Sponsored by:

Tires for C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM
trends2000
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tires for C7

so ... the guy at Tires Plus says:" I can't put those Firehawk Indy 500 tires on your car".
WHY?
" they're summer only tires".
YES I KNOW THEY ARE. SUMMER ONLY IS STANDARD ON THE CAR
"ok . but they're not run flats"
AND??
"if I install them, it voids the warranty because it's a safety issue"
YOU'VE LOST ME ON THIS ONE. YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE TPS AND RECONNECT WITH NEW TIRES.
"well, if you have a flat, I have to come get you and fix it. It happened to me once when I installed non run flats"

So I turn to the guys who I trust for an answer before debating this issue with ANY tire store or go to my dealer tech. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's ... high performance summer only NON run flats. ANYONE have them OR other NON run flats with issue on install? If there was an issue, they wouldn't sell them to us ..right ???

As always, thanks for replies
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by trends2000
so ... the guy at Tires Plus says:" I can't put those Firehawk Indy 500 tires on your car".
WHY?
AND??
YOU'VE LOST ME ON THIS ONE. YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE TPS AND RECONNECT WITH NEW TIRES.
"well, if you have a flat, I have to come get you and fix it. It happened to me once when I installed non run flats"

So I turn to the guys who I trust for an answer before debating this issue with ANY tire store or go to my dealer tech. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's ... high performance summer only NON run flats. ANYONE have them OR other NON run flats with issue on install? If there was an issue, they wouldn't sell them to us ..right ???

I tried to buy a set for my C6Z last week and told they did not make them anymore. Maybe they just dont make the size i needed?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

WHY?
AND??

You would think that people that work at these places that only sell tires know everything there is to know about their products, but they don't and are still learning. They're so use to dealing with your standard passenger vehicles, mini-vans, and pick-up trucks all day, they have no clue on the performance car nuances.

There are many C7 Corvettes out there that are no longer running on OEM "run-flat" tires and are either just taking their chances on the fact they are stuck (get a tow or remove the tire at the scene to get it fixed/replaced) if they get a flat OR they have purchased the "fix-a-flat" system like what comes in the 2010+ Camaro (my 2011 SS had it) should an emergency occur. It's a system used to put air in the tire to see if the tire will hold air long enough to get it to where you can get the tire repaired, but if that doesn't work, you can then use the repair portion that will gum-up the inside of the tire and will likely force you into purchasing a new tire and TPMS. (See link below)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Chevrolet-Cam...805/1525257276

Good luck!!

Last edited by monicatomokc; 09-18-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

My wifes car (Regal GS) came with P Zero's (not a run-flat) from the factory without a spare. They gave us a slime and pump kit.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is what I put on my 2014 C7 when the OME run-craps were showing the bars at 18K miles. Have 26K on these, and, many more miles left on these . Plus, they a) handle better, b) are quieter, and c) you can do a wheel lock turn without any "hopping".

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
(451)
| Reviews (418)
Consumer Recommended
Tire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
BFGOODRICH
G-FORCE COMP-2 A/SUltra High Performance All-Season

Front: 245/40ZR18 97Y XL
UTQG: 400 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire:

$143.30
Availability: In Stock
How soon can I get this?
See Shipping Cost

Rear: 285/35ZR19 103Y XL

Qty:
Per Tire:

$249.40
Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Most tire store chains won't install non-runflat tires on a car that was originally equipped with runflats. It's presumably a liability issue.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:26 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by chronage
Most tire store chains won't install non-runflat tires on a car that was originally equipped with runflats. It's presumably a liability issue.

Many places around here (SE VA) Have that policy.

Others will not sell a run flat if they don't have a caged mounting machine.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have never had a tire store refuse to mount any tire on any wheel that I offered up. I have replaced runflats on my Mini Cooper S with upsized non-runflats several times as well as replacing the tires on my Z51 C7 with non-runflat MSS's with the rear being upsized one size. I have new set of replacement non-runflat MSS's on the way that have an additional upsize in the rear that I will have a local America's Tire mount for me in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:17 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

WHY?
AND??

You know, the problem is that there are so few graceful ways to say to someone, "On the evidence, you are dumber than a rock."

Of course, in real life I would only think the above. Instead I would either go somewhere else or ask to see the manager (and if this guy is the manager, I would be selling any stock I owned in Tires Plus).

Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

HDBADDOG55: Here is what I put on my 2014 C7 when the OME run-craps were showing the bars at 18K miles. Have 26K on these, and, many more miles left on these . Plus, they a) handle better, b) are quieter, and c) you can do a wheel lock turn without any "hopping".

When my run craps crapped out on my C5 I put a set of Nitto 555's and then on my C6 when the run craps crapped out I put a set of Nitto INVO's and was very happy with both sets of tires. However I've been wondering how the BFG's were. You're the first C7 Corvette owner that I can ask how they were. But one thing you didn't say is how is their "wet" traction. I live in Florida and when it rains, it pours. The INVO's were better wet rated than all the others. Just asking?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Get a can of slime for holes. If you have any bigger damage you are generally screwed with either type of tire. A lot of places out west won't even change a run flat tire and if your Vette is not the base model you are generally screwed waiting for either to come in. On my C6 I had a tire shop and the dealer replace run flats with non run flats.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM
trends2000
Racer

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
Here is what I put on my 2014 C7 when the OME run-craps were showing the bars at 18K miles. Have 26K on these, and, many more miles left on these . Plus, they a) handle better, b) are quieter, and c) you can do a wheel lock turn without any "hopping".

(451)
| Reviews (418)
Consumer Recommended
Tire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
BFGOODRICH
G-FORCE COMP-2 A/SUltra High Performance All-Season

Front: 245/40ZR18 97Y XL

Qty:
Per Tire:

$143.30
Availability: In Stock
How soon can I get this?
See Shipping Cost

Rear: 285/35ZR19 103Y XL

Qty:
Per Tire:

$249.40

THANKS ..had the G Force on another Corvette and liked them. Still considering them and Firehawks . SO MANY good ones that Club and Forum members like
Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM
trends2000
Racer

hi everyone .. as ALWAYS, I appreciate feedback. I'll stick with the idea of the non run flats; use suggestions for "emergency" scenario . Also, I have roadside assist with insurance carrier and will have road hazard insurance included on tires ($13 per tire). I'll make one more attempt with Tires Plus but have dealer ready to install Even though it's approximately $120 more on final price.
FYI… My homework is as follows for set of FOUR tires:

Michelin super sports run flat installed at Costco including shipping and tax $1125

Michelin super sports RF from Tire Rack including shipping and tax $1157 plus dealer install = $1357 ( Road hazard included)

Firehawk Indy 500 NON RF fromTire Rack including shipping and tax $739 plus dealer install equals $959 ( Road hazard included)

Fire Hawk Indy 500 NON RF from Tires Plus including shipping and tax and installation and add road hazard equals $855
(the G Force was great price too at @ $950 )

Michelin has a $70 rebate that I do not see matched on Firestone. If nothing available with Firestone, the price differential at its lowest is a $200 savings using the FireHawks. I like the performance numbers for both dry and wet as well as comfort level where reviews give it a bump over the run flats. I realize that anyone of these tires are excellent and many people including members of my club will recommend severely against going with anything other than the Michelin's which I appreciate. My experience with four models of Corvettes over 20 years is like many of you saying that other brands
have their benefits too. So, in this case, the $200 difference is not dramatic enough to use as the sole criteria to make a decision. It's why I asked for Forum input. There is enough feedback to make me feel comfortable going with the non-run flats. Thanks again
Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

hi everyone .. as ALWAYS, I appreciate feedback. I'll stick with the idea of the non run flats; use suggestions for "emergency" scenario . Also, I have roadside assist with insurance carrier and will have road hazard insurance included on tires ($13 per tire). I'll make one more attempt with Tires Plus but have dealer ready to install Even though it's approximately $120 more on final price.
FYI… My homework is as follows for set of FOUR tires:

Michelin super sports run flat installed at Costco including shipping and tax $1125

Michelin super sports RF from Tire Rack including shipping and tax $1157 plus dealer install = $1357 ( Road hazard included)

Firehawk Indy 500 NON RF fromTire Rack including shipping and tax $739 plus dealer install equals $959 ( Road hazard included)

Fire Hawk Indy 500 NON RF from Tires Plus including shipping and tax and installation and add road hazard equals $855
(the G Force was great price too at @ $950 )

Michelin has a $70 rebate that I do not see matched on Firestone. If nothing available with Firestone, the price differential at its lowest is a $200 savings using the FireHawks. I like the performance numbers for both dry and wet as well as comfort level where reviews give it a bump over the run flats. I realize that anyone of these tires are excellent and many people including members of my club will recommend severely against going with anything other than the Michelin's which I appreciate. My experience with four models of Corvettes over 20 years is like many of you saying that other brands
have their benefits too. So, in this case, the $200 difference is not dramatic enough to use as the sole criteria to make a decision. It's why I asked for Forum input. There is enough feedback to make me feel comfortable going with the non-run flats. Thanks again
The new and improved version of the Pilot Super Sports are the Pilot PS4. (The name "PS4" is short for Pilot Sport 4th edition)

I replaced the OEMs with the Pilot PS4s (non-run flats) a few weeks ago. They are fantastic!!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:55 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I buy my tires from Discount Tires !! Go down to a store or the internet to see what's available !!! Wayne
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
My wifes car (Regal GS) came with P Zero's (not a run-flat) from the factory without a spare. They gave us a slime and pump kit.
Same here, bought my wife a new 2016 Cadillac XTS and we get Slime and an air pump, with non-run flat Goodyear tires...
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,406 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I've always used non runflats on my Corvettes since 2001. I always carry a small air compressor, plug kit and a can of slime. When on long distance trips I also take my aluminum floor jack and breaker bar with 19mm socket and torque wrench.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for C7

Quick Reply: Tires for C7