C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought low mile '14 coupe 3 wks ago, motor just blew..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:33 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

From the early posts I saw these modifications on the C7 will cause a CEL from the rear O2 sensors without a tune so that indicates the conditions are beyond the system's ability to compensate.

Engineers who design cars have through education and socialization learned to look at them from the systems point of view. Owners who modify often learn the hard way that when you modify one part you are potentially impacting the entire system and had better consider this set of issues. It certainly isn't just cars. I restore vintage amateur radio gear which is often replete with owner modifications that improve performance on one parameter while creating many other problems that the proud modifier has chosen to overlook. It doesn't mean that things cannot be improved from what the factory provides but to achieve true improvement it will probably be more complex and expensive than originally expected.

Last edited by NSC5; 10-14-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Yeah, we're all just guessing here. The OP doesn't seem to be aware of a tune, but that doesn't mean it's not there, and I feel bad for him because I don't think it's going to be happy news.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Since the OP just purchased this car, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the full history on the car. You can argue until you're blue in the face about what would and would not cause an engine to grenade, but certain modifications will cause a warranty block and no amount of fighting it is going to be cost-effective.
You're absolutely right.

I didn't realize mods were involved.
If GM decides they are the cause, the OP is SOL and will have to pony up for the repair.
In this instance it would be a shame because he doesn't seem to be fully aware of exactly what his car has been thru.

With an auction car, caveat emptor and all of that, which is why I would never buy one.
Hell, I wouldn't even buy a used car period.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You're absolutely right.

I didn't realize mods were involved.
If GM decides they are the cause, the OP is SOL and will have to pony up for the repair.
In this instance it would be a shame because he doesn't seem to be fully aware of exactly what his car has been thru.

With an auction car, caveat emptor and all of that, which is why I would never buy one.
Hell, I wouldn't even buy a used car period.
Rules for buying used high performance cars.
1. Pre purchase inspection
2. No mods
3. Garaged entire life
4. Not smoked in.
5. Prior owner over 35.
These rules have served me well!

To the OP's original issue was the car ever driven in rain after the CAI was added?
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Any used performance car along with most pickups and specifically diesel pickups that still have a powertrain warranty would have to go through a trusted GM shop before I would buy one-it would need the same level of ECM scrutiny it would get if GM was investigating whether or not a powertrain failure was going to be under warranty coverage. But I expect most dealers won't be willing to do this level of checking prior to sale and once something happens it will be impossible to prove that the tuning occurred prior to and not after sale.

But this may soon be an issue of the past. The ECM GM is using on the current generation (2017 ownward) L5P diesel pickup is considered uncrackable by several firms who have provided tuning in the past. It is highly encrypted and also tied into the other controllers within the system so outside of the limited ability to "fool" it via spoofing some of the engine sensors any major modification would require a new stand alone ECM that is also programmed to communicate with the other encrypted processors used throughout the vehicle. It isn't good news for those who like to modify their vehicles but it is a reasonable response to avoiding warranty fraud AND keeping the EPA happy; a side benefit is later owners won't have to worry about the vehicle having been tuned.
Foosh (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a Porsche as well and spend time on that forum. Those guys are always plugging in Cobb tunes that just boost the sh*t out of the turbos. Then they are surprised when they get error codes or blow up a tranny or transfer case. All of these cars are designed by huge teams of very skilled engineers with deep resources, yet people are willing to trust an ECU flash from some small shop with a few guys that probably has trouble making ends meet. To me it's completely unreal that people take this risk on such expensive and complex cars.
Foosh (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun
2. No mods
3. Garaged entire life
4. Not smoked in.
5. Prior owner over 35.

To the OP's original issue was the car ever driven in rain after the CAI was added?
GOOD rules.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

2. No mods
3. Garaged entire life
4. Not smoked in.
5. Prior owner over 35.

Wasn't driven in rain at all in the 3 weeks I've had it. I have another car for rainy days.. if the dealer won't help me with getting warranty coverage, I'm at least hoping the block is usable and damage is minimal. The failure occurred at less than 2000 rpms.

