Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Owners Question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 AM
a66bbvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted in another thread that compared the Z06 to the GS. There is an article out on the network that talks about the Quickest Production Corvettes that have ever been built. The determination was judged by the "0" to "60" mph times. #1 was the 2015 Z06 (said nothing about the 2016 / 2017 Z06), #2 was the 2013 ZR1, #3 was the 2017 GS at 3.6 sec. I know I will get slammed again for not saying the 2016 / 2017 Z06 was as fast as the 2015 Z06, but I am just repeating the data that was provided in the article.

I have a 2017 GS and love the car and yes the 0-60 is 3.6 sec (and I have proved that many times) and the top end speed is only documented to be 175 mph (but I have never proved that, how many of the forum members can say they have proven their documented top end speed).

If I could pull as much power form my 2017 GS as I did from my 2013 GS by only installing a CAI, BB headers, X-pipes, and mufflers. The 2013 GS was advertised to have 430 HP at the crank and after the exhaust changes, it dyno'd at 430 HP at the rear wheels. If the 2017 GS dyno'd at 460 at the rear wheels, then I could run with most of the standard Z06. The GS is a much more balanced car than the Z06 and the Z06 can not get all that power to the pavement as well as the GS. Yes the Z06 top end speed approaches 200 mph, but why pay for something you will never use.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

No regrets getting my GS. It's also a Z07 package. Most of the time it's taking me to work and back so more HP and less MPG just didn't make sense. I'm much more of a fan of the handling part of the car anyways.

I also definitely could've had the option of a lesser equipped Z06 for the price of my GS/3LT/Z07.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2017 GS M7, no regrets, it's got plenty to get you in trouble with!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:04 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Enjoy your Grand Sport and don't look back. You have a great car. Explore its limits.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 09-08-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 AM
65h/ddelete
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
So I own a fantastic 2017 Grand Sport with the ZO7 package. I love it, but always in the back of my mind I question if I should have bought the ZO6. I know ZO6 owners will chime in and I know your car has so much power, which I wonder if I need or will ever use? I am 58 years old and definitely don't track the car and do not drive as fast as I used to. My question to current Grand Sport owners is, if you are plenty happy enough with performance and acceleration? Handling wise, I know the car is great! Do any of you regret not buying the ZO6? Maybe it is my ego and I have not completely opened my Grand Sport up, but I am guessing at my age and not taking the car to the track, this car should to do more then satisfy me. Please other owners who are fast drivers and love performance give me your true, honest, opinions. Thank you...also my last Corvette was a 2102 ZO6... Thank you in advance and looking forward to your responses( I will get killed by ZO6 owners so that is why I need Grand Sort owners to answer . Unfortunately where I live the only time you can feel the true power of your car in the busy city is at 2 in the morning or on the way To Las Vegas . However, maybe my ego is getting the better of me to know I have that extra power in the ZO6. Hoping Grand Sport owners will tell me you have more the plenty of power to give you that adrenaline rush and not worth the extra money! Thanks again!
I have a 2017 Grand Sport and contemplated on getting the Z06 package, but the dealer more or less talked me out of it stating that what I got has enough power. There really isn't anywhere around where I live that I can WOT. And for the money difference, to me it really wasn't worth it. I am very happy with what I bought. But still wish that I would have gotten it. Because I like power...... Hope you are happy with whatever one you get.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

If your a power freak and/or track your car, the Z in the route to go. With that said, the GS also has more power than most can handle. Where ya gonna go, unless it's at the track, to get the full potential of either car, staying legal that is. IMO, the GS is the ideal car.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Buying a Corvette makes no sense at all! It is not a practical car and really has limited funtional use.

So why did we all buy one?

If you truly answer that question then the only reason you did not go with the Z is you did not want to spend the extra $$$!!! Thats the bottom line!

Corvette are bought to impress, other folks, ones ego, celebrate success and make a statement. You want to make the boldest statement or be the second dog in line where the view never change?!?

