Sponsored by:

Quote on bumper damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:19 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Quote on bumper damage

So one of my friends accidently backed into a 2014 stingray going 3-5mph. Obviously she feels really bad about it and left a note with her number on the car. They got in contact with each other and the owner actually brings the vehicle to his body shop where the owner of the body shop gave me a quote of around 3.2k not including the rear diffuser(his own words)

I pretty much want a third opnion or in this case a few more. What would be the easiest way to resolve this and to mitigate the pricing. I seen a few rear bumpers that included the rear diffuser for around 750-1000 bucks. I was thinking to buy that have it repainted and stick it back on. The owner of the vehicle cherishes this car very much and I and relate because I do to. Is there any reason why he would be opposed to this option? Or is there a different and more efficiant route? Below I have included the pictures.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Silver&Blue
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AceG
So one of my friends accidently backed into a 2014 stingray going 3-5mph. Obviously she feels really bad about it and left a note with her number on the car. They got in contact with each other and the owner actually brings the vehicle to his body shop where the owner of the body shop gave me a quote of around 3.2k not including the rear diffuser(his own words)

I pretty much want a third opnion or in this case a few more. What would be the easiest way to resolve this and to mitigate the pricing. I seen a few rear bumpers that included the rear diffuser for around 750-1000 bucks. I was thinking to buy that have it repainted and stick it back on. The owner of the vehicle cherishes this car very much and I and relate because I do to. Is there any reason why he would be opposed to this option? Or is there a different and more efficiant route? Below I have included the pictures.
Vettes aunt cheap to fix butl 19.1 hours of labor seems like a lot, and 11 hours of paint. looks like they marked this up a bit.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 08-23-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: No need to repeat the string of photos
Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

when bodyshops see that insurance companies are paying the price goes up.

Go to a different bodyshop, tell them that you're paying out of pocket and see what they come up with.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by themonk
when bodyshops see that insurance companies are paying the price goes up.

Go to a different bodyshop, tell them that you're paying out of pocket and see what they come up with.

I already informes the body shop that we would be willing to pay out of pocket. He insisted this is the going rate and this is NOT including the bottom diffuser which looks the most damaged part to me.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

That's what I was thinking too. I could go to school to learn how to paint, then fix the car and still have less time in the fix. Looks like Vette some tax in there, but what do you do? The owner's probably not gonna let her cheap out.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I already informes the body shop that we would be willing to pay out of pocket. He insisted this is the going rate and this is NOT including the bottom diffuser which looks the most damaged part to me.
that's why you get 3 estimates and don't volunteer any more info than they need.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 AM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
That's what I was thinking too. I could go to school to learn how to paint, then fix the car and still have less time in the fix. Looks like Vette some tax in there, but what do you do? The owner's probably not gonna let her cheap out.

Yes hopefully on sunday when we meet, I am.able to convince him to let a different body shop do it
Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Seems really excessive. Then again, seems everything that comes up is on these. Yeah, I'd shop around for sure.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If insurance was involved, they might have a say in the estimate. Otherwise, the owner of the car that was hit should be able to have it fixed at the shop they choose since they have to live with the repair.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Sometimes body shops can't really give an accurate quote until they take off all the damaged parts to see if there is hidden damage. I got rear ended recently in my 3 month old Nissan Rogue. The rear bumper cover was permanently creased. I thought, no way over $1K to replace the cover and fix any damage. However on inspection, the shop manager pointed out that there are things under the cover that are designed to crumple and they would likely need to be replaced. As it turned out, the entire rear hatch ALSO had to be replaced because it was also designed to absorb the impact. He pointed out that the interior trim on the hatch was cracked because of the impact. Ended up being $4K.

Last edited by Frosty; 08-23-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

All of the hours seem excessive. The part cost does not. The diffuser is the black portion of the rear end. That little plastic screen is easily replaced. I don't see any real damage to the lower portion of the rear end (the black portion). It does look slightly bent in one of the photos, but that may return to shape without issue.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This conversation is absurd!! The person who hit the corvette admitted fault; they are responsible for the repair--period. If this happened to me and my corvette was damaged, I would absolutely not be having this conversation with either the person who caused the damage or their "friend." My car would go to the best body shop in town, and if was too expensive for them--tough!! If they balked at paying for the repair I would take them to small claims court for an easy judgement. If they still balked I would simply have the sheriff seize their car or assets. Yes, I have done this!! Hopefully, lesson learned.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

That's why we carry insurance it sucks for your friend I wouldn't even stress over it I let the insurance company handle it and be done. The insurance is only going to go up so much over the next three years then come back down again or change companies by the time you're done even if it's two Grand it's not worth paying out-of-pocket no matter how you look at it

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 08-23-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default 3 Time Loser

Our C6 was lightly popped in the rear end 3 times in 15 months. I've got some rear ender experience sad to say. There isn't a ton of stuff behind the rear facade. There are squarish pieces of styrofoam. They are painted black, but no different than a picnic cooler. Save these parts were nearly a grand. Expensive minnow bucket. It is just the way it goes my friend. And the reason insurance is so dear to us.

