Sponsored by:

Front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
Be careful of potential sticker shock...my local dealer charged me $300 for a 4-wheel alignment on my new GS...and that was only after knocking $50 after I was a wee bit upset over the charges. Service manger was like "we had to do it 5 times to get it right"

Admittedly, as much my fault for not asking first and assuming the standard $89.95 covered Vettes. Still bitter over that and other things that went wrong on that visit...won't be going back to that dealer.
That $300 covered the special corvette tax charged corvette owners by the dealers.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

"A VERY important point to consider is the C7 is designed to be a very high performance car. I'm not certain why people buying a car like a C7 would not be ultimately wanting an alignment which compliments/exploits the performace oriented design goal of the car. Tire wear should be a distant second or third metric... IMHO."

Probably because many owners like me will never track their car or drive it anywhere near its capability. Nearly all of my driving is around town or on highway trips. The car will never see high speeds because there is nowhere to do that except a track.

Last edited by TNSQUIRE; 09-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Wow. Mine was done by Corvette certified mechanic at a Corvette dealer.
That means absolutely nothing. Do yourself a favor and do a C7 Z06 forum and General forum SEARCH on the word "ALIGNMENT". Most "certified" techs are clueless. There is noway he's doing the rear caster and only charging $109. I'll bet you an adult beverage.

MANY forum owners have argued with "certified" techs on the rear caster issue. It's just incredulous they are so ignorant about such an important performance AND safety issue/setting.

Again, MOST dealers don't even have the proper tools even though they are dirt cheap. They will lie to you saying they did it thinking you don't know what you're talking about. MANY, MANY horror stories to read about if you do a Search.

Last edited by rikhek; 09-06-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:26 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

"A VERY important point to consider is the C7 is designed to be a very high performance car. I'm not certain why people buying a car like a C7 would not be ultimately wanting an alignment which compliments/exploits the performace oriented design goal of the car. Tire wear should be a distant second or third metric... IMHO."

Probably because many owners like me will never track their car or drive it anywhere near its capability. Nearly all of my driving is around town or on highway trips. The car will never see high speeds because there is nowhere to do that except a track.
Just to point out the obvious, the speed the car snapped at in the video is not considered by most people to be "high speed".

The speed limit on the road where it occurred is 55 MPH and car snapped/spun without throttle application on a dry and dust free road at 64 MPH.

Whatever, just trying to help...

Rick
The following 2 users liked this post by rikhek:
Landru (09-08-2017), Maxie2U (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

I had my new GS aligned after running over something in the rain. They aligned it with my weight in the driver's seat. I remember the shop owner complaining that they had to buy a very expensive piece of equipment to do the job correctly.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Just had mine aligned today at Hendrick in Cary. They reported that the front camber was off slightly, rear was OK, they made a the correction. Cost was around $155.00.
I'm a little leery of having someone other than a Corvette dealer perform an alignment. Hendrick in Cary NC is a top 20 dealer, so they see a lot of C7s.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Just had mine aligned today at Hendrick in Cary. They reported that the front camber was off slightly, rear was OK, they made a the correction. Cost was around $155.00.
I'm a little leery of having someone other than a Corvette dealer perform an alignment. Hendrick in Cary NC is a top 20 dealer, so they see a lot of C7s.
Come on man, we're talking about CASTER, not camber. ANYBODY can set camber, that's the whole point!!! Read the thread, the important setting is REAR CASTER!!!

They DID NOT set this VERY important setting and only charge $155!!!
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I had my new GS aligned after running over something in the rain. They aligned it with my weight in the driver's seat. I remember the shop owner complaining that they had to buy a very expensive piece of equipment to do the job correctly.
LOL, too funny. And dealers and automotive shops wonder why the majority of them are despised. As stated earlier, they are LIARS.

The recommended tools needed to set rear caster on a C7 are:

1) CH-47960-10; MSRP $182
2) CH-47960; MSRP MSRP $732

TOTAL expenditure = $914

However, many C7 owners including myself refuse to spend $732 so we buy a iGaging or Wixey AngleCube for $29 off Amazon. Does the exact same thing.

Going this route the needed tools cost $211!

A good number of Chevy dealers have actually told owners who've purchased their car from them if the owner would spend his own money on the needed tools they align per the factory alignment procedure.

You can't make this **** up...

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 09-06-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bluez51c7
Thank you, it goes in tomorrow for a four wheel alignment. I am hard enough on the tires, I don't need to make tire wear any worse.

BTW I see members getting 30K + miles out of the original tires, do they not see the "track" setting?
I have a 14 Z51 that I bought new. Just replaced the tires at 33K. Felt very fortunate. Have fun!!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've had three previous new Corvettes, and every one of them had at least one parameter that was outside even the very wide factory specs.
Taking the new 2017 in soon, "uh, it pulls to one side".
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
LOL, too funny. And dealers and automotive shops wonder why the majority of them are despised. As stated earlier, they are LIARS.

The recommended tools needed to set rear caster on a C7 are:

1) CH-47960-10; MSRP $182
2) CH-47960; MSRP MSRP $732

TOTAL expenditure = $914

However, many C7 owners including myself refuse to spend $732 so we buy a iGaging or Wixey AngleCube for $29 off Amazon. Does the exact same thing.