Based on comments on here when they come out with the 4 cyl. versions sales should be brisk.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm glad I ordered a GS instead of a Z06. I don't plan on tracking the car, and even if I did, I'd still probably get a GS so I don't end up doing 2 laps and going into limp mode on the Z06. I'm sure the power is intoxicating on the Z06, but when pushing limits, every video review I've watched comparing the GS to the Z06, the professional testers say the GS hits the 'sweet spot' of handing versus brute horsepower. Many of the testers spoke of how nervous and twitchy the Z06 is when pushing it. They also said the GS is more fun to drive when pushing it. I'm glad I ordered what I did, and even if one day I decided I needed more power, I could put a blower on it and still be cheaper than a Z06. Be happy with your car, it's a world-class sportscar that can rival the performance of cars that cost twice the price of yours!
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (11-17-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Honestly the GS is a great Corvette one of the best but this thread sounds more like a justification for not owning a Z06. Pretty soon their will be a ZR1 and it will be a better C7 than the Z06 but you will not here me come on here and tell everyone why I wouldn't want a ZR1 because the Z06 hits the sweet spot.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
No regrets getting my GS. It's also a Z07 package. Most of the time it's taking me to work and back so more HP and less MPG just didn't make sense. I'm much more of a fan of the handling part of the car anyways.

I also definitely could've had the option of a lesser equipped Z06 for the price of my GS/3LT/Z07.
This I also would rather have a loaded GS/3LT/Z07 than a stripped down 1LZ Z06!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I am actually surprised at the number of these type of threads. People buying a GS then coming on here seeking validation that they made the right choice. For me, the reviews made me steer towards a GS, plus the many instances of overheating and limp-mode on the Z06's on-track, but I also knew I wasn't going to track my Corvette, so for me it was not a difficult decision. I've probably done 4,000 miles at VIR over the last 10 years as a motorcycle racing-school instructor, so going 150 mph in a car is nowhere near as fun or exciting as going 175 mph on a motorcycle. Totally different experience.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Honestly the GS is a great Corvette one of the best but this thread sounds more like a justification for not owning a Z06. Pretty soon their will be a ZR1 and it will be a better C7 than the Z06 but you will not here me come on here and tell everyone why I wouldn't want a ZR1 because the Z06 hits the sweet spot.
Owning a Z06 is not the end all, be all. Some Z06 owners seem to think that ALL corvette owners are just envious of them and that is just not the case.

Some owners (insert my name here) are just not fans of forced induction engines. I have owned two supercharged cars and just didn't care for them. Personal preference is all. I love Corvettes and if I enjoyed supercharged Corvettes more than naturally aspirated ones, I would have simply bought the C7 Z06.

Plenty of Porsche owner discussions about air cooled vs water cooled engines and non-turbo vs turbo equipped cars etc. Same thing going on here.

The OP wanted to know from us GS owners if we were happy with the "performance & acceleration" and "do we regret not buying the Z06". Seems most are very satisfied and a few were not sure, so far.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:09 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

It's just your ego. Nothing wrong with the GS as it's a fantastic car. I myself went with the Z06 Knowing I'd get bored with the power level and want to add more myself and voiding the warranty. At least with the Z06 there is a chance it's enough. Both cars are stupid fast for the street though.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Owned Both

Earlier this year I traded a 2015 Z06 with the Z07 package for 2017 Grand Sport. I did not track my Z06, and don't see a big difference between the two. I traded because my new Grand Sport is a convertible and the Z06 was not.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:43 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by a66bbvet

If I could pull as much power form my 2017 GS as I did from my 2013 GS by only installing a CAI, BB headers, X-pipes, and mufflers. The 2013 GS was advertised to have 430 HP at the crank and after the exhaust changes, it dyno'd at 430 HP at the rear wheels. If the 2017 GS dyno'd at 460 at the rear wheels, then I could run with most of the standard Z06. The GS is a much more balanced car than the Z06 and the Z06 can not get all that power to the pavement as well as the GS. Yes the Z06 top end speed approaches 200 mph, but why pay for something you will never use.
The beginning of this quote is delusional for anumber of reasons if you think a bolt on Lt1 is running with a C7 Z06. The LT1 without a power adder or having a stroked rotating assembly in addition to extensive heads and cam isnt making up the difference.. besides not running like a stock car until you want the power like the LT4.

