Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Got The Warble

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 AM
CFeria
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would like to chime in and mention I too have the dreaded warble sound, 2018 A8 2Lt with 1600miles. Hate to take car to dealer since I just got it and love driving it! Its a shame too, its a 60+k car with these issues!

So when I do take it in I should just mention car has "Warble?"
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Can someone post the time marks from the video when the sound is most apparent?

Thx
Old 10-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As the originator of the video, you can go to YouTube and see the video which I have notated the points in the video which are most noticeable . You have to go directly to YouTube to see the note I attached to the description.

You can do a search on YouTube by putting in WARBLE ...... you will see it right there.

I was in a hurry to get something out. The video wasn't even a great example of the WARBLE but it took off. The video was viewed by GM exec mgmt as it was sent to Mary Barra the CEO of GM. My phone rang the following day.......

Last edited by Strake; 10-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Strake:
corvetteflier (10-01-2017), Highplains (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Guys I was the author of the original WARBLE post on my base A8 stingray and it pains me that GM is still turning out cars with this annoying sound coming from the rear end. I have a friend in N.C. that had a warbler and his noise went away for a time and came back big time. They ordered a new rear end and he pushed for a replacement car and last I heard they were in the process to do just that. He had to go through BBB to get any results as i did. If the dealership gives you the run around go through the BBB as outlined in your warranty booklet, guarantee you will get results. I too think this post should be combined with the original post. Good luck to all.
The following 3 users liked this post by bjones7131:
Highplains (10-01-2017), stillcrazy (04-28-2018), Strake (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Pretty pathetic that GM is still producing cars with this issue. Then they blame it on the supplier. Very disappointing.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Warble Fixed

I too had the warble noise. I had a Chevrolet customer service rep send me a private email with a case number. It was in the winter time so I didn't get a chance to use the case number (I guess they gave up waiting). I either got a new number case number or activated the old case number. I went to the dealer with the case number and a link to a couple of the warble noise threads in this forum. I had the shop foreman ride with me, and he was able to hear it right away. I left it with the dealer for a day or two. The dealer worked with GM, and after listening to specific areas in the rear with a stethoscope, the shop foreman ordered me a new complete rear. They even verified for me that it had the new ring/pinion set in it. New rear as been on about 1000 miles and no warble. Weird though, sometimes my mind still expects to hear it, but it doesn't.

Last edited by dash7510; 10-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dash7510
I too had the warble noise. I had a Chevrolet customer service rep send me a private email with a case number. It was in the winter time so I didn't get a chance to use the case number (I guess they gave up waiting). I either got a new number case number or activated the old case number. I went to the dealer with the case number and a link to a couple of the warble noise threads in this forum. I had the shop foreman ride with me, and he was able to hear it right away. I left it with the dealer for a day or two. The dealer worked with GM, and after listening to specific areas in the rear with a stethoscope, the shop foreman ordered me a new complete rear. They even verified for me that it had the new ring/pinion set in it. New rear as been on about 1000 miles and no warble. Weird though, sometimes my mind still expects to hear it, but it doesn't.
You need to name your dealer. I've read about and talked with too many folks who get nothing more than B.S. from dealers who apparently just do not want to take the time to verify the problem with GM or do the work required. Your dealer did the right thing. If I had to have contended with the issue as long as some people, I'd drive across the USA for your dealer. I was lucky. After firing off an email to Mary Barra, GM CEO, I got instant action and cooperation. My dealer was Davis-Moore of Wichita, Kansas. They were quick to acknowledge the problem existed even before I wrote Ms. Barra. Their problem initially was no information from GM and they simply didn't know what to do. Once GM got off their butts, things went quite well and quickly. I've always wondered if GM just hoped that the, "They all do it." line would keep working.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Pretty pathetic that GM is still producing cars with this issue. Then they blame it on the supplier. Very disappointing.
Randall,

In fairness to GM, they buy the differential to their spec as a purchased assembly. If it's out of tolerance to the design spec, or assembled incorrectly, why wouldn't they go back to their supplier?

I agree that it's very disappointing that cars are still getting produced this way, as it's been 11 months since my car went back for tear known analysis.

When I met with the Corvette Brand Quality Mgr @ Carlisle he said they were still having issues with that supplier taking ownership of the problem. He was the key individual who wanted my car back to Detroit to use as the root cause / corrective action vehicle. He immediately remembered who I was as quickly as I told him my name.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by Strake
Randall,

In fairness to GM, they buy the differential to their spec as a purchased assembly. If it's out of tolerance to the design spec, or assembled incorrectly, why wouldn't they go back to their supplier?

I agree that it's very disappointing that cars are still getting produced this way, as it's been 11 months since my car went back for tear known analysis.

