Sponsored by:

First Detailing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts
Default First Detailing!

Detailed my 2017 GS Vert for the first time today!!!!

Didn't start off well as I quickly notice my carwash bucket had a crack in the bottom as soon as I got it all soaped and filled.

It's an interesting process washing a car for the first time. Some thoughts, observations and questions!
  • Discovering all the area that you have to keep wiping (rocker skirts, beneath doors, under rear lights, under mirrors, WHEELS etc).
  • Car wasn't too bad, but those wheel and red calipers were murder.
  • What kind of wheel cleaner do you guys/girls find works the best, and is it safe for the paint on the calipers?
  • I was also surprised how little water got under the hood from vent etc. wiping off only took minutes.
  • I'm most definitely need to get a blower, at least for the wheels as takes a tremendous amount of time drying them. Any suggestions as to which? I expect a very light electric would be best?
  • Not one single drip of water on the interior, WOW that's a first in my dozens of years washing convertibles.
  • Of course the rotors rusted up, but just applied the breaks 'slightly' while pulling car back into garage and those huge Bremo calipers instantly wiped them clean.
My future son-in-law bought me a California Duster, any have experience with those?

Anyone have any interesting carwash stories to share?

Thank you in advance for your interest and comments!

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
blkvet6 (10-09-2017), DanZR1 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought a master blaster from Adams last year for our Camaro's which have lots of places for water to weep, but those cars don't "hold water" compared to the Z we just bought. The blaster is a time saver, especially on the side vents and gutter around the lift glass / spoilers.

Product wise we use Adams, on the wheels I use Green Wheel cleaner. Lifts the brake dust and not harmful to the clear. I ceramic coated the wheels on our Hot Wheel Edition Camaro, makes cleaning them exceptionally easy and allows more tools off cleaning. Highly recommend.

California duster I call California Scratcher. My buddy loves his, I had one which I used on my '69 vette years ago, but was washing my cars at that time in my life with Dawn dish soap. No scratchers in my tool box now.

Either way, cleaning day is enjoyable.

Last edited by BuLion; 10-08-2017 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Car looks great! As for blower check out Master Blaster. I have had one for 8 years works Great on wheels and car. I have the 8 hp 2 speed( 4hp or 8hp). Check around when I bought mine I found a vendor offering longer warranty. They also have a Vacuum and Blower combo model. You could always but on up coming Santa's list!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First wash of a new car is always fun for me. I'm a detailing nut, and I feel like that's almost as fun a part of getting to know a new car as the first times driving it. Learning all the nooks and crannies, where the water gets caught, etc.

I have the same wheels, except black. I use my regular 100% cotton wash towels for the outside of the wheel, and use a Speed Master Wheel Brush to clean the barrels and around the calipers (https://www.autogeek.net/daytona-special.html). I just use my regular car wash solution when I wash the car. I use Zaino products. If I'm cleaning the wheels between washes, I'll either just use a damp cloth or quick detailer, depending on how dirty they are.

I also recently ceramic coated the calipers and rims (inside and out, incl. barrels) while I had them off changing the brake pads. I used Gyeon Rim (http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-rim/). The application takes a bit of work, but so far I'm finding them easier to maintain since applying. Especially inside the barrels. Seems like 90-95% of dust/dirt washes off immediately just hitting them with the water hose, just leaves a small amount to hand wash off.

As for a blower...if you don't want to spend the $$$ for a Master Blaster, don't discount a regular electric leaf blower. I've used one for years and it works well. Not saying the Master Blaster might not be better, but it gets the job done.

And on the California Duster. I've used them on an off for years, especially when I was more into car shows, but honestly not a big fan. Anything more than a very light dusting and I worry about scratching the paint. That, and seems like no matter how many times I try to soak the thing on newspaper on even the hottest days, I still find greasy spots on the paint from the dusters coating. Then I have to go back and hit with quick detailer to get that off anyways, so might as well just hit the car with quick detailer instead of bothering with the duster.

Yes...being a car detailing nut could be considered a disease.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:41 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I use a DP Turbo Car Dryer. It is similar to this https://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html and I got it through Autogeek a few years ago for about $50 cheaper. They seem to offer the same or similar products rebranded every few years? I just couldn’t justify the cost of a Master Blaster.
For my wheels I use Wolfgang Uber wheel cleaner. It does a good job with the brake dust. I plan to polish & ceramic coat with the Adams Ceramic Wheel kit over the winter to hopefully make cleaning easier.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 AM
VetteLex
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use my Husqvarna Backpack blower. Save a ton of time drying the car off with that thing.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

I just use Adams detail spray. Have not turned a hose on it yet since we brought it home in June. The wife did get caught out in a very light sprinkle the other day (trying to decide if that is grounds for divorce) and spent about 1hr with the detail spray yesterday.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I use a Bosch GBL 18V-120 Cordless Blower. I have Bosch tools and 4 AH batteries so I decided to get this. Blower has 2 speeds and lasts 36 min on low and 20 min on high with the 4 AH battery. It only weighs 2.5 pounds without the battery and just over 3 with it. The tip is rubber so it shouldn't damage car if you accidentally touch the car with it. Very easy to handle and no cords and no setup or put away time. Takes about 5 - 6 min to dry car, but I always touch it up with a microfiber cloth.

