C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

OP,

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Enjoy your Porsche.

Have fun/be safe.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

So, let's recap, shall we: this thread isn't really about a C7, it's about the OP's disdain (hatred?) for GM dealers, and his love for Porsche dealers. He's already decided to get rid of his two Corvettes (not sure about the other GM vehicles he owns) for a trouble-free Porsche.

Does that about cover it?
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
egp (09-07-2017), JerryU (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:09 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
So, let's recap, He's already decided to get rid of his two Corvettes (not sure about the other GM vehicles he owns) for a trouble-free Porsche
He found a trouble-free Porsche?!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think there is a trouble free car made by any dealer. I do however expect the dealer to take care of problems when they do happen. Agree this is more geared towards the dealing with GM and their crap dealers however I could care less if it broke down once a month IF the dealer addressed the issues. Again this is not the first go around trying to get warranty work done.

I am just at the point I am willing to try something different to see if I get a better result, maybe a P car is worth a try.

I know there are better wheels that I can buy and solve the problem however I just can not force myself to spend a few grand on a set of wheels for a car that has 4000 miles on it when I had no intentions of buying wheels. I am also concerned about having to deal with the dealer on the A8 transmission issue in the future. It is already showing the normal signs (slow engagement, 200 RPM variance with TCC on, hunting for gears and hard shifting on occasion). I did mention these issues and was told to just live with it, they all do it. To be honest, this did not even make me mad. I figured if there is something wrong it will get worse and they can just fix it down the road, no big deal however if I have to go through all the BS when and if it does need fixed in the future I just don't have the time or energy to fight with them.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

So, let's recap, shall we: this thread isn't really about a C7, it's about the OP's disdain (hatred?) for GM dealers, and his love for Porsche dealers. He's already decided to get rid of his two Corvettes (not sure about the other GM vehicles he owns) for a trouble-free Porsche.

Does that about cover it?
I think you might want to read it again. I have no "love" for the P car dealers however based off friends that own them and their experiences the P car dealers and service departments seem to be better than GM. I could be wrong and they could be same or worse however after giving GM multiple opportunities on multiple new vehicles I have owned I don't have high hopes I will have any better luck in the future.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
I don't think there is a trouble free car made by any dealer. I do however expect the dealer to take care of problems when they do happen. Agree this is more geared towards the dealing with GM and their crap dealers however I could care less if it broke down once a month IF the dealer addressed the issues. Again this is not the first go around trying to get warranty work done.

I am just at the point I am willing to try something different to see if I get a better result, maybe a P car is worth a try.

I know there are better wheels that I can buy and solve the problem however I just can not force myself to spend a few grand on a set of wheels for a car that has 4000 miles on it when I had no intentions of buying wheels. I am also concerned about having to deal with the dealer on the A8 transmission issue in the future. It is already showing the normal signs (slow engagement, 200 RPM variance with TCC on, hunting for gears and hard shifting on occasion). I did mention these issues and was told to just live with it, they all do it. To be honest, this did not even make me mad. I figured if there is something wrong it will get worse and they can just fix it down the road, no big deal however if I have to go through all the BS when and if it does need fixed in the future I just don't have the time or energy to fight with them.
You may find out the Porsche Dealer is the same crap owner of the Chevy dealership. Porsche has no more control over their dealers than GM does since the franchise system keeps them from having control.

There are very few one brand dealers any more. Most have multiple dealerships. Hell, Hendrick in Charlotte advertises all the time 25 brands, 21 dealerships and 42K new and used cars in inventory and that is just the Charlotte area. If one dealership in a group is crap it is highly likely all of them are crap. It is all about the management of the local dealership not which brand is being sold/serviced.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Steve_R (09-07-2017), Vetteram (09-12-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

If you live where there is a Porsche dealer nearby there must be a number of Chevrolet dealers, why not try a different one? There's only one Chevy dealer near here, and fortunately I've had nothing but great service from them on my '14 C7.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

I would be looking at trading it ASAP and getting a 911.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

If you live where there is a Porsche dealer nearby there must be a number of Chevrolet dealers, why not try a different one? There's only one Chevy dealer near here, and fortunately I've had nothing but great service from them on my '14 C7.
This is the 2nd dealer I took it to.

1st dealer was where i bought it = They told me not to drive it in sport more, it makes it ride rougher and that is what I am feeling.

2nd dealer closer to my house = Indicated 3 wheels are bent and they will do nothing and I need to take it back to the original dealer.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:00 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wheel issues and the lack of customer service. I understand the difficulty of finding time to get a car in for service. Fortunately, some of the larger Dealers here have Saturday service hours which helps.

I also have experience with how these kind of issues can sour your experience for a particular make or model, so your feelings are understandable regarding trading for something else. But I have several friends that can tell you horror stories regarding their experience with Porsche products and Dealerships, so I don't think any Manufacturer is immune.

Best of luck to you, whichever way you decide to go.
The Rabbi (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

1st dealer was where i bought it = They told me not to drive it in sport more, it makes it ride rougher and that is what I am feeling.

2nd dealer closer to my house = Indicated 3 wheels are bent and they will do nothing and I need to take it back to the original dealer.
Time to elevate it to GM Customer Service.

FWIW I've never had my '14 vert out of Sport mode since the day I bought it over 3 years ago. It's never been in D and it's never been in AFM since I always use the paddles to shift. I bought it to be a sports car, not to worry about gas mileage.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Last edited by Steve_R; 09-07-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Time to elevate it to GM Customer Service.

FWIW I've never had my '14 vert out of Sport mode since the day I bought it over 3 years ago. It's never been in D and it's never been in AFM since I always use the paddles to shift. I bought it to be a sports car, not to worry about gas mileage.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Since the 2nd dealer says it's 3 bent rims, I'd take this advice & take it to a higher level with GM.
Waiting until you had 3000 miles to bring up the issue isn't going to help your cause, but I'd still get it escalated.
Good luck....hope you get it resolved.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

OK so here is what the plan is with this issue. Maybe it will get somewhere maybe not but I figured I would at least do the following.

1. I called GM and filed a complaint and waiting a call back (they said a person will call me in 1 to 2 days).
2. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at a Discount Tire a friend works at to have it double checked.
3. I priced wheels ($1500 for a new GM set)
4. I am going to go to a couple other car dealers on Saturday and just see what other options are out there and pricing.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:30 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Of course the 2nd dealer told you that. There is no way that dealer is going to be able to warranty three bent rims on a car with 3K miles. I am not saying you shouldn't be frustrated, but dealers/GM get stories like these all the time. Your best bet was escalating to GM Corporate and hope for a goodwill gesture or maybe at lease a discount on the parts/labor.

I have not owned a Porsche, but have owned several other German luxury brands and I can guarantee you none of them would have given me three new wheels on a car with 3K miles. But they would have treated me to a nice beverage and a cookie in the waiting room
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Krenath
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I, too, have a Grand Sport and three bent wheels after 3056 miles.

I've gotten them straightened at a cost of about $200/wheel at a local shop that specializes in wheel repair, got it aligned and now I'm doing my part by working harder to avoid surprises like deep Atlanta potholes and elevated manhole covers.

The wheels didn't arrive bent. Atlanta bent them.

If anyone from GA DOT reads this, G.F.Y.
The following 3 users liked this post by Krenath:
c5arlen (09-07-2017), Italianfox (09-07-2017), Vetteram (09-13-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:33 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Krenath

I've gotten them straightened at a cost of about $200/wheel at a local shop that specializes in wheel repair, got it aligned and now I'm doing my part by working harder to avoid surprises like deep Atlanta potholes and elevated manhole covers.

I am surprised you could get your car over 5mph in Atlanta traffic to bend the wheels

Everytime I go there for work it takes me an hour to go five miles. I think it is as bad as DC traffic (lived there for 8 years).
Krenath (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Since the 2nd dealer says it's 3 bent rims, I'd take this advice & take it to a higher level with GM.
Waiting until you had 3000 miles to bring up the issue isn't going to help your cause, but I'd still get it escalated.
Good luck....hope you get it resolved.
I agree the 3000 miles was probably too long however it is not a rally bad vibration just really annoying. This summer has been really stretching on time for me.

1. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer so we built a new house and moved her and us into it.
2. I work 10 plus hours 5 or 6 days a week then I have to go home and fix dinner and help her with items.
3. My better half has a broken ankle due to not using common sense on the waverunner so I spend another 2 hours dealing with transportation issues.
4. When I do have time it seems i am spending it cleaning house, doing laundry, mowing yard, doing landscaping, washing the cars, tending to the pets, etc.

At the end of the day this annoying vibration was just not important enough to overcome my busy and complicated schedule. I also do not have the time nor the desire to deal with fighting to get resolution when there is a issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Krenath

Honestly if I hit or did something to bend 3 wheels I would own it and just buy new wheels however I am pretty sure I would have known at that moment what had happened and noticed the vibration started.

Where i struggle is that I have been in this car for every mile minus the 50 it had when i bought it and I know it did not hit anything that hard.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I understand your frustration but I can see the dealers point of view, you have driven the car 3k miles which is more than enough time to cause the damage yourself.

While you have been too busy to visit the dealer did you promptly call the dealer after you brought the car home to make them aware of the issue? If not then I would say the fault is with you in this case. The best that a dealer may do would be to take some of the goodwill money they have and discount the new wheels for you.

On a side note I recall reading somewhere someone cautioned about driving with the MRC in sport mode on bad roads. Due to the stiffening up of the MRC shocks you can easily damage the wheels due to the low profile tires. This is true for any low profile car with stiff suspension though. The down side of a performance geared car.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,322 Likes on 992 Posts

The wheels are just icing on the cake when it comes to dealing with GM dealers and warranty issues.

I have purchased multiple new GM vehicles over the last 5 years (Tahoe, 2 trucks, Cadillac, Camaro SS, 2 Corvettes) and on multiple occasions I have had to deal with issues under warranty. Every time it seems to be a pain in the ***. Getting them to diagnose and fix problems takes multiple trips to the dealer, they want to argue repairs. I have always purchased GM vehicles as has my family and my father owns 3 Corvettes and 2 new GM daily drivers. I am just done with the drama.

I have a couple friends with "P" cars and they have 0 issues with the dealer or warranty claims. One broke the motor on the track and had the car towed to the dealer and they fixed it no questions asked. Don't get me wrong I love this C7 however I am just over GM and their worthless dealers.
I can see your perspective, I just think going to a P seeking reliability is a bit of a stretch...lol. I mean, no question, they all can't be problematic and some will have zero problems but...the stats don't lie. I think if you own the P you gotta keep rolling over that every 2yr new purchase deal and drive only cars under 25k.

Quick Reply: 2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!