Sponsored by:

Loss of everything on dash!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
PKSerda
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loss of everything on dash!!!

Last Friday, as I was accelerating to get on the interstate, I looked at my dash to check my speed....it was stuck on 58mph, and I know I was going much faster, because I was still accelerating....just a second later, everything went black, all gauges, radio, etc....this lasted about 5 seconds. I let off the gas pedal, to try to get onto the shoulder, when all of a sudden, everything re-appeared!!! Freaked me out a bit, I must say!!! I had just left the house, headed up to Shreveport for the weekend, so I continued on my way, as I had a 4-hr. drive ahead of me. And...if it happened again, the dealer I use for service was on my path, so I could have stopped in there. HOWEVER, it has NOT done it again since. Any ideas? My car now has 49,000 miles on it...it's a 2014. I need to make an appointment for an alignment, so I will definitely let them know what has happened.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Acenines3
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 55 Posts

Must have been the eclipse......
The following 2 users liked this post by Acenines3:
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (08-26-2017), PKSerda (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

My 2015 did that once and the fix was a software update (PI1375B). That was two years ago and I know there's at least one update ("C") more current.
The following users liked this post:
PKSerda (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by PKSerda
Last Friday, as I was accelerating to get on the interstate, I looked at my dash to check my speed....it was stuck on 58mph, and I know I was going much faster, because I was still accelerating....just a second later, everything went black, all gauges, radio, etc....this lasted about 5 seconds. I let off the gas pedal, to try to get onto the shoulder, when all of a sudden, everything re-appeared!!! Freaked me out a bit, I must say!!! I had just left the house, headed up to Shreveport for the weekend, so I continued on my way, as I had a 4-hr. drive ahead of me. And...if it happened again, the dealer I use for service was on my path, so I could have stopped in there. HOWEVER, it has NOT done it again since. Any ideas? My car now has 49,000 miles on it...it's a 2014. I need to make an appointment for an alignment, so I will definitely let them know what has happened.
I don't have an answer for you, but when it gets checked out by your Chevy dealer, it would be great if you followed up and let us know what they find. This is the first time I've heard of this, but sure would like to know more.
Thanks
PKSerda (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Happened to me once. Everything went black. I reached for the **** on the dash to turn the dash lights up and as soon as i touched that ****, everything came back up. Never happened again.
PKSerda (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 PM
PKSerda
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Acenines3
Must have been the eclipse......

LOL...pre-eclipse?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM
PKSerda
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blueray16
Happened to me once. Everything went black. I reached for the **** on the dash to turn the dash lights up and as soon as i touched that ****, everything came back up. Never happened again.
Yea, it was pretty unnerving! Was hoping that if it did happen again, it would do it before I reached the dealer, which is about an hour drive from where I was...BUT, it hasn't happened again.

All the electronic crap, something is surely to have a glitch every once in a while!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Screen didn't black out, but something similar. Happened once in the 21 months I've owned my '16.

Info screen froze. Radio still played, but couldn't adjust the volume or change the station. On the screen, or even with the steering wheel controls. I was using the nav at the time. I had the voice guidance turned off, but it came back on and I couldn't get to the settings to turn it off.

Had to stop for gas, so turned the car off. When I restarted, everything was fine.

So computerized, must need a reboot every once in awhile.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

My first one did it all the time.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

This actually happened to me last Friday. Cluster went black and no matter how many times I turned off ignition and back on, it wouldn't come back on. Car drove in Tour Mode, but wouldn't go into any other modes. When engine was off and turned back on, cluster would prompt a message to turn ignition on to view applications, even though engine was on, then the message would go away and cluster would turn black.

After spending a half a day trying to get it back on, trying with two different obd2 readers to diagnose (with no luck) I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect to reboot system and get the cluster back on. Driving like the old times when there were no rpm display! Actually kind of refreshing!

I'm also going in for a check up at dealer tomorrow
PKSerda (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 04:53 PM
PKSerda
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kamran
This actually happened to me last Friday. Cluster went black and no matter how many times I turned off ignition and back on, it wouldn't come back on. Car drove in Tour Mode, but wouldn't go into any other modes. When engine was off and turned back on, cluster would prompt a message to turn ignition on to view applications, even though engine was on, then the message would go away and cluster would turn black.

After spending a half a day trying to get it back on, trying with two different obd2 readers to diagnose (with no luck) I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect to reboot system and get the cluster back on. Driving like the old times when there were no rpm display! Actually kind of refreshing!

I'm also going in for a check up at dealer tomorrow

Guess we just need to re-boot our cars now!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PKSerda
Guess we just need to re-boot our cars now!
Only as a last resort. Rebooting clears any error code for dealer to detect.

I rebooted because Tour Mode was not the appropriate mode for me to be in at the time of my occurance.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

This has happened to my 2015 twice in the last 20,000 miles. Both times it occurred when I opened the trunk before turning on the ignition. Both times it was when the car was cold...go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of everything on dash!!!

Quick Reply: Loss of everything on dash!!!