C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the dry sump really necessary? Z51 vs base...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Ed2016
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is the dry sump really necessary? Z51 vs base...

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here... I've been really torn recently on what to get in my next car... base vs. z51... manual vs. automatic.

Can somebody help clarify, is the dry-sump feature worth the cost of the Z51 package over the base model?

I'm in the market for a used C7 and there seem to be lots of base (non-Z51) versions for sale. But it seems hard to find a Z51 version. I also rented a base model recently and really liked the soft ride. I've yet to drive a Z51 equipped car.

I plan to drive my car in the canyons around LA (think lots of remote windy roads), and since I'm mainly dealing with short sharp corners I feel like the dry-sump isn't necessary. It seems to me like oil starvation issues are a bigger deal if you take lots of long sweeping curves (like on a race track).

Am I right... or should I just hold out for a Z51 car?

Also I was thinking that lots of other sports cars don't have dry sump systems... like the new GT350 mustang... or even my last corvette (C5 Z06). So is a dry sump system really necessary for those that only engage in occasional public road spirited driving?

Last edited by Ed2016; 08-28-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed2016
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here... I've been really torn recently on what to get in my next car... base vs. z51... manual vs. automatic.

Can somebody help clarify, is the dry-sump feature worth the cost of the Z51 package over the base model?

I'm in the market for a used C7 and there seem to be lots of base (non-Z51) versions for sale. But it seems hard to find a Z51 version. I also rented a base model recently and really liked the soft ride. I've yet to drive a Z51 equipped car.

I plan to drive my car in the canyons around LA (think lots of remote windy roads), and since I'm mainly dealing with short sharp corners I feel like the dry-sump isn't necessary. It seems to me like oil starvation issues are a bigger deal if you take lots of long sweeping curves (like on a race track).

Am I right... or should I just hold out for a Z51 car?

Also I was thinking that lots of other sports cars don't have dry sump systems... like the new GT350 mustang... or even my last corvette (C5 Z06). So is a dry sump system really necessary for those that only engage in occasional public road spirited driving?
Probably the biggest need would be on a a freeway on ramp. So the short answer would be no, but, I would recommend driving a Z51 and a base car side by side because they will feel considerably different and it's because of a lot of little things that the chassis engineers changed to make the driving have a sharper edge on the Z51.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The Z51 is the option package for those who want to track their cars or at least drive "spirited" on the highways and back roads.
I have one, I'm glad I got a Z51 for me, but I wouldn't recommend one for everyone. The base car cost less to maintain, has the same engine, transmission and body that the Z51 has and probably would do everything I wanted it to do. IMHO, if the base is what you want go for it. Keep in mind, the interior package, 1LT, 2LT or 3LT are all available in the base. Maybe you should focus on that decision.
As for the transmission, that's pretty simple, do you want to shift or do you want an automatic? With paddle shifting the automatic can be a lot of fun. I bought a manual, M7, because I really like the rev matching feature and the manual brings me back to the days of my first Corvette, a manual four speed from the early 70s.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 PM
Ed2016
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The Z51 is the option package for those who want to track their cars or at least drive "spirited" on the highways and back roads.
I have one, I'm glad I got a Z51 for me, but I wouldn't recommend one for everyone. The base car cost less to maintain, has the same engine, transmission and body that the Z51 has and probably would do everything I wanted it to do. IMHO, if the base is what you want go for it. Keep in mind, the interior package, 1LT, 2LT or 3LT are all available in the base. Maybe you should focus on that decision.
As for the transmission, that's pretty simple, do you want to shift or do you want an automatic? With paddle shifting the automatic can be a lot of fun. I bought a manual, M7, because I really like the rev matching feature and the manual brings me back to the days of my first Corvette, a manual four speed from the early 70s.
Good point about trim level.

