you quoted, it also appears that CFZ is the package containing four pieces (front splitter, two side rockers and rear spoiler). The 5W8 and 5ZW accessories separated out the rear spoiler from the three ground effects pieces.

The real question is whether the cheaper package has the 3/4 fiberglass rockers or if both packages have the same full-length carbon fiber rockers.
The following users liked this post:
cdnrx1 (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:00 PM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Hi CharLT:

Thanks so much for your reply, the information provided makes perfect sense and helps to confirm what I've been able to piece together so far.

CFZ is an RPO, Regular Production Option and 5W8 is an LPO, Limited Production Option. RPO's are normally installed at the factory but, in the case of the ground effects package, it's my understanding that it is shipped to and installed by the dealer. It stands to reason that the 5W8, being an LPO, could be ordered separately, along with the Z06 style rear spoiler, as an accessory package. Not sure why anyone would do that as it is quite a bit more expensive if ordered as an accessory.

As to whether the side skirts are 3/4 or full, I'm pretty sure that they are full length. I've actually seen the package installed on a base C7 on a dealer's lot. The problem was that the dealer couldn't tell me the difference between the CFZ and the 5W8. They just didn't know and claimed that they couldn't get any more information.

Your response has been tremendously helpful. Thanks again.

Best regards
Ross
Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can tell you for sure the Carbon flash for $2999 and the carbon fiber $3999 are identical. Full length skirts. 10x nicer splitter. Bigger rear spoiler. But for $595 you can get the stage 3. Bigger winglets up front and the plastic piece on rear spoiler.
cdnrx1 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

CFZ is the "Stage 2" aero package for the regular Stingray and Z51. The spoiler comes installed, the side skirts and spoiler are done during PDI.

The other package is the two parts independently. The difference is you'd get TWO spoilers, the one that came on the car, and the "Stage 2" one which the dealer would install (5ZW).

5W8 regardless of how it's ordered is installed at PDI. The difference as stated would be the spoilers. I'm also assuming "aggressive" means "Stage 2" as the "standard" Z06 or "Stage 1" spoiler is "nearly" identical to the Z51 spoiler (the difference is that it is a two piece not a one piece spoiler so you CAN upgrade it to "Stage 2" and "Stage 3" later on by buying the winglets and the wicker bill)
cdnrx1 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

So I did some research

VTD LPO, Body-Color Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in a body color

5W8 LPO, Carbon Flash Ground Effects, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in Carbon Flash color

5VM LPO, Exposed Carbon Fiber Ground Effects, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in exposed Carbon Fiber

S6S LPO, Exposed Carbon Fiber rocker moldings, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts in exposed Carbon Fiber

SJI LPO, Carbon Flash rocker moldings, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts in Carbon Flash color

SB3 LPO, Body-color wing spoiler, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the accessory "Wing" spoiler which has a gap between it and the body

5ZU LPO, Z51-style spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the Z51 spoiler in body color

5ZV LPO, Carbon Flash painted Z51-style spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the Z51 spoiler in Carbon Flash

5ZZ LPO, Z06-style body-color spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the "Stage 1" Z06 spoiler in body color

5ZW LPO, Z06-style Carbon Flash spoiler, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the "Stage 2" Z06 spoiler in Carbon Flash color

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 08-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^

Thanks for the info.

FWIW: The confusion I had when ordering my CFZ aero package for my Grand Sport was why the $1000 difference between visible Carbon Fiber and my Carbon Flash painted Carbon Fiber option. Wanted to be sure I was getting carbon fiber construction for the added strength. When exiting, hit the carbon fiber LG Motorsports side skirts I installed on my 2014 and had no issues. Always worried about my passengers when exiting! They definitely are and I can see the raw carbon fiber on the under side. It takes the blasting from pebbles I get around here!

Best I can determine is it's similar to the visible Carbon Fiber roof I had on my 2014 Z51 versus the painted CF roof. There was an early press release that said in addition to supplying the painted carbon fiber roof the company also makes the more labor intensive visible carbon fiber roof that requires careful positioning and resin application of the top carbon fiber cloth. Although the production processes are different IF when making the visible carbon fiber roof it does not meet quality standards it can be painted and supplied as the less expensive painted roof (no doubt at lower price to GM!) The visible carbon fiber roof was a ~$2000 option. For the limited number of these aero option packages wonder if the manufacturing process is just not the same with more attention to positioning the top CF layer, etc for the ones that have visible CF finish. Also if one is being made to have a visible CF look doesn't meet QA standards they can just paint it!

For my September 2013 build C7 Z51 the roofs were constrained. Found out from someone who was Rick Hendrick when he picked up his #1 produced C7 (paid $1,100,000 as I recall on a Barrett Jackson Charity auction) it was a quality issue! They were able to get mine that looked perfect when I recently sold it!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-22-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
So I did some research

VTD LPO, Body-Color Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in a body color

5W8 LPO, Carbon Flash Ground Effects, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in Carbon Flash color

5VM LPO, Exposed Carbon Fiber Ground Effects, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts and splitter in exposed Carbon Fiber

S6S LPO, Exposed Carbon Fiber rocker moldings, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts in exposed Carbon Fiber

SJI LPO, Carbon Flash rocker moldings, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the side skirts in Carbon Flash color

SB3 LPO, Body-color wing spoiler, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the accessory "Wing" spoiler which has a gap between it and the body

5ZU LPO, Z51-style spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the Z51 spoiler in body color

5ZV LPO, Carbon Flash painted Z51-style spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the Z51 spoiler in Carbon Flash

5ZZ LPO, Z06-style body-color spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the "Stage 1" Z06 spoiler in body color

5ZW LPO, Z06-style Carbon Flash spoiler, Genuine Corvette Accessory

This is the "Stage 2" Z06 spoiler in Carbon Flash color
Hey LT1 Z51:

Thanks for the leg-work.

Your extensive research has provided a lot of good information, particularly the fact that the 5ZW rear spoiler that must be ordered with the 5W8 Ground Effects package is Stage 2. I didn't know that. I suppose it helps to partially explain why the 5W8 (LPO) is so much more expensive than the CFZ (RPO).

The collective input on this thread has been great. It's provided me with more information in 2 days than I've been able to get from my local dealers in 2 months. As such, I now feel confident that If I order the CFZ Ground Effects Package I'll get what I want. In addition, it'll be easy enough to upgrade the rear spoiler to Stage 2/3 at a later date using reasonably priced components from one of the forum vendors.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Best regards
Ross

Get notified of new replies

To New Member - Factory Ground Effects Question

Quick Reply: New Member - Factory Ground Effects Question