Sponsored by:

Leather on dash delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
But with a dash pad your covering up all that beautiful leather. Kind kills it for me. Shouldn't be this frequent of an issue.
Use small velcro tabs to secure the mat to the dash and the mat will be removable. You could also just let the mat sit on top of the dash without attachments when parked in the sun. Attach only when you need like when the car is going to stand in the hot parking lot for hours on end. I do this most of the time during the summer with my cars. I plan on doing the same with my Vette when delivered.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

If you have a dark colored interior and buy a dark colored dash mat there will still be alot of heat generated on the dash the best way to keep the sun off the dash is with a window shade if the car is parked for extended periods but the interior will still get hot and will that heat cause the leather problems too
Old 10-02-2018, 10:12 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
If you have a dark colored interior and buy a dark colored dash mat there will still be alot of heat generated on the dash the best way to keep the sun off the dash is with a window shade if the car is parked for extended periods but the interior will still get hot and will that heat cause the leather problems too
get a light colored dash mat. You can drive the vehicle with the dash mat. You can't do that with a sun shade. A light colored dash mat will keep the dash cool so the adhesive backing does not get hot and it will also prevent UV damage to the dash like changing color or cracking the dash. You can do this for under $100 or you can pay $4000 for a new dash. Your choice.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Can we get some more pics from folks who are have problems?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

get a light colored dash mat. You can drive the vehicle with the dash mat. You can't do that with a sun shade. A light colored dash mat will keep the dash cool so the adhesive backing does not get hot and it will also prevent UV damage to the dash like changing color or cracking the dash. You can do this for under $100 or you can pay $4000 for a new dash. Your choice.
So you pay upwards of 10K for the 3LT package and then while enjoying your vette you have look at some piece of carpet on the top of the dash instead of the leather its not something I want to do or save the dash for someone else
The following 3 users liked this post by Jmhornz71:
LimeRay (11-21-2019), owc6 (10-02-2018), Vetteram (01-31-2019)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Vinyl needs to be glued as well and GM is using the same adhesive on the vinyl as they are for the 3 LT dash. I would think if people would only put down a dash mat the dash temperature would be greatly reduced which would reduce the likihood of the adhesive failing. Excessively high temperature and UV are the culprit when leather detaches. It's a failure of the adhesive.

Leather shrinks in sun/high heat due to drying out, causing failure, vinyl not so much, thus 1LT and 2LT dash coverings don't fail.
Every dash mat I've seen looks like crap.

Only way to resolve this is to stop buying the 3LT interior. When GM realizes it's lost it's approx $4500 cash cow, they will then figure out a way to fix it.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-02-2018 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LimeRay (11-21-2019)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Leather shrinks in sun/high heat due to drying out, causing failure, vinyl not so much, thus 1LT and 2LT dash coverings don't fail.

Only way to resolve this is to stop buying the 3LT interior. When GM realizes it's lost it's approx $4500 cash cow, they will then figure out a way to fix it.
Vinyl cracks. UV destroys everything - it does not discriminate. How dash mats look is subjective. I think there are some that look very acceptable. When you consider they protect against the effects of heat and the sun better than anything out there, they are well worth the price. It's a no brainer. The 3 LT is a great looking interior and many owners prefer it over the 2 LT. If you think waiting for GM to address this issue by waiting for GM to change the design or materials used, don't hold your breath. Tadge, in the Ask Tadge forum, already addressed this issue.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

It sounds like you are repeating a mantra that you heard from the cousin of your best friend's sister you kissed in Junior high.

Not all leather dashes fail.

Finding out why some do, and (probably most don't) is the direction to take this discussion. Lumping all of them as failures is not helpful, whatsoever.
MMD (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by owc6
It sounds like you are repeating a mantra that you heard from the cousin of your best friend's sister you kissed in Junior high.
Not all leather dashes fail.

Finding out why some do, and (probably most don't) is the direction to take this discussion. Lumping all of them as failures is not helpful, whatsoever.
If these similar 3LT leather dash issues we see here practically daily aren't failures, what would you call them?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD

Vinyl cracks. UV destroys everything - it does not discriminate. How dash mats look is subjective. I think there are some that look very acceptable. When you consider they protect against the effects of heat and the sun better than anything out there, they are well worth the price. It's a no brainer. The 3 LT is a great looking interior and many owners prefer it over the 2 LT. If you think waiting for GM to address this issue by waiting for GM to change the design or materials used, don't hold your breath. Tadge, in the Ask Tadge forum, already addressed this issue.
I haven't seen any reports of C7 "vinyl dashes" cracking reported on this forum, have you?
I doubt you will find many who purchased the great looking 3LT dash lining up to cover it up with a cheap looking dash mat.
LimeRay (11-21-2019)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 AM
owc6
Team Owner

The occasional posts about them are not occurring "daily." BTW

There have been some reports ,most of which we don't know much about, because they seem to be hit and then not much in the way of followup.