Automatic vs manual is a tough one... one week I'm 100% set on manual (my last 5 cars were manual), then I get stuck in one of those regularly occurring 2-3 hour LA traffic jams, and suddenly an automatic starts to make sense. Case in point, I got stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam in my rental C7 a few weeks ago and it was great being able to just put it in auto and zone out.

But then there's the whole automatic transmission issue that seems to be constantly talked about with C7's on this forum. If there's one major issue with these cars it seems to be the automatic transmission.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Last edited by Ed2016; 08-29-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Other than the cost of 3 extra quarts of oil, I'm not sure how the Z51 costs more to maintain.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Emil Hajric (08-29-2017), Johnp94 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree that was a misguided comment the Z51 doesn't cost more to maintain. Do you need the dry sump, not necessarily unless you go to track. Is more a mater of preference. I have not track mine, but I prefer to have the Z51 which is a full performance package. My choice.
The following users liked this post:
Emil Hajric (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:12 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There is a lot more to the Z51 package than the dry sump oil system. Speaking for a 2015,

Performance exhaust, a little more torque, better 0-60 time, better lateral acceleration, better braking / larger rotors, larger wheels w lower profile tires, better suspension (stabilizer bars and shocks), taller low end gears with the M7, etc

Also the performance data recorder is included. While you might not want that, by its inclusion the NAV is added at no extra charge (for 2LT). Without Z51, the performance data recorder is required as an a la carte option to get NAV.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

As was mentioned, the issue isn't short turns in twisties but a 270 degree long exit/entrance highway ramp could be.

I'll explain my experience and the concern I had with my C6 Z51 that did not have a dry sump.

Years ago had a 260Z and took a long entrance ramp every day to a little used highway on the way to work. It was a 270 degree sweeping turn that I took at a high "g" force but not near 1 "g" since the car was not capable. Although those Continental 714's then Michelin XWX tires provided a lot of grip. It had analog gauges and I could see the oil pressure drop near the end of the ramp! I was no doubt pulling in air! At times would lift when I saw the drop.

My C6 Z51 did not have a dry sump. There is a similar 270 degree exit ramp with a grass field on the outside where I live now so little risk to me, the car and none to anyone else. Often no one on the ramp but me. The C6 could get close to a "g" on a skid pad. GM did have baffles built into the pan so it was probably OK but that digital oil pressure gauge is not a good indicator. In the welding equipment business we would purposely design gauges to show an average over several seconds!

Glad a have a dry sump when I take that ramp fast in the higher "g" capable Grand Sport! There are no 270 degree turns when tracking! Probably would not be an issue but didn't like when that 260Z pressure gauge flashed in mind when driving my C6! Don't think I would be concerned canyon carving!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-29-2017 at 07:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
krwunlv (10-23-2018), Z06NJ (09-07-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I got the Z51 for the Ediff, diff ratio, and better brakes. The dry sump was a bonus.

Last edited by rrsperry; 08-29-2017 at 07:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rrsperry:
1ccrider (08-29-2017), LimeRay (08-29-2017), Maxpowers (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I would say that if you're on the fence about the transmission, get the manual. I've had both and liked the A8 for its performance and intelligence (picking the right gear at the right time), but the problems I had with it (TC and delayed-engagement issues) were enough for me to trade the car for an M7 after two years. Never again, and I'm much happier with the clutch and shifter. Are these problems fixed yet? Who knows, but I'll never buy another one.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Other than the cost of 3 extra quarts of oil, I'm not sure how the Z51 costs more to maintain.
In theory the brake pads could be more expensive (or wear out faster) and the e-diff is another part that can fail. All the extra cooling lines for various things also increase fluids (more diff fluid, more trans fluid, et al).

Granted those are probably pennies, but there is more than just the oil.

I'd still recommend a Z51 to anyone unless you don't want mag ride (when added I feel it's worth more on the Z51 than on base) or want to save money.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Add tons of brake dust to the mix with the Z51-the base has virtually no brake dust. I have a base and can't utilize the full performance of the base so for me a Z51 would be a waste. If I were on the fence about auto vs. stick, I would opt for the stick solely because of the history of problems with the A8.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Here's one, likely controversial, opinion from a base driver.

