Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient temp and tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Hunter S. Thompson and his Siamoan lawyer recommend setting the tires to 100 psi. That provides razor sharp handling of the car for the trip to Vegas.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 AM
ZoomOn43
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The reason I asked originally was because a month ago when the temperatures were in the mid-70s in the morning I was spot on 30. Last couple days we've been down in the low 40s in the morning and now my tire pressure being 27. Guess the simple answer was deflate in the summer inflate in the winter. I have a good gauge and use nitrogen so there's not a lot of inconsistency just in the ambient temperature. Only way to overcome that was check often.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:01 AM
Mendonman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoomOn43
Ok so question... you're to check and fill the tires at "while cold", I understand that. What I am trying to figure out is how do you compensate for ambient air temperature differences. If I check in the summer in the AM and say it is 75 deg out and set at 30psi. That would be different if it was 45 deg out and I set them to 30 psi right? Or does it matter as long as the tires are cold.
Want some science? Boyle's Law (Perfect Gas Law) says pressure increases or decreases with temperature by about 1 psi for every 10 Degree F temperature change. Easy to calculate.

Quick Reply: Ambient temp and tire pressure