Going this route the needed tools cost $211!

A good number of Chevy dealers have actually told owners who've purchased their car from them if the owner would spend his own money on the needed tools they align per the factory alignment procedure.

You can't make this **** up...

Rick
Yes!
Ask your GM dealer if they have these. I waited until my dealer had them to get my alignment.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Those 2 special caster tools are supposed to be at all Corvette authorized dealerships. If not they are available to get on loan from GM. They need to go to the GM Special Tools website, then log on to the GlobalConnect link. The tools will be overnited to dealer & returned after use. I believe in the beginning ('14 models) only some dealers (high volume) could order C7s but that changed with the '15s & on so they all "should" have these tools. But still the above procedures do work even if not know by dealer. Google "GM caster tools for C7".
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is a myth the cars come with a track setting but they don't. If you are going to track the car GM recommends a setting that is much more aggressive than the way the car comes from the factory. Camber is typically twice the factory setting.

I don't know what way out means when somebody says that about their alignment as the tolerances are quite wide. From what has been posted most Z06s come in somewhere around -1 to -1.2 camber. That setting is within spec and not way out.

Here are the C7 alignment specs from the Factory Service Manual:

Z51 will have FE3/FE4 suspension and Z06 will have FE6/FE7.

As you can see a left front camber of -1.2 is right on the edge of the spec and a right front camber of -1.2 is .3 deg inside the edge. The .3 deg difference between right and left more than likely compensates for driving on the right side of the road crown as the car will pull toward the side with the most positive camber.

Bill
I really appreciate it when people speak with data. Thanks Bill
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I had to replace my front tires at 17k due to pothole damage. They were heavily worn on the insides.
Be advised that on a new tire the inside groove is ½/32" shallower than the middle and outer grooves (outside groove if you've rotated your tires). I'm talking about the three wide grooves, not the thin ones. Mine were approx. 6.7/32" inner and 7.2/32" mid-outer when new, measured on my not-too-precise $3 tread-depth gauge. Verified this on a new car at the dealer. Wear has been consistent and very low so far, so I won't be checking the alignment on mine.

Last edited by iclick; 09-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I took my 15Z to Hendrick's City Chevy in Charlotte in March of 2015 to get the track alignment done. The denied any knowledge or rear caster being adjustable and the need for any special tools even though they are clearly called out in the factory service manual.

I doubt the Hendrick Dealership in Cary is any better. Same management same problems.

Bill
Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 PM
bluez51c7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record the tech said it was not far off. Attached is a copy of the results. Why is the "specified range" different for camber on the right front v the left front. They are both in line but why the difference?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

For the record the tech said it was not far off. Attached is a copy of the results. Why is the "specified range" different for camber on the right front v the left front. They are both in line but why the difference?

Post #8 has a copy of the official specs, and they are indeed different in left-right camber.

The most common explanation is that the difference is to keep the car from pulling to the right when driving on a cambered road surface.
On our 3 previous Corvettes, I had left-right camber set equal, if it pulled right it was not enough for me to notice.
bluez51c7 (09-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Front end alignment

Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by rikhek

Come on man, we're talking about CASTER, not camber. ANYBODY can set camber, that's the whole point!!! Read the thread, the important setting is REAR CASTER!!!

They DID NOT set this VERY important setting and only charge $155!!!
Does a base Stingray (non-Z51/GS/Z06) just a base Stingray, does it have this same issue of REAR CASTER adjustability??

Old 10-13-2017, 07:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Since no one answered your question, two reasons. One is to compensate for you sitting in the car and the other is the normal road camber.

Second thing I note, re "alignment being way off" from the factory is look at the broad range in the GM spec!

Brought my Grand Sport in to have an alignment check at 400 miles, after the suspension settled. The dealer could have just put in on the alignment machine and said, all but one toe was within spec! That took 5 minutes to fix. (GM will pay for an alignment up to 500 miles on a new car. Some dealers will do it with more mileage. Suggest, so they have something to put on their report to GM requesting to be paid, saying car pulls slightly to the right! Actually all cars often do, due to road camber!)

However I don't Track and wanted optimum tire wear. The car camber was on average -1.4 degrees on all 4 tires from the factory. All pretty close and within spec. Good for tracking but not for tire wear. I hand made a table and asked to have it set on the other end of the spec. Considering the different front right/left it averaged -0.8 degrees. The tech spent ~45 minutes making the required adjustments. I was watching from outside the alignment rack bay and he invited me in to look at the Hunter display as he made the changes. Told him there would be a tip and I appreciated his efforts. He centerline all toes.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-16-2017 at 07:20 AM.
bluez51c7 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Duck Hunter
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

GM will pay for one free alignment on all new cars. I had my local Chevy dealer check the alignment on my 2015 at 4K miles, and it was way off. They adjusted it for free. I had them recheck it at 10K miles and it was still good. I now have 25K miles on it and front tires are good, and look like they have another 10K left on them!

Quick Reply: Front end alignment