Sponsored by:

Infotainment Screen Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Infotainment Screen Issues

2014 out of warranty, I am still having flickering issues with the infotainment screen, I have been able to resolve the flickering when it happens by wiggling the wires attached to the screen from the side panel access, this seems to work for a couple weeks or so?... The display part is on back order, and has been superseded and replaced by 84182649. I spoke with a local dealer today about trying to have the issue resolved on good will. I was told I will have to bring it into service department while the part is failing. I am thinking this issue is definitely worthy of good will replacement from GM, so I am thinking of wiggling the wires to see if I can get it to fail (in the dealer parking lot), my concern is, if I do cause the failure to bring it to the dealer, what if I can't get the screen back afterwords? I have followed other posts here where the OP was able to get a replacement directly from the repair company, but had to install it himself, and pay for the new display at $600 plus. Also wondering how long this part is on back order if I do get goodwill? I will be storing it for the winter so now may be a good time to start the process. I have no relationships with any local Chevy dealers as I bought the car from a Ford dealer.
The car has no previous issues or service record.

Opinions/Choices what would you do?
Shall I do nothing and keep wiggling the wire?
Should I spend the time and go for goodwill?
Bypass GM and try and get a repaired display, and install it myself?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

According to online parts sales, the order needs to be approved thru GM, and apparently they will need the failed core for repairs...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

I get in the car at lunch today, (2hrs after my post) and the screen is flickering, Great! I think I'll bring it to the dealer now!... So I drive to the dealer, it flickers the whole way, I get there, I park in front, still flickering, so I leave it running, I walk in and start talking to the first available service consultant, (gorgeous young lady BTW) tell her my situation, bring her outside, she brings her camera to take a video... no flickering at all now?!!, she says "guess it's fixed"... Needless to say I am not happy, the car just made a fool of me.....? So she says next time it happens take a video.... So I drive away dumbfounded.. I pull in an empty parking lot pop off the side cover, and start jiggling the wires, sure enough it starts to flicker again, by the time I get my camera out it stops... I keep wiggling the wires, and now it will not flicker at all, I am aggravated now, I am another day, and more miles added out of warranty, no video, and winter is coming. I'm really aggravated with this situation!! I see other posts popping up about this, and the part is back ordered to boot!!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

The part is likely available. It is sourced through an electronics refurbishment company rather than GM itself. I replaced mine myself as have others. Review the posts in the thread linked below. Your questions may be answered there, lots of good information. If not, post them here and I will try and answer them for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595594010
Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
The part is likely available. It is sourced through an electronics refurbishment company rather than GM itself. I replaced mine myself as have others. Review the posts in the thread linked below. Your questions may be answered there, lots of good information. If not, post them here and I will try and answer them for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595594010
I actually added some comments to that thread... It seems to me this display has such a high failure rate that goodwill replacement should be inevitable? If it comes to replacing the part myself, I certainly will, but before I go that route and spend my time, and $600, I would like to get GM involved... Today it flickered for 20 minutes while riding to the dealer, then corrected itself when the rep. came out?, my car is mocking me.... really
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Any idea who to contact within GM, as my issue is intermittent, and decides to fix itself at the dealer... will a video of the issue suffice with goodwill? am I barking up a dead tree?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:45 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Found this info+

Last edited by madmusicltd; 10-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:11 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Summit Racing can get it by 10/31 for $497.97, no core required.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-23476338
Old 10-16-2017, 07:42 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Flicker

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
I get in the car at lunch today, (2hrs after my post) and the screen is flickering, Great! I think I'll bring it to the dealer now!... So I drive to the dealer, it flickers the whole way, I get there, I park in front, still flickering, so I leave it running, I walk in and start talking to the first available service consultant, (gorgeous young lady BTW) tell her my situation, bring her outside, she brings her camera to take a video... no flickering at all now?!!, she says "guess it's fixed"... Needless to say I am not happy, the car just made a fool of me.....? So she says next time it happens take a video.... So I drive away dumbfounded.. I pull in an empty parking lot pop off the side cover, and start jiggling the wires, sure enough it starts to flicker again, by the time I get my camera out it stops... I keep wiggling the wires, and now it will not flicker at all, I am aggravated now, I am another day, and more miles added out of warranty, no video, and winter is coming. I'm really

aggravated with this situation!! I see other posts popping up about this, and the part is back ordered to boot!!
You’re awesome.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:34 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
Summit Racing can get it by 10/31 for $497.97, no core required.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-23476338
I'd call and verify. That's a good price, especially without a core. It's about what I paid for mine, with core.

I get your point on the goodwill. Honestly, it wasn't worth the effort to pursue for me. I really don't like dealers working on my car, and I suspect I'd run out of patience before we came to any kind of agreement. Path of least resistance was to spend about $500 and be done with it in a couple of hours. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
I'd call and verify. That's a good price, especially without a core. It's about what I paid for mine, with core.

I get your point on the goodwill. Honestly, it wasn't worth the effort to pursue for me. I really don't like dealers working on my car, and I suspect I'd run out of patience before we came to any kind of agreement. Path of least resistance was to spend about $500 and be done with it in a couple of hours. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for your insight, I have a feeling if Summit Racing calls to order one, they will find out the core will be required... So I bought the car in May with 10,500 miles on it, out of warranty. The screen roll/flicker first happened the second week I had it, and has happened about 4 or 5 times since in the 6K miles I have driven. It's working fine now since it made a liar out of me at the dealer in front of Cassandra...? I am pretty confident that if I am able to start this process on good terms with the dealership I can have it replaced on good will, but to your point if this situation starts to cause frustration, I will order the part and install it myself. I am willing to bet they will want to charge me for labor $150 compared to $500. As mentioned I am quite surprised if the part could be acquired for under $500 without the core, as this assembly appears to be a costly item. At this point IMO, I cannot do anything as mine is currently working, and the dealership has asked to see the failure in person, or a video? hmmm Maybe I just need an excuse to go back and see Cassandra... OMG

Last edited by madmusicltd; 10-18-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Infotainment Screen Issues

Quick Reply: Infotainment Screen Issues