And that is snow in Tucson. Kinda snow, but it was not kinda cold.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You must be nuts!! If someone like you or your "friend" hit and caused damage to my corvette in my wildest dreams I cannot imagine how I would let you dictate or try to negotiate how the repairs would be done.
I think many other owners would express the same sentiments. I think your comments and proposals are absurd. What's more, it your friend does not have insurance I would be sure and turn her over to the DMV to have her license pulled. Yes, I have done this. Life is tough, and sometimes we have to learn our lessons the hard way.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:10 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nobull
You must be nuts!! If someone like you or your "friend" hit and caused damage to my corvette in my wildest dreams I cannot imagine how I would let you dictate or try to negotiate how the repairs would be done.
I think many other owners would express the same sentiments. I think your comments and proposals are absurd. What's more, it your friend does not have insurance I would be sure and turn her over to the DMV to have her license pulled. Yes, I have done this. Life is tough, and sometimes we have to learn our lessons the hard way.
She does have insurance. The body shop suggested we both settle this without it. The owner wouldnt have a mark on thier car history and my friends premium wouldn't go up. Being the fact that she was honest and left a note opposed to just going on her way, I really feel its not justified that the body shop can charge whatever they want for something like this. I can gaurentee the same results with mitigated costs. I hardly think this is absurd and glad it wasn't you that she rear ended. I just wonder if you were in her position and rear ended someone with minimal damage, would you be singing the same song when they decide they can overcharge you with an obscene number. Please dont speak for other members on the forum also, as you can see they tend to agree the price is a bit execssive.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:14 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Sometimes body shops can't really give an accurate quote until they take off all the damaged parts to see if there is hidden damage. I got rear ended recently in my 3 month old Nissan Rogue. The rear bumper cover was permanently creased. I thought, no way over $1K to replace the cover and fix any damage. However on inspection, the shop manager pointed out that there are things under the cover that are designed to crumple and they would likely need to be replaced. As it turned out, the entire rear hatch ALSO had to be replaced because it was also designed to absorb the impact. He pointed out that the interior trim on the hatch was cracked because of the impact. Ended up being $4K.

I 100% agree if the bill would be what it is if there was internal damage. This quote was based off just the external damage not including the diffuser. Which means he was quoting me that for the upper bumper and the taillight bezel.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

There are a lot of parts involved with this repair; the back cover has a lot of clips laser welded to it. It these are broken, then an entire new piece is required. My 2014 conv got hit in left rear corner by 18 wheeler's front right wheel lug nuts when he merged into me at less than 5 mph. A little bitty hit can do a lot of damage to these cars. It did $8000 worth of damage. It took the insurance adjuster 3 trips to inspect the damage as car was disassembled at dealer. Lots of hidden damage as discovered. You are better off to file an insurance chaim so you are covered for hidden damage. I have a copy of my damage costs to repair if you are interested in reviewing it for piece costs.

Last edited by kenrobb; 08-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenrobb
There are a lot of parts involved with this repair; the back cover has a lot of clips laser welded to it. It these are broken, then an entire new piece is required. My 2014 conv got hit in left rear corner by 18 wheeler's front right wheel lug nuts. It did $8000 worth of damage. It took the insurance adjuster 3 trips to inspect the damage as car was disassembled at dealer. Lots of hidden damage as discovered. You are better off to file an insurance chaim so you are covered for hidden damage. I have a copy of my damage costs to repair if you are interested in reviewing it for piece costs.

I completely agree with you but the difference is you got hit by an 18 wheeler opposed to my friend rear ended his car at 3mph parked. 8k damage from something like that is probably on the lower side but i wouldnt know. All i am saying is this is the quote that my friend recieved, is for whatever you see in the pictures not including rear diffuser OR any unforseen damage internally which he states would be adjusted "accordingly"

Get notified of new replies

To Quote on bumper damage

Quick Reply: Quote on bumper damage