Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 A8 Stingray Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 AM
C7 Pilot
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default '16 Z51 A8 Stingray Engine Failure

I had my Stingray at a high performance driving event (not a competition) at AAA Speedway in Fontana last June. The engine threw a rod breaking holes in both sides of the block. Happened at 100+ mph in 3rd gear (according to the dealer's claimed evaluation of the ECM record. Probably correct). Oil hit the cat converter and flashed fire. The dealer and GM say not their problem because I didn't change oil to 15W-50 before going to the track. (Read your owner's manual carefully). New long block replacement engine needed. My bad (and expense). The dealer wouldn't do a failure analysis on the failed engine. Spun bearing? Swallowed valve? Something else? Who knows?

But the other day I happened to see another '16 Z51 Stingray at the same dealer and I learned it suffered the same fate. Thrown rod, broken block, oil fire, new engine needed. His happened at 80 mph on the freeway according to the owner.

My question is this: How many other C7 dry sump engines (Z06 & Z51) have thrown rods and needed engine replacements.

Last edited by C7 Pilot; 08-22-2017 at 02:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SilverGhost (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't recall seeing a lot of failures on here. Seems like if they're gonna fail, it's valve spring related. I thought there was a thread about one experiencing some sort of knocking related to rods and bearings. Can't remember specifics, but the engine had to be replaced.

That's reaching for them to void warranty over the oil, but I guess it's in the manual so you gotta follow it. If it was me, I'd be hauling it back to my house to do it, or at least drag it to another dealer to get the work done. They'd be giving me bad vibes even if there was nothing they could do to help me. Probably have to have a dealer do the work to get the warranty back though.
The following users liked this post:
C7 Pilot (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

If it's not gonna be covered by the warranty , pull the car from there and have a well known shop put in a forged motor. Probably cost you the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by stab1991:
astaggs (08-22-2017), bigsapper (08-22-2017), C7 Pilot (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM
C7 Pilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by stab1991
If it's not gonna be covered by the warranty , pull the car from there and have a well known shop put in a forged motor. Probably cost you the same.
I considered that. Even located a couple independent Corvette C7 GM certified mechanics. But because it was a straight long block replacement, and not a rebuild, I opted for having the dealership do it. I talked to their mechanic to 'get a feel' for him and his work, for what that may be worth. But in the end, I figured that down the road it would be easier to deal with one entity for any future warranty issues, i.e., the engine supplier, the mechanic, and GM in the event of a dispute. Now those issues will be all GM, and I'm not stuck with my original dealer.

Last edited by C7 Pilot; 08-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 Pilot
I considered that. Even located a couple independent Corvette C7 GM certified mechanics. But because it was a straight long block replacement, and not a rebuild, I opted for having the dealership do it. I talked to their mechanic to 'get a feel' for him and his work, for what that may be worth. But in the end, I figured that down the road it would be easier to deal with one entity for any future warranty issues, i.e., the engine supplier, the mechanic, and GM in the event of a dispute. Now those issues will be all GM, and I'm not stuck with my original dealer.
That is what I would do.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm with stab1991.

Your "new" engine will not be covered under the factory warranty. I'd check, but likely 1 year/10k miles. Although full crate engines do come with a 3 year/100k mile warranty. I'd also check about coverage when "tracking". Crate engines are not covered by racing or track events, BTW. In any event, if you do have the dealer rebuild the engine, I'd first get clarity on the warranty.

Also, I doubt the rest of your drive train would still be covered. They'll probably attribute a trans or diff failure as impacted from the original engine failure.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

What is the price range of a forged motor if my 2014 Z51 ever blew? Including labor of swapping the blown with new forged engine?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

My 2015 Z51 needs a new engine too. It didn't, however, poke any holes in the block, it just came to a halt after overheating. Since it overheated after all of 5 minutes in cool temperatures, its not a "overheating" issue, but some kind of failure. All I know so far is there is heat related damage, issues with the bearings, and a lot of metal.

Its been 4+ weeks since it failed and the dealer has been allowed to touch the car for, maybe, three days, since GM has been trying to not cover it under warranty. The thing is, I was using the proper oil and doing everything I was supposed to do, so its just GM trying to find a way to screw over its customers.

Now we are waiting for someone from GM to visit the dealer so they can find out if they are allowed to do anything else.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

Sigh...when will GM learn.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Sigh...when will GM learn.
When people stop buying cars from them. They've convinced me to stop.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

OP...Was this your first HPDE or had you done a few before this happened?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't see why this wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Chevy will warranty any of their high performance cars on and off the track if they are stock.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I don't see why this wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Chevy will warranty any of their high performance cars on and off the track if they are stock.
The original car is warrantied. Doubtful that a rebuild or crate engine is covered the same way. I certainly wouldn't assume so. I'd get in writing what the warranty is post the repair.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 AM
C7 Pilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
OP...Was this your first HPDE or had you done a few before this happened?
It was my first HPDE in the Corvette. I'd been to Streets of Willow in Willow Springs Raceway several times in my '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP in much higher ambient temperatures. No problems. That little 2.0 turbocharged Ecotec handled whatever I asked it to do. Not so with my Z51.

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 A8 Stingray Engine Failure

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 A8 Stingray Engine Failure