As for dusting the car with a duster, that is a no go for me. I will drive the car dusty or wash it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by c54u; 10-08-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Kevin,

I use a Master Blaster ( the big one) that I bought on Amazon Prime. Love it.... especially great to use in the cold weather, as the hose end gets pretty warm. It has two power switches so you can run it on low, or high. Blows water out of everywhere possible ..... mirrors, wheels, around the license plate, etc. I have it on a 20 amp circuit, and bought a 10 gauge 50 ft extension cord to run it. I've used the Master Blaster for about 3 or 4 years now. I also bought ( after the fact) a wall mounting bracket, so it hangs on the wall.

As for the California Car Duster, I am a big FAN. I've used the one I currently have for about 10 years. DON'T ever wash it. Hold it lightly on the car so the tips of the yarn is just on the car...... don't push it along hard. I do NOT use it on the wheels. I have used Calif dusters since the late 80's on Street Rods, and vettes, even black paint. No scratches. I have a separate Calif wheel duster, which is much smaller, and blue in color. It has a split design to go around both sides of wheel "spokes".

After using the Calif duster, I lightly use Adams Detail Spray with a microfiber cloth. Looks like I just washed the car when finished, even though I may have driven the car for several days.
All of the above positive comments regarding the Calif Duster, etc assumes you have not driven in the rain. If so, wash the car.

Last edited by Strake; 10-08-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

GS Drove home in the Rain (Only rain) 5hrs.from KERBECK.First and only Wash was the next day.Used 2 pale method with Maguire's CW.After 4k Miles washed that one time.
Hand dry lightly MF Heavy Pile towel.Waxed with a wax called 21 something? Link:
Amazon Amazon

Doppler is watched before car exit's the garage.Car has no PPF or Sealer.Got skirts and extenders.2 Paint chips so far.Avoid tailgating and hovering your paint likes that.
After every drive i use Mothers spray on wax.Dampen a MF Towel and inspect bugs,marks etc.Remove all lightly then polish out.
Sit in a old office chair and wheel around the car.Wheels are done every drive with a brush and buff out with MF Towel.My rims are satin finish so clean and no shine.
As for the Duster? Ya need a duster.Unless you cover? I got this delicate duster,Cheap.Just replace when dirty.
Link for example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boardwalk...hite/158763906
All cleaning should be done when paint temps are low as possible.Better in a garage then touch up away from sunshine.

Last edited by DALE#3; 10-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Beautiful GS Kevin.

BTW, I've used a California duster for years. The dirtier it gets seems the better it works. No scratches at all. Remember it's a duster, and not to be used to take heavy dirt off the paint. Before you use just put it on a peace on newspaper for a couple days to get the access paraffin out of the cloth head.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 10-08-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (10-08-2017), Kevin A Jones (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Since you have a vert, be sure and open the trunk when you start drying. There are two wells on either side of the trunk lid that fill up with an amazing amount of water. It takes me one micro-fiber towel on EACH side to dry those out.

I just got a Master Blaster myself, hooked it up and mounted it nice and proper, started to use it and a minute or so later: KABLOOEY! Blew the circuit breaker. Those things draw 19 amps. I had it on a 15 amp breaker. Duh. Found a 20 amp and we'll start over.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:29 PM
capeli
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn’t waste any time in changing out the brake pads to ceramics. Washing the wheels become more of a habit than a necessity. Makes a huge difference.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Nicely done, Kevin.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

For drying I just use the top of my Home Depot Shop Vacum. Just be sure and get the one that's a blower as well. Works great as a blower to dry the car, much better than my backpack gas blower. That's to big and hard to aim. I just put the blower nozzle directly onto the electric motor from the shop vac....easy to handle aim and high velocity. Plus it's a shop vac
Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

My blower of choice is a 120v corded Toro leaf blower. Most powerful thing I've found. I also use an ancient California Water Blade prior to putting the air to it. My California Duster is old and almost black yet works better than ever.

Last edited by vbdenny; 10-08-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Your getting a lot of good suggestions, not much that I could add that hasn't been said. So, I just wanted to say that is a very pretty Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To First Detailing!

Old 10-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by BuLion
I bought a master blaster from Adams last year for our Camaro's which have lots of places for water to weep, but those cars don't "hold water" compared to the Z we just bought. The blaster is a time saver, especially on the side vents and gutter around the lift glass / spoilers.

Product wise we use Adams, on the wheels I use Green Wheel cleaner. Lifts the brake dust and not harmful to the clear. I ceramic coated the wheels on our Hot Wheel Edition Camaro, makes cleaning them exceptionally easy and allows more tools off cleaning. Highly recommend.

California duster I call California Scratcher. My buddy loves his, I had one which I used on my '69 vette years ago, but was washing my cars at that time in my life with Dawn dish soap. No scratchers in my tool box now.