When I met with the Corvette Brand Quality Mgr @ Carlisle he said they were still having issues with that supplier taking ownership of the problem. He was the key individual who wanted my car back to Detroit to use as the root cause / corrective action vehicle. He immediately remembered who I was as quickly as I told him my name.
Ditto to that, Strake. The Corvette Quality Control manager really made things happen for me. Hell of a guy.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Strake
Randall,

How do I contact the Corvette Brand Quality Manager directly? I prefer not to go through my dealer. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:40 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

You can contact customer service, but I believe all services will go through your dealer. Find one recommended in the forums in your area to get the case established....if you want to get it fixed. Once you get the case established, then escalate up...but should give the dealer the first shot.

Last edited by mountainears; 10-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
How do I contact the Corvette Brand Quality Manager directly? I prefer not to go through my dealer. Thanks.
Unfortunately, I cannot tell you this. He has requested his name and contact information not be released. The only reason a few of us know it is that he was working directly with us in trying to find the problem. If you would like, I can send him your name and phone number, your chosen dealer and his phone number, the VIN and anything else you'd like him to know. PM this info to me. After that, it's up to him about what happens.

Last edited by Highplains; 10-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Thanks Pete....... you beat me to the punch.

Richard
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
You need to name your dealer. I've read about and talked with too many folks who get nothing more than B.S. from dealers who apparently just do not want to take the time to verify the problem with GM or do the work required. Your dealer did the right thing. If I had to have contended with the issue as long as some people, I'd drive across the USA for your dealer. I was lucky. After firing off an email to Mary Barra, GM CEO, I got instant action and cooperation. My dealer was Davis-Moore of Wichita, Kansas. They were quick to acknowledge the problem existed even before I wrote Ms. Barra. Their problem initially was no information from GM and they simply didn't know what to do. Once GM got off their butts, things went quite well and quickly. I've always wondered if GM just hoped that the, "They all do it." line would keep working.
The dealer that took care of me for my warble problem was,
PETERSON CHEVROLET BUICK CADILLAC
12300 WEST FAIRVIEW BOISE, ID 83713.
This dealer messed up my first oil change a little. However, when I brought it in for my 2nd free oil change and for this warble noise, I politely let them know my previous experience. That is why I got the shop foreman to help me. No issues with my last experience. I even jacked the car up and double checked their work. All was and is good.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 PM
TucsonJer
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Good news! Got a phone call yesterday from the dealership I bought my 2017 LT1 Stingray from. It’s been two weeks since I gave them all the information that you all posted on this thread to help me. They informed me that they ordered the parts to take care of my “warble” problem and they will contact me as soon as they come in so I can bring the car in. As soon as everything is finished I’ll post the result. Thanks to everyone. Jer
Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I have 23,000+ miles on my 2016 Z51 auto and my car is not making the warble sound but just started to make a sound more like a "rattlesnake" at 1500 rpm in V4 mode only. Has anyone experienced this sound and found the cause? The car drives fine but the sound is getting annoying. At first I said it sounded like if you put small beads in a hollow tube and tilted the tube back and forth but when I let a friend hear it, he said rattlesnake sound and that hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TucsonJer
Good news! Got a phone call yesterday from the dealership I bought my 2017 LT1 Stingray from. It’s been two weeks since I gave them all the information that you all posted on this thread to help me. They informed me that they ordered the parts to take care of my “warble” problem and they will contact me as soon as they come in so I can bring the car in. As soon as everything is finished I’ll post the result. Thanks to everyone. Jer
Good for U, glad your dealer did the right thing and didn't give you the run around. Let us know how it turns out.
BJ

Get notified of new replies

To I Got The Warble

Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by direct007
I have 23,000+ miles on my 2016 Z51 auto and my car is not making the warble sound but just started to make a sound more like a "rattlesnake" at 1500 rpm in V4 mode only. Has anyone experienced this sound and found the cause? The car drives fine but the sound is getting annoying. At first I said it sounded like if you put small beads in a hollow tube and tilted the tube back and forth but when I let a friend hear it, he said rattlesnake sound and that hit the nail on the head.
Drive in M mode with paddles and see if the noise goes away. Does the sound come from motor end or rear end? Could be tensioner. New one on me but it could be the TC but never heard of it making a rattle snake sound only feels like running over the drunk bumps in the road. Good luck finding the issue.
BJ
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 12:37 PM
C7rob
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Not just base models

My 2016 Z06 has that same warble sound. It happens just as everyone describes while foot is on the gas lightly. Just wanted you to know that even if we have different differentials it can have the same problem. Love this car however!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7rob
My 2016 Z06 has that same warble sound. It happens just as everyone describes while foot is on the gas lightly. Just wanted you to know that even if we have different differentials it can have the same problem. Love this car however!
First Z i heard off. Hope u get it fixed soon
BJ

Quick Reply: I Got The Warble