My Z06 has a strange, hard to describe noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts
Default My Z06 has a strange, hard to describe noise

My Z06 has a strange hard to describe noise, it occurs between 30mph and 80mph, presumably it does it at higher speeds but I haven't checked. If I apply the accelerator under light engine load, just enough to maintain the current speed on a flat road and then let off the accelerator there will sometimes be a groaning sound under the car.
My wife describes it as a cross between sounding like a twig or branch is being dragged by the car and someone clearing his through in a library.

I'd put money on a wager of what the dealer will say if I bring it to them so I'm hoping someone here can make a suggestion based on this limited description. Perhaps there is a TSB someone is aware of that I can pass along to the dealer. The sound to me sounds like it is coming from a u-joint in the drive shaft but this car doesn't have that, does it?

I tried recording it but ambient sounds are picked up the same by my phone making isolating the sound very difficult. I'm going to see if I can use some software I have to clean it up and isolate the sound.

I'm open to any input that I can pass along to the dealer in an effort to aid them in looking for the source.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
My Z06 has a strange hard to describe noise, it occurs between 30mph and 80mph, presumably it does it at higher speeds but I haven't checked. If I apply the accelerator under light engine load, just enough to maintain the current speed on a flat road and then let off the accelerator there will sometimes be a groaning sound under the car.
My wife describes it as a cross between sounding like a twig or branch is being dragged by the car and someone clearing his through in a library.

I'd put money on a wager of what the dealer will say if I bring it to them so I'm hoping someone here can make a suggestion based on this limited description. Perhaps there is a TSB someone is aware of that I can pass along to the dealer. The sound to me sounds like it is coming from a u-joint in the drive shaft but this car doesn't have that, does it?

I tried recording it but ambient sounds are picked up the same by my phone making isolating the sound very difficult. I'm going to see if I can use some software I have to clean it up and isolate the sound.

I'm open to any input that I can pass along to the dealer in an effort to aid them in looking for the source.
Probably a transmission problem, I'd suspect, especially if it's an A8. I would definitely get it checked out at the dealer. And maybe do a test drive with the service manager in the car to be sure they are hearing it themselves.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Do you have an 8A? If so, then possibly a tranny or maybe an eDif problem, but it could also be the more common shutter issue involving the AFM. I suspect the latter.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:54 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I do have the A8.

I tried having the dealer diagnose another issue with the trans but they brushed my concern aside as unverifiable.

That issue is still present and seems more pronounced as the weather cools, the delayed engagement from P to R or D after sitting overnight. There is a TSB for it but they won't perform it because they haven't duplicated the concern.

This noise doesn't have any discernible vibration or feel to it making it hard to tell where it originates but I get the sense it is middle or rearward of the drivers position.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

What setting are you using for engine sound management (the NPP exhaust)? In sport or track mode you may have the exhaust flow valves for the "straight through" exhaust pipe shutting off as you transition on and off throttle and one of the valves may be dragging causing the noise. These same valves are used with the Z06 to avoid the horrible exhaust note caused by a V8 operating in V4 mode and one of the few ways to reliably put a Z06 into V4 mode is to coast down or use very light throttle slowing from a higher speed which may be happening under the conditions you described.

Try setting it to stealth mode, go to vehicle settings, engine sound management which leaves the exhaust flow control valves shut under almost all conditions and see if that sound goes away.

Note that these are the NPP valves, the Z06 doesn't have the other valves used in some versions of the C7 to control the exhaust sound in V4 mode as they would get cooked by the exhaust heat from the Z06 running on the track.

Last edited by NSC5; 10-01-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZenicaPA (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:16 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

↑ I was in Touring mode and had the coolant temp showing in the center so I don't recall seeing V4. I have my exhaust locked to Track mode. I'll change the settings as you suggest for a test drive and see.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

not the trans. its a valve in exhaust or possibly the belt tensioner something along those lines. just completed a 200 mi round trip journey today. Z06 went into V4 mode 1x for about 3 seconds. these cars don't go into V4 unless your peddling along at 55. the LT1 (as does my Sierra with 8spd) goes into V4 all the time. annoying.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-01-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

A few days ago I thought I saw you mention that you had not heard of Steve, the Corvette Tech at Bryner. From what I've read about him, he's excellent. I can't diagnose it but maybe he can.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 AM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's the link to the thread with my hard to describe noise:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-question.html

Per reply #3, first link, it was the AFM 4/8 cylinder deactivation tensioner belt that caused my noise. Dealer replaced, and all is well now.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-afm-1357.html

Last edited by cvwb; 10-02-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

@NSC5

The noise is there, even with the changes you suggested.

I have a service appointment to bring it in. Not being skeptical, just realistic. I KNOW what they will do/say. I may have to try another dealer as AORoads suggested.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 AM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Since you have a auto it may be the AFM, the v4 sounds awful and can make the car sound like it has issues. You can always get the Range AFM disabler if you want to disable AFM.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm reluctant to connect anything or do anything which may afford GM an avenue to block my warranty. Even for the purpose of testing the devices ability to eliminate the issue.
Another thing I can do to see if it is the V4 mode, place the gear select in M as that disables V4 mode.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I know exactly what it is; it's the exhaust reflection noise from the Mustangs and P-cars trailing along behind you !! You can spot it easily if you look for the red faces in your mirrors
tom

Get notified of new replies

To My Z06 has a strange, hard to describe noise

Quick Reply: My Z06 has a strange, hard to describe noise