Obviously I'm hoping they'll help me though..

Last edited by LT1pwrd'94; 10-14-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KrikGS
Headers and high-flow cats aren't going to void your powertrain warranty! GM would have to prove the engine failure is a direct result of those mods. The tune (if there even is an aftermarket one installed) might be more iffy depending on what actually failed. A good dealer would and should go to bat for you. I'd press for warranty coverage.
Really?........GM doesnt have to prove anything......Their position will be that the modifications took the engine out of design parameters and they cant be responsible for the consequences.

Unless the dealer intends to commit fraud, they have no say in the matter.......

Go ahead and press for warranty coverage, but dont be surprised when it's denied.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:52 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
How many miles did you put on the car since you bought it, and how did you drive THOSE miles? It probably wasn't the last ten miles that hurt the engine. A part weakened by previous abuse could have failed during normal use.
Ah, if only the poster who was suggesting that doing 0-140 acceleration runs in his Vette (another thread) with 5 tanks of gas wasn’t increasing the chances of failures.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 10-15-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,648 Likes on 6,647 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1pwrd'94
Wasn't driven in rain at all in the 3 weeks I've had it. I have another car for rainy days.. if the dealer won't help me with getting warranty coverage, I'm at least hoping the block is usable and damage is minimal. The failure occurred at less than 2000 rpms.

Obviously I'm hoping they'll help me though..
I'm afraid your only hope is you have a rocker arm or valve spring failure or something minor. Headers and no CATs would require a tune or have a CEL tripped for several reasons.

For GM to pay, a dump of the Computer has to be sent to them. Any alteration at any time, even if reversed, is recorded. As is an overrev in a downshift that occurred at an excessive rpm for the lower gear. With your M7 that could have occurred with the previous owner.

Good luck.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-15-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:05 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Young Chevrolet was a good choice. For many years, they sponsored the Lone Star Corvette Club. They also have (had?) a Corvette racing program. If they can work something out for you, they will.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:53 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good luck man, hope that it works out in the end
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Engine was taken apart today. A valve spring broke, dropping valve into piston.. they sent computer info to GM and discovered that previous owner had in fact tuned it. Was also told my powertrain warranty has been voided. I contacted chevy customer service and was told that a customer relations manager would review everything and contact me.

Gonna see what a few local shops would charge for crate motor install, may look into good set of Pistons also and a fresh tune. Or just factory crate motor with factory manifold and tune. Will see who offers what..
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Engine was taken apart today. A valve spring broke, dropping valve into piston.. they sent computer info to GM and discovered that previous owner had in fact tuned it. Was also told my powertrain warranty has been voided. I contacted chevy customer service and was told that a customer relations manager would review everything and contact me.

Gonna see what a few local shops would charge for crate motor install, may look into good set of Pistons also and a fresh tune. Or just factory crate motor with factory manifold and tune. Will see who offers what..
Maybe get one of the beast drop-in NA replacement engines with forged internals and a new clutch?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 563 Posts

2. No mods
3. Garaged entire life
4. Not smoked in.
4a. Driver never farted in the seat.
5. Prior owner over 35.

Fixt it for ya.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

If purchased from a car dealer, wouldn’t it carry a 30 day warranty?

Get notified of new replies

To Bought low mile '14 coupe 3 wks ago, motor just blew..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry that happened to you..that stinks and I bet the original owner dumped the Corvette because he figured there would be a problem with the engine sooner or later. Praying GM will help you out but my dealings with them in the past with a Silverado truck we bought new and a Volt that's paint failed were less than satisfactory.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Buyer beware!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
If purchased from a car dealer, wouldn’t it carry a 30 day warranty?

I've been thinking this the whole thread. What lot doesn't offer a 30 day (at least) warranty on a late model car?

Quick Reply: Bought low mile '14 coupe 3 wks ago, motor just blew..