Either way, cleaning day is enjoyable.
I agree enjoyable, even therapeutic!

Originally Posted by DWS44
First wash of a new car is always fun for me. I'm a detailing nut, and I feel like that's almost as fun a part of getting to know a new car as the first times driving it. Learning all the nooks and crannies, where the water gets caught, etc.

I have the same wheels, except black. I use my regular 100% cotton wash towels for the outside of the wheel, and use a Speed Master Wheel Brush to clean the barrels and around the calipers (https://www.autogeek.net/daytona-special.html). I just use my regular car wash solution when I wash the car. I use Zaino products. If I'm cleaning the wheels between washes, I'll either just use a damp cloth or quick detailer, depending on how dirty they are.

I also recently ceramic coated the calipers and rims (inside and out, incl. barrels) while I had them off changing the brake pads. I used Gyeon Rim (http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-rim/). The application takes a bit of work, but so far I'm finding them easier to maintain since applying. Especially inside the barrels. Seems like 90-95% of dust/dirt washes off immediately just hitting them with the water hose, just leaves a small amount to hand wash off.

As for a blower...if you don't want to spend the $$$ for a Master Blaster, don't discount a regular electric leaf blower. I've used one for years and it works well. Not saying the Master Blaster might not be better, but it gets the job done.

And on the California Duster. I've used them on an off for years, especially when I was more into car shows, but honestly not a big fan. Anything more than a very light dusting and I worry about scratching the paint. That, and seems like no matter how many times I try to soak the thing on newspaper on even the hottest days, I still find greasy spots on the paint from the dusters coating. Then I have to go back and hit with quick detailer to get that off anyways, so might as well just hit the car with quick detailer instead of bothering with the duster.

Yes...being a car detailing nut could be considered a disease.
I suppose a regular leaf blower would work, however isn't the discharged air from the Master Blaster and other blowers specifically designed for auto drying heated, therefore much quicker?

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
I use a DP Turbo Car Dryer. It is similar to this https://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html and I got it through Autogeek a few years ago for about $50 cheaper. They seem to offer the same or similar products rebranded every few years? I just couldn’t justify the cost of a Master Blaster.
For my wheels I use Wolfgang Uber wheel cleaner. It does a good job with the brake dust. I plan to polish & ceramic coat with the Adams Ceramic Wheel kit over the winter to hopefully make cleaning easier.
I like this model as it seems more portable than the Master Blaster being you can carry the unit on your back but not quite as powerful.

Originally Posted by Strake
Kevin,

I use a Master Blaster ( the big one) that I bought on Amazon Prime. Love it.... especially great to use in the cold weather, as the hose end gets pretty warm. It has two power switches so you can run it on low, or high. Blows water out of everywhere possible ..... mirrors, wheels, around the license plate, etc. I have it on a 20 amp circuit, and bought a 10 gauge 50 ft extension cord to run it. I've used the Master Blaster for about 3 or 4 years now. I also bought ( after the fact) a wall mounting bracket, so it hangs on the wall.

As for the California Car Duster, I am a big FAN. I've used the one I currently have for about 10 years. DON'T ever wash it. Hold it lightly on the car so the tips of the yarn is just on the car...... don't push it along hard. I do NOT use it on the wheels. I have used Calif dusters since the late 80's on Street Rods, and vettes, even black paint. No scratches. I have a separate Calif wheel duster, which is much smaller, and blue in color. It has a split design to go around both sides of wheel "spokes".

After using the Calif duster, I lightly use Adams Detail Spray with a microfiber cloth. Looks like I just washed the car when finished, even though I may have driven the car for several days.
All of the above positive comments regarding the Calif Duster, etc assumes you have not driven in the rain. If so, wash the car.

I notice the Adams Master Blaster is $50 more than available via Amazon, however has a 30' as compared to a 10', I expect that extra 20' of blower hose would really come in handy. Thanks for the info, I will look forward to using my California Duster.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-09-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've used my California Duster for many years and it still works very well. I just have it lightly touch the car and it picks the dirt right up.
Kevin A Jones (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

I notice the Adams Master Blaster is $50 more than available via Amazon, however has a 30' as compared to a 10', I expect that extra 20' of blower hose would really come in handy. Thanks for the info, I will look forward to using my California Duster.

Thanks for all the helpful info.
Kevin,

While that is a TRUE statement, it's also a problem as the hose is very "stiff" and cumbersome. Not sure I'd want to wrestle with 30 ft of it.

I bought the wall mount bracket and hose hanger after having the Master Blaster about a year. Now the unit hangs on the wall in a corner next to my work bench, about waist high and the "hose hanger" is mounted very high on the wall, about 6" below the ceiling. Now, my 10 ft of hose goes up, and down in a narrow area. No more fighting with the hose.

As for use, I have a 50 ft heavy duty extension cord, and with the 10 ft of blower hose, it's perfect. It wheels around on my driveway just fine. I only pick it up and move it when going to the other side of the car.
Kevin A Jones (10-09-2017)

Quick Reply: First Detailing!