I'm expecting my 3lt leather dash to last until at least 100,000 miles.
MMD (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by owc6
The occasional posts about them are not occurring "daily." BTW

There have been some reports ,most of which we don't know much about, because they seem to be hit and then not much in the way of followup.

I'm expecting my 3lt leather dash to last until at least 100,000 miles.
Why only 100K? The car is just finishing it's break-in period then.

Last edited by MMD; 10-03-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MMD

Why only 100K?
Because I can only look a week or two ahead.
The following 4 users liked this post by owc6:
cornelius967 (11-07-2019), MMD (10-03-2018), mschuyler (10-03-2018), Virtual Geezer (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 AM
MMD
Safety Car

You know the more anyone investigates the topic of the "so-called 3 LT dash delamination" the more you will see there is actually very little definitive proof this is actually happening. Yeah there might be a couple of owners here that may have posted a pic but most posts that discuss this topic are nothing more than hearsay. It's pretty much like most posters will read one story about 1 peson having a problem and then everybody jumps on the bandwagon thinking that there is a big problem with the 3 LT leather, Well folks, if you search this forum as I have you will not find much evidence to support the view that there is a big problem with 3 LT leather dashes. Check for yourself. Many posts are just conjecture with nothing to back up any claims. I personally am not concerned with this issue. I don't plan on losing any sleep over leather dashes. Sorry Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 AM
AT T 2D
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You know the more anyone investigates the topic of the "so-called 3 LT dash delamination" the more you will see there is actually very little definitive proof this is actually happening. Yeah there might be a couple of owners here that may have posted a pic but most posts that discuss this topic are nothing more than hearsay. It's pretty much like most posters will read one story about 1 peson having a problem and then everybody jumps on the bandwagon thinking that there is a big problem with the 3 LT leather, Well folks, if you search this forum as I have you will not find much evidence to support the view that there is a big problem with 3 LT leather dashes. Check for yourself. Many posts are just conjecture with nothing to back up any claims. I personally am not concerned with this issue. I don't plan on losing any sleep over leather dashes. Sorry Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.
Talk to the service department at a couple of dealerships. That's what I did and that's why I ordered a 2LZ.
The following 2 users liked this post by AT T 2D:
dbell66253 (06-03-2020), Kevin A Jones (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:12 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AT T 2D
Talk to the service department at a couple of dealerships. That's what I did and that's why I ordered a 2LZ.
Just hearsay bud. This is not conclusive evidence. If GM believes there was a problem with the dash they would have established a process to address this. There does not appear to be a major problem based on what I read on this forum. This is not to say that there are some owners who have had legitimate problems. However, a few owners having problems does not mean the preponderance of 3 LT owners also are having problems.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

GM has a problem with dashboards I had an 08 Suburban the dash was plastic and cracked as did thousands of others in the Tahoes Silverados and similiar vehicles. They either cracked at the instrument hump or where the airbag was . I had 2 crack. The dealer replaced the first not the second. unless the vehicle was under warranty tough luck even though thousands of vehicles had the problem. Did GM do anything to correct the problem NO and customer service was just paying lip service. When you LTZ's, Denalis and Escalades you are talking big bucks for the vehicle It occurred throughout the model life from 2007-2013

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
GM has a problem with dashboards I had an 08 Suburban the dash was plastic and cracked as did thousands of others in the Tahoes Silverados and similiar vehicles. They either cracked at the instrument hump or where the airbag was . I had 2 crack. The dealer replaced the first not the second. unless the vehicle was under warranty tough luck even though thousands of vehicles had the problem. Did GM do anything to correct the problem NO and customer service was just paying lip service. When you LTZ's, Denalis and Escalades you are talking big bucks for the vehicle It occurred throughout the model life from 2007-2013
Ancient history and not related to C7 Corvettes. Show us hard evidence, not hearsay, that Corvette is having major issues with the 3 LT dash delaminating? That is what is thread topic is about.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

Ancient history and not related to C7 Corvettes. Show us hard evidence, not hearsay, that Corvette is having major issues with the 3 LT dash delaminating? That is what is thread topic is about.
I know its not related to the C7 but it shows GM has had problems in the past and does nothing to correct it. I dont know if its major issues but there are enough posts here to show people are having problems with their dashes. With the cost of this to repair and the cost to purchase the option there shouldnt be any issues especially on a car the for the most part would be 70K+ purchase price. How many owners not on this forum are also having problems and if it wasnt a problem why would GM try to offset the costs to owners out of warranty. I buy GM cars and even with the problems for now will continue to do so
Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

don't think for a second that it doesn't happen but there is definitely a root cause for the failure not cracking the windows when it's really hot out leaving it where the temperatures get freezing cold it's not very durable if you don't take extra precautions so yes the dash with leather is more prone to failure if you don't take precautions

but the alternative is to have a cheap looking Dash that will also break down just take longer for me it's not difficult to throw a dark-colored towel the same color as my interior blue on to the top of the dash when it's going to sit out in the sun all day I do crack my windows the car doesn't go in the rain for a daily driver I'm sure it would be a nightmare and suck but this is a case of not being able to have your cake and eating it too oh well

Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating