Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Claybar on a new C7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

If you want truly "perfect" paint, the place to start is not with the factory paint job (unless the new facility does MUCH better than I've ever seen). LOTS of hand work along the way that the factory will never ever do!
Old 12-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Not sure what your point is, but it's obvious that once factory-painted, there's nothing anyone can do to make it "perfect" without completely starting from scratch. That means body panel removal, strip down to bare panels, smoothing of those panels, base coat application followed by wet-sanding and polish, and then clear-coat application followed by wet-sanding and polish.

That would be insane to do on a C7, and it's only seen on megabuck, limited production cars, as well as custom, show cars, and valuable restorations. If you're going to spend the money to do that, better put it on display and rarely/never drive it.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-25-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
If you want truly "perfect" paint, the place to start is not with the factory paint job (unless the new facility does MUCH better than I've ever seen). LOTS of hand work along the way that the factory will never ever do!
I bet if someone really wanted a perfect show car finish it would cost at least $25,000, if not more since it would involve many hours of wet sanding in between each coat of paint applied (and many coats would be needed) There was an article in Road and Track (or Car and Driver) many years ago about a guy who was regarded to do the best paint jobs in the country, and I believe he charged $100,000 and would work on one car at a time and the entire process would take around six months.

Quick Reply: Claybar on a new C7?