Lots of varying opinions on Z51 or base and its been discussed many times on this and other forums. It boils down to personal preference. What do YOU want on your car.

I've seen many, here and at the local club, who enjoy bragging they have a Z51. Now I have nothing against bragging, I enjoy it too. But many of the Z51 crowd never use the potential of their Z51, won't even get close to the potential of a base Vette. Dry sump isn't needed for sport street driving, even on roads like the Dragon. The turns just aren't long enough and tight enough to transfer oil away from the pickup. Neither are freeway onramps. It takes an extended high G turn to do that, IMHO, and much speed. And if you're doing that on the street you're engaging in dangerous driving.

Remember, Corvettes didn't always come with dry sump oil systems and they performed admirably. Once the technology was invented and proven for race cars they were added to production cars for those who seriously track them. Corvettes are race bred so it's natural the production cars would eventually get the system. I don't race. For me, I chose not to deal with the hassles of filling and checking the level of oil in a dry sump. I can check my oil cold, can't do that on a dry sump.

As for the additional options that come with Z51, they probably aren't needed either unless you're a serious track driver.

As for bragging rights, the Z51 has them. My base doesn't have the Ediff, mag ride, those dirty brake pads, nor Z51 sway bar but I never drive all that hard and as yet haven't needed them. I brag on my 3LT interior, ZF1 appearance package and NPP exhaust. That and the fact that I own a Corvette, a nice brag all in itself.

So OP... do you need a Z51? Would you like to have one when the guys and gals get together for cars and coffee? Or would you be happy with a simpler vehicle? See, its a very personal decision. At least we can all buy what we wish to have in our stable, once we figure all that out.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frodo:
767guy (09-05-2017), DanZR1 (09-02-2017), Walt White Coupe (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 AM
SLINGER
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo

Lots of varying opinions on Z51 or base and its been discussed many times on this and other forums. It boils down to personal preference. What do YOU want on your car.

I've seen many, here and at the local club, who enjoy bragging they have a Z51. Now I have nothing against bragging, I enjoy it too. But many of the Z51 crowd never use the potential of their Z51, won't even get close to the potential of a base Vette. Dry sump isn't needed for sport street driving, even on roads like the Dragon. The turns just aren't long enough and tight enough to transfer oil away from the pickup. Neither are freeway onramps. It takes an extended high G turn to do that, IMHO, and much speed. And if you're doing that on the street you're engaging in dangerous driving.

Remember, Corvettes didn't always come with dry sump oil systems and they performed admirably. Once the technology was invented and proven for race cars they were added to production cars for those who seriously track them. Corvettes are race bred so it's natural the production cars would eventually get the system. I don't race. For me, I chose not to deal with the hassles of filling and checking the level of oil in a dry sump. I can check my oil cold, can't do that on a dry sump.

As for the additional options that come with Z51, they probably aren't needed either unless you're a serious track driver.

As for bragging rights, the Z51 has them. My base doesn't have the Ediff, mag ride, those dirty brake pads, nor Z51 sway bar but I never drive all that hard and as yet haven't needed them. I brag on my 3LT interior, ZF1 appearance package and NPP exhaust. That and the fact that I own a Corvette, a nice brag all in itself.

So OP... do you need a Z51? Would you like to have one when the guys and gals get together for cars and coffee? Or would you be happy with a simpler vehicle? See, its a very personal decision. At least we can all buy what we wish to have in our stable, once we figure all that out.
I agree with Frodo, I have a 2015 3LT with the ZF1 appearance package and NPP exhaust. For me the larger Z51 wheels and spoiler were a must for the look of the vehicle and more important than the extra performance included with the Z51 package. My car will never see a track and even when I try, cannot push the car to the limits it will handle. I have a A8 with 10k miles on it. Its a daily driver which I use both with the paddles and without. No issues with my transmission. Whatever you choose you won't have any regrets once you start driving.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
There are pluses and minuses for both the base and Z51 - and it mostly comes down to personal preference if you aren't going to track the car.
The biggest danger with a wet sump, which is operated a little low on oil (think 1/2-1 qt below the add mark) on the track is in two areas you won't ever see on the street: running low speed on a high bank turn (think 50 mph at Daytona); and high speed large radius negative bank (off camber) turns - in both cases, the car is angled to the point where the pickup may be above the low oil level in the pan.

The base car for the street has several pluses: great ride, virtually no brake dust, tires that are a little less cool temperature sensitive and the clean look without the spoiler.
I had a 2014 base and have a 2018 GS - the base car (mine had the Z51 sway bars added and NPP exhaust) gives up nothing in handling or braking on the street (my definition - running at cornering speeds on public roads that get to about 0.95g) to my GS in "spirited" driving, and even with MSRC the GS (and Z51) rides far harder than the base car and don't get me started on the brake dust.

Originally Posted by shakinrock
There is a lot more to the Z51 package than the dry sump oil system. Speaking for a 2015,
Also the performance data recorder is included. While you might not want that, by its inclusion the NAV is added at no extra charge (for 2LT). Without Z51, the performance data recorder is required as an a la carte option to get NAV.
That is wrong information - the PDR is included only with the 3LT/LZ in every model Corvette: Base, Z51, GS & Z06; while on the 1LT/LZ and 2LT/LZ PDR/NAV is a $1,795 option on every model.

Last edited by LIStingray; 08-29-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Brake dust is easily fixed with the 1521 pads.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM
BaconWrappedSushi
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock

Performance exhaust, a little more torque, better 0-60 time, better lateral acceleration, better braking / larger rotors, larger wheels w lower profile tires, better suspension (stabilizer bars and shocks), taller low end gears with the M7, etc

I think PDR is still an add-on option unless you step up to 3LT. On my Z51 2LT it was $1.8k!

Originally Posted by Frodo

I think this is a great post. I was in the same boat for Z51 / GS / Z06 when I purchased. I went with the most "docile" of the 3 and I'm glad I did it. The Z06 is too much car for me on a public road, the GS I will probably never reach its full potential, and even then you will need to replace those massive 285/335 tires after some track work. So bigger maintenance. The Z51 just has so much added-on for so little extra cost it was hard for me to say no to it over the base car. I am sure the base is a great car.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned much on here is insurance. I'm 32, and the insurance on even the Z51 is not cheap (USAA). So think about that too in your choosing OP.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the dry sump really necessary? Z51 vs base...

Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

You don't need the dry sump for street driving. If you want the features of the Z51, great. A wet sump with street driving is a non issue.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have a C6 Z06 with the 10.5 quart dry sump. That said, along with hundreds of wet sump Corvettes of every generation, we have driven the high banked Talladega Superspeedway doing high speeds, and high g's around the long and wide sweeping corners.

I've have never seen a wet sump Corvette(or wet sump non Corvettes) blow an engine at Talladega, for any reason, much less oil starvation.

Same goes for driving the Texas Motor Speedway.

Doing long sweeping turns with slicks on a race track, might be another matter, but for spirted street driving, I don't see the need for a dry sump.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-29-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 AM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a C7 Z51 and while the Z51 options are nice I do not think I truly 'need' those options since I never track the car and only take spirited mountain drives ever so often. If you do go with the Z51 package I highly recommend you make sure it has the Mag Ride. For me the Z51 package without the Mag Ride was too much of a harsh ride, then again I have a bad back.

Back when I had my C6 there was a number of Vettes that blew out their engines from doing a excessive amount of doughnuts without a dry sump. With the dry sump you should be able to do continuous doughnuts to your hearts content (or until your tires give out) without starving the C7 engine of oil.

Quick Reply: Is the dry sump really necessary? Z51 vs base...