secondly and I've said this plenty in other threads I was in the same boat you are Opie only about 14 years younger and the one thing I know is that I would definitely be modifying an LT1. They are barely quicker than my LS3 C6 I wanted a real jump so I would have put a procharger on a C7 by the time you're done doing that and throwing a wide body kit on there now you just have a modified C7 worth less than a ZO6 with no warranty so what's the point?

if you like to put your foot down and get that Rush you get the ZO6 after a year of ownership with this car I am actually used the power no one where I can use it what gear and RPM to choose and it's not at all the scary experience. The worst thing would be for you to get the LT1 Grand Sport and in 6 months you disgusted by the fact that the car is over engineered for the power and then you have to gamble with your warranty?

you could always send it to Callaway? Or something like that but what's the point I say don't get to see 06 the less they sell the more valuable these cars will be down the road in the second-hand Market LOL but as a Corvette brother I have to tell you I think you'll make a huge mistake if you like the power of your relatives C7 ZO6 when you drove it. Nice to know it's there if you want it.

can't make up for it later (without big $$$$$$ and consequences like your warranty and engineered reliability).

anyone else here get used to the power of their C7 ZO6 after a while compared to an LT1 or LS3?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Up until 10 years ago I was into drag racing. Bought new cars and modded the heck out of them. CTS-Vs, Ford Lightnings, Firehawk's, Camaro's, even built a Grand Prix GTX wilth just over 500 hp out of the 3.8L. Back in the day, I campaigned cars in SS/D and M/P. I also crewed for Stavola Bros in Winston Cup. So you could say I'm a hp and racing junkie.

Bought a '15 Z51. Loved it. Had plenty of go. Wife asked me to get a different color, and we got a '17 GS. Could have easily gone with a Z.

Here was my logic. If I was still into drag racing, I would have purchased a Z - because that's (to ME) where a Z really shines over a GS. Well, maybe 2 additional areas where (to ME) a Z outshines a GS: stop light wars (and I've outgrown that); and bragging rights (I don't care about that - outgrew that too). But if someone is into drag racing, stoplight wars, or bragging rights, or just plain wants the higher hp car, the Z (and upcoming ZR1) is the way to go. Either is a great curvy track car.

I don't regret getting the GS one bit for the above reasons. Shoot, the GS is an 11.XX, 3.X car that can get you into trouble just a tiny split second slower than a Z. For ME, on the street, what's the point?

That said, I really like and respect all C7 choices - colors, options, etc. I'll never try to paint my preferences on what others should choose, and do all I can to help them enjoy the choices they make.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Buying a Corvette makes no sense at all! It is not a practical car and really has limited funtional use.

So why did we all buy one?

If you truly answer that question then the only reason you did not go with the Z is you did not want to spend the extra $$$!!! Thats the bottom line!

Corvette are bought to impress, other folks, ones ego, celebrate success and make a statement. You want to make the boldest statement or be the second dog in line where the view never change?!?

Based on comments on here when they come out with the 4 cyl. versions sales should be brisk.
So buy the 24 oz. steak when all you'll eat is 16 oz., why? If someone is not going to or is not capable of using it it's not a wise purchase...Unless they're insecure and are buying it to "impress" others.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-08-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Owners Question....

Old 09-08-2017, 06:11 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

In the end a sports car is an emotional purchase not a logical one, if we bought these things depending on how practical they were, we would all be driving civics. Go with what your heard and wallet tells you. Namaste
The following users liked this post:
GregNYC (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't recall anyone here saying one was better that the other... The OP asked quite clearly "Did any GS owner regret their purchase
Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 PM
LeManscoupe05
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

i love my 2017 Grand Sport. I own a 2009 Z06. I just love naturally aspirated engines